Can you live a happy life without much money?

Fil Albuquerque

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 09:13 am
Having enough money to not think about money is the optimal input money can have in one person's life. Any clever Epicurist intuits this quite early.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 01:17 pm
@nononono,
nonononono wrote:
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 01:19 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Having enough money to not think about money is the optimal input
money can have in one person's life. Any clever Epicurist intuits this quite early.
if his creative imagination is dull enuf
Fil Albuquerque

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 01:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
After a battery of never ending meetings being woken up in the middle of the night because my market shares are on the fall in Australia or China is a waste of my living time on Earth.
In fact I would go as far as to claim being stupidly rich requires a good deal of intellectual impairment.
Any smart person, scientists and philosophers are a good example, find better things to do.
hawkeye10

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 01:49 pm
Look at how the 60's/70's communes turned out...not so well. Poverty turned out to be soul deadening, so they evaporated.

Look at how the boomers, a fair number of whom tried poverty as youths, turned into the one of the most money greedy generations of all time, to the point that they have spent decades stealing from their kids and grandkids by way of piling on debt for them to pay off.

Nuff said on the subject of poverty as a way of life I think.
Fil Albuquerque

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 01:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
I am not in favour of poverty either...The world is more then a glaring black n white contrast.
This freaking tendency people have between extreme opposites as means of reasoning is totally annoying.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 02:02 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
After a battery of never ending meetings being woken up in the middle
of the night because my market shares are on the fall in Australia
or China is a waste of my living time on Earth.
Choose your investments accordingly.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
In fact I would go as far as to claim being stupidly rich
requires a good deal of intellectual impairment.
Is Bill Gates intellectually impaired??

hawkeye10

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 02:05 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I am not in favour of poverty either...The world is more then a glaring black n white contrast.
This freaking tendency people have between extreme opposites as means of reasoning is totally annoying.

You claim to be a brainiac but you are obviously out of your depth here...the thread tittle is

Quote:

"without much money" = "poverty" . Poverty is not the opposite, it is it.
Fil Albuquerque

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 02:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Who said I defend the OP ? Get your facts right.
Where did I claim I am a brainiac ? Laughing
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 02:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Statistical fluctuations alone when you have multiple investments world wide is a guarantee of headaches. There is no way around that.

Yes I consider Bill Gates and the likes "intellectually impaired" to an extent.
Let me be more clear, a certain kind of intelligence, the "trash bin" memorise all computes fast sort, lacks depth of thought...in that sense the so called "human computers" lack perception. That is not to say that Bill Gates is not far far above average, but average for reference is ****, average is beyond null.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 02:41 pm
@nononono,
nononono wrote:

When I think about the things that really make me smile, none of them really have anything to do with money. Yet money causes worry, so relief of that worry is happiness in and of itself.
That requires that one would have the right mindset, one who is a snob and want expensive things, might never get used to a pieus life.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 02:49 pm
The OP asks if one can live a happy lfe without MUCH money. Obviously, money is not enough for a happy life, but for the most part happiness is difficult when one does not have ENOUGH money. But "enough" is relative: I've know peasants who have a level of wealth that most people in the U.S. would consider extreme poverty...but they do not.
JLNobody

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 02:49 pm
The OP asks if one can live a happy lfe without MUCH money. Obviously, money is not enough for a happy life, but for the most part happiness is difficult when one does not have ENOUGH money. But "enough" is relative: I've known peasants in Central America who have a level of wealth that most people in the U.S. would consider extreme poverty...but they do not.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 03:05 pm
@JLNobody,
Since money translates into having food and shelter, they are the primary benefits necessary to have any real form of happiness. Constantly worrying about food and shelter can't produce happiness in humans even when some people become accustomed to those hardships - especially for parents who must feed their children.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 03:15 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

The OP asks if one can live a happy lfe without MUCH money. Obviously, money is not enough for a happy life, but for the most part happiness is difficult when one does not have ENOUGH money. But "enough" is relative: I've know peasants who have a level of wealth that most people in the U.S. would consider extreme poverty...but they do not.

this is pretty much irrelevant, as it must be assumed that "without much" is defined by the one asking the question. "without much" is " without enough to comfortably meet needs" or "poverty". Regardless of what is enough for each person, which varies from person to person, the constant between them all is " not enough".

Can a person be happy if the dont have the resources to satisfy their desires? Sure, but it becomes less likely they less resources you have, and the ability to be happy while your desires are not being met again varies from person to person.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 03:51 pm
@nononono,
A happy life without much money is possible.

How much happiness will depend on you.

Are you able to find contentment with the basics of life? Then there is hope for you.

Having piles of cash may offer temporary solace, yet, it can also lead you to anxiety wherein you begin to wonder if those around you are there for you or for your friends.

Is a bunch of money in your own hands needed to get food? In many places, no. There are free meals in many places and food pantries as well, along with free cheese and crackers at various locations where an art exhibit is opening. Free coffee or tea and cakes and finger sandwiches at churches, and likely other places too.

Sometimes free housing as well. It may be bed in a shelter (some of which also offer a breakfast and/or dinner) or on a piece of cardboard under a bridge or highway overpass or other locations too.

Internet access can be free at libraries along with some other spots. You don't need to have a computer of your own.

Freebies are located in plenty of places. Now you might not always get top quality or top of your choices: however the things are there for you to take.

To be truly happy does not require money or much money. You just need to locate that blissful area within yourself.

Me, I have less now than since as far back as I can remember after a series of life situations. I am also happier than ever prior.

What it comes down to is:

Did I eat today? Do I have a place to slumber tonight? Did I have an enjoyable interaction with someone today? ---I did? Then life I'd good and I'm still alive. Do I have much money? By today's standards, not particularly; but, I'm still alive which indicates possibility of any number of wonderful things happening in my future, so really it's all good and there aren't any real problems got me.
cicerone imposter

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 03:56 pm
@Sturgis,
A positive outlook on life is a positive, but it still doesn't provide the necessary wherewithal to provide food and shelter - all necessary to stay alive to be happy or unhappy.

This become abundantly clear when you're a parent having to provide food and shelter for your own family/children.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 04:00 pm
@Sturgis,
yeah all you need to do is be a Freegan. As long as you don't mind dumpster diving.

http://freegan.info/
0 Replies

nononono

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 11:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Look at how the boomers, a fair number of whom tried poverty as youths, turned into the one of the most money greedy generations of all time, to the point that they have spent decades stealing from their kids and grandkids by way of piling on debt for them to pay off.

Preach! Very Happy
0 Replies

nononono

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 11:55 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
I'm still alive which indicates possibility of any number of wonderful things happening in my future

This is a great statement.

Thank you.

0 Replies