Videos and tips to self-teach ballet/jazz/lyrical dance?

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 07:53 pm
I am 13 and have had previous ballet experience from the ages of 3-9, I took hip hop classes from 9-11. Since then due to financial issues and moving I have been out of dance. Dance has always been a very positive thing in my life, and an outlet to help deal with things when I am going through rough times. For many reasons I am in need of that outlet again, but because I have been out of dance so long, am in a very tight financial situation, and recently moved to Idaho (which is surprisingly advanced when it comes to dance) I have not been able to resume lessons. If I were to begin dance again at a studio I would need private lessons, because despite the fact that I am a freshman, I am at a 5th or 6th grade level, and it's discouraging for me when I am so far below my own age group. This is why I would like to be able to teach myself, and work my butt off until I am at a level where I can resume group lessons. I am looking for any tips and videos (youtube, or ones that I can purchase) on beginning lyrical, and beginning-intermediate jazz, intermediate ballet, basically any thing that would help me work up to an intermediate-advanced level of lyrical dance. Also any tips on good stretches, or things to avoid as to prevent straining or hurting myself as I will not have an instructor to guide me would be very helpful. Thank you so so much for taking the time to read and answer this question.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 5,605 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 08:18 pm
@bella42779,
An assortment of dance videos of many styles can be found here

http://www.ballroomdancers.com/dances/

Here are some warm up and cool down moves for you.

http://www.dancetothis.com/learn-the-moves/fit-to-dance/

If you can spend a little bit of money, get your parents to buy this for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Ballet-101-Beginners-Class-DVD/dp/B0002XQKOK

If you can't afford that, here is a playlist of 10 YouTube's on beginning ballet moves.

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLER_TzaAx4POvz0OMOX08Q4Jf_QQM5iPE

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 08:25 pm
@bella42779,
Are there no classes available through a community centre/gym?

Independent practice isn't recommended for people whose joints are developing.

There is enough danger of injury with a coach. Without a coach, it becomes a really dangerous proposition.

Perhaps you could apply for a scholarship at a local dance academy.

Definitely research what could be available to you before attempting to dance without a coach/guide.

___

The secondary issue is that most schools don't think much of the lessons available for free online - it truly is an example of 'you get what you pay for'.
bella42779

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 08:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Taking classes isn't an option for me tight now. I know that independent practice is never recommended, but as of now it is my only option and I do have a strong passion for dance, so I am putting the research into it to make sure that I practice it safely, and properly. There aren't any scholarship opportunities available for me in my area. Yes, you do get what you pay for, and that is why I have asked this same question on about 15 different q&a sites, and I have been researching for hours, to try and find what will work best, and be best for me. Trust me I have put a lot of thought into this. I am going to do whatever I can do, and if teaching myself via online videos, instructional dads, books, and online forums is the only thing I am able to do right now, than that is what I'm going to do. I'm just making sure I keep with dance because it is one of the best things that's ever happened to me. Thank you for concern though.
jespah

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 06:50 am
@bella42779,
I imagine aerobic conditioning would help you (although I'd be mindful of your body shape, plus you want to mainly keep your weight down for ballet).

Here's a workout DVD where it's based on ballet -
http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/coach_nicole_total_body_sculpting_DVD.asp

I'm not so sure how much good it will do you although I do trust Sparkpeople and Coach Nicole Nichols at least to not be trying to actively hurt you or rip you off.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 06:55 am
@bella42779,
bella42779 wrote:
Thank you for concern though.

it is more than concern.

I dance at a competitive level and I know what instructors think of students who learn/train by way of online courses and then try to enter/re-enter classes with them.

There is nothing wrong with dancing for sheer joy - and I definitely recommend it highly - but be cautious about "training" and your expectations about the results of online "training".
bella42779

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 12:53 pm
@ehBeth,
I plan on taking lessons when I am able, and when I can afford them. I also plan on getting help from friends I have in competitive dance when I get the chance to do that as well. What I am looking for is things I can do in addition, because I cannot get the professional help as much as I would like. I do not have high expectations for the things offered as online resources, I just want to be able to stay in shape and have continual reminder of proper technique until I get to a place where I can resume actual dance lessons. I promise to be careful, I know that what I am trying to do is not ideal, but if you're a dancer you have to understand where I'm coming from. This is more than a silly hobby, this is a huge part of my life, it's something that I have always been extremely passionate about and I will do whatever it takes to keep up with it.
0 Replies