Best Security Freeware - virus, spyware, spam removal, etc.

Bella Dea

Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:59 am
Thanks Timber!!
0 Replies

husker

Sat 25 Jun, 2005 09:49 pm
Yep have to remember this page - just found a couple more tools to try
0 Replies

husker

Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:11 pm
This looks like a good resource to add here Majorgeeks
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:23 pm
Lotsa the tools I recommend can be found at MajorGeeks - its a very handy repository. I'll offer a mild caveat, though, applicable to just about any of the tools; acquiring them and using them safely and effectively generally are not at all the same thing. If nothing else, carefully read the application's documentation before trying it out, and if you're still unsure of what will or won't happen, how to bring about the desired effect, avoid undesireable effects, and why, but never the less decide to go ahead anyway, don't blame the application if you find yourself dismayed by the results.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Sat 2 Jul, 2005 04:00 pm
Any kind of firewall/security for wireless internet?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sat 2 Jul, 2005 04:35 pm
Any wireless router/access point should have both hardware firewall capability and wireless encryption capability. See the appliance's documentation, or vendor's website support pages, for details on configuration and deployment.

Below are several informative articles relating to Wireless Security:

ComputerWorld: Top 10 basic wireless security practices <---- don't bother - the link has expired

ComputerWorld: Best Practices for Wireless Security <---- don't bother - the link has expired

ComputerWorld: Tips on locking down your WLAN <---- don't bother - the link has expired

Microsoft: Recommended Best Practices for Wireless Security <---- don't bother - the link has expired

PC Magazine: Ironclad Security for Wireless LANs

PC Magazine: WPA Security step-by-step

ZDNet: Limit mobile risks--a security checklist

Embarrassed Edit to apologize - I shoulda checked all those links first - thanks to PDiddie for catching the dead ones, and mentioning it. Sorry for the confusion. - timber Embarrassed
0 Replies

PDiddie

Sat 2 Jul, 2005 05:43 pm
Timber, I get 'page not found' (not a 404, but from the website itself) on the first four of your links above.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sat 2 Jul, 2005 07:42 pm
My fault, PdDiddie - those were links I had saved a while ago - obviously, they've gone stale. I shoulda checked 'em first. Thanks for the heads up, I'll edit that first post to indicate the expired links.

Here's current Microsoft article: Wirteless Network Security

The other three I guess are just plain gone. Sorry. For the adventuresome, a websearch on the term "wireless security" will bring lotsa hits, many relevant :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Vinny Z

Tue 2 Jan, 2007 11:12 am
So many tools!
I've been reading all of this and I am very impressed by how thorough you folks are. But why are there so many different tools? You'd think one of the big companies could bundle all of this into one package.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 2 Jan, 2007 11:38 am
One might wish for that, Vinny Z (and welcome to A2K) - and there are any number of outfits out there that claim to do just that. The real state of affairs, however, equates pretty much to "One size fits poorly" - no one pill cures all ills, no one app deals with all yuckware and related inconveniences. While the best practice is Safe Hex, computer security/privacy is a moving target; the badguys try to make a living by staying one step ahead of the crosshairs. Far more important than having a loaded toolbox is knowing which tools to use, and when, why, where, and how to use them.
0 Replies

Vinny Z

Tue 2 Jan, 2007 02:56 pm
Thank you for that reply, timberlandko. It was a kind of rhetorical question on my part.

I'm glad to be here. I've been reading in some of the other forums. There is certainly an interesting mix of topics and posters.
0 Replies

Monger

Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:18 am
I've just updated the first post on this thread to fix broken links and remove some apps which are no longer as relevant.
0 Replies

ismart

Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:00 am
i like AVG free....not a resource killer
0 Replies

Tha4onG

Fri 27 Apr, 2007 03:47 pm
I've used AVG Pro and Spybot S&D
For years i've loaded AVG on computers running current versions of Mcafee and Norton. Neither found viruses that AVG took care of.

I've also used spybot exclusivly. It seems to work great for me.
0 Replies

carssg

Sun 9 Sep, 2007 08:44 pm
Re: I've used AVG Pro and Spybot S&D
Hi Guys,

There is this one cool free software. I used it in my girlfriend's Internet shop to prevent users from using IE. Based on experience, IE is a spyware-and-other-crap magnet.

So, we made the people use Mozilla Firefox instead.

This software basically blocks IE (or Windows Explorer) from accessing the Internet via HTTP and/or HTTPS (other protocols can be restricted as well).

The software is IE URL Lock (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ieurllock/). Its basically an IE add-ons. You may need to disable IE's Tools->Manage Add-ons menu item so that the add-on will not be disabled.

Enjoy.. =)
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Sat 29 Sep, 2007 06:58 pm
I'm pleased to see other people praising Free AVG. IMO it is the only anti virus software I've not heard any complaints about.. and it is FREE.
What bugs me is that computer salespeople who want to sell the expensive anti virus programs are quick to tell pork-pies against free AVG, saying that they had it on their computer and they got a virus. What a load of BS. As soon as they start down that path I know I am talking to a liar. V.
0 Replies

Quincy

Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:32 am
Omg, I absolutely LOVE Opera as a browser, far better than IE or even FireFox imo!
0 Replies