Thyroid help - at a crossroads

Germlat

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 11:43 am
@Jaycee4,
I also kept telling them I choked often and felt I had something stuck in my throat. I was so embarrassed they didn't take me seriously and thought it had to be pure histrionics....incompetent jerks. I had nodules all over. The inflammation produced that effect...when the inflammation went down of course the symptoms would subside because that is common in Hashimoto's disease. My advice is go to an endocrinologist, rather than a GP.
Jaycee4

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:06 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Not a problem. Smile

I have had problems with doctors interpreting my results. One of them says I am undermedicated, another says I am normal. I have an endocrinologist but I have heard nothing back about my follow-up appointment which usually I would have heard back from now. Maybe call them and ask where the letter is?
Jaycee4

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:13 am
@Germlat,
Hi, I saw an endocrinologist in January and May this year.

January 2014 - the endocrinologist told me I had Hashimoto's but now cannot be the case if I have anti-TG and anti-TPO antibodies, whilst not positive going by March's results that are not near the range. The endocrinologist has since looked at these results and said the anti-TG antibodies are possibly still inflicting damage to the thyroid (but I have had no goitre or swelling of the thyroid since, so cannot be true and the antibodies are now out of positive range so I have no idea what she was talking about).
She didn't arrange a repeat ultrasound despite me having an enlarged thyroid which showed up on an ultrasound scan in January 2012. A second one in March showed the thyroid was normal. So that was that.
She said I had positive ANA antibodies but didn't run a full assay on them. She only did one that covered Anti-sm, Anti-Parietal and Anti-Mitochondrial. No Anti-la, Anti-Ro or Anti-Jo1 that she said she did. These aren't present on the result printout.
She did not test every single sex hormone either - only LH, Prolactin, FSH, Testosterone and Calcium. I don't know where the estrogen or progesterone tests are. I thought they're sex hormones?

So maybe if my endocrinologist is not being very thorough, I could look at going to a different one? Or is that jumping the gun?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 10:35 am
@Jaycee4,
Remember, THE INTERNET IS OUR BEST FRIEND for googling whatever ailments we get, so we can research them and end up knowing more about them than the quacks and keep tabs on them to make sure they're diagnosing and treating us correctly.Smile
Especially useful are discussion groups of people who've all either got or have had the exact same ailment, so they can compare notes and talk about what symptoms and treatment they had, etc.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/quack1_zpsdf663628.jpg~original
Germlat

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 01:24 pm
@Jaycee4,
With your antibodies being that high...it's Hashimoto's ...it's a pain in the rear since the inflammation goes up and down....confusing clinicians.
Jaycee4

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 04:14 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Yes, the internet is indeed our best friend. I second that. Smile

Thanks for your encouraging post by the way Very Happy
0 Replies

Jaycee4

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 04:16 pm
@Germlat,
Thanks for letting me know. Smile The doctors I see just say it's "autoimmune hypothyroidism" and I can only assume it's the same thing.
Germlat

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 05:22 pm
@Jaycee4,
Of course it is...it comes with highs and lows...a living hell. People telling you that you need to on anti-depressants..,don't do it!!! Get thee to an endocrinologist stat. Don't rely on a G.P. ..even with their best intention, they don't understand or have the qualifications...
Jaycee4

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 05:50 pm
@Germlat,
Anti-depressants - been there, done that. I was put on about three different anti-depressants in the past, one of which I was prescribed after the inflamed thyroid came about.

I will definitely get to an endocrinologist - a better one at that.
0 Replies