Israel's Reality

buttflake

Sun 27 Jul, 2014 09:15 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
So if 'Islam' did it, it's okay for you to do it. I see... When did you convert?

I am doing no such thing. You are merely accusing me of it, out of an apparent desperation
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 27 Jul, 2014 09:30 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

It's not a particularly human trait to put up with suffering and humiliation because 'in a few generations' everything will be better. If it's even considered the conclusion is generally 'if we take this now it will only get worse'.

I agree but that doesn't mean it's not the best course of action for the Palestinians. Allowing human nature to dictate decisions in matters of war and peace doesn't have a great track record. It wasn't human nature that prompted Nelson Mandela to commit South Africa to a course of reconciliation. Of course there aren't and haven't been many Mandela's in the world, and there are certainly none evident in Palestine. Abbas sure as hell isn't a Mandela and mentioning Mandela and Khaled Meshaal in the same sentence is a cruel joke.

Yesterday, Charlie Rose asked Meshaal, ”Do you want to recognize Israel as a Jewish state?” Before the interpretor could finish his translation, Meshaal answered "No."

This was a oddly phrased question by Rose,and I wish he had asked Meshaa if he was willing to recognize the right of an Israeli state. Meshaal probably would have responded in an ambiguous fashion but perhaps he would have been as quick to answer this question as he was Rose's.

Quote:
Being American I'm sure the phrase 'Give me liberty or give me death.' has a resonance you can understand.

Accepting a deal that doesn't include the Right of Return or the surrender of Jerusalem (two non-starters for Israel) but which does involve complete withdrawal from the West Bank and Gaza (including most if not all settlements) and a commitment to assist the Palestinian's is establishing an economically viable state cannot, rationally, be seen as surrendering liberty.

Quote:
Jewish immigration to Israel since 1948 is about 3.5 million. In 2012 the total population of Israel topped just 9 million. That's a massive proportional influx. That would be like the US having about 4 times as much immigration as it has had in the same period. And that migration has meant compensationless displacement for many Palestinians. In the USA they just take your jobs, in Israel they take your houses and land too.

Nothing more dangerous than someone who thinks they have nothing to lose.

Compensation for those displaced can be part of any good-faith deal the parties agree upon. An agreement can be worked out if both parties are willing to make concessions and neither party makes impossible demands.

Palestinians do have something to lose, their lives and their future. I suspect that there are far more of them who realize this than we are led to believe. Hamas has no desire to achieve such a goal, but then Messhal and many of the Hamas leadership are living in luxury in Qatar while the Gazans endure IDF attacks.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 27 Jul, 2014 10:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

There will be hatred and killing for as long as the state of Israel exists in that area...and any Arabs also live there. Either all the Arabs have to be killed...or the state of Israel has to cease to exist there.[/b]

This is a rather depressing and pessimistic analysis of the situation.

Are you saying you believe that all of the Arabs in Middle East are incapable of accepting the existence of the state of Israel within the region?

This flies in the face of the fact that Israel has come to peaceful terms with Egypt and Jordan. I suppose if the Muslim Brotherhood is able to once again resurrect itself in Egypt, the treaty between the two nations may end up in the garbage can, but when asked, Morsai always said that his government intended to honor the treaty. Do you think he was lying? And I suppose if Palestinians are ever successful in ending the reign of the Hashemite dynasty by killing King Abdullah II, the treaty between Jordan and Israel won't be worth the paper upon which it's written, but, for now at least, AbdullahII has, like his father, has managed to avoid the fate of his grandfather King Abdullah who was assasinated by a Palestinian gunman.

Which seems more reasonable? That 208 million Arabs accept 8 million Israelis living in the region, or 8 million Israelis pack up their personal belonging along with their nation's military, universities, government buildings, cultural centers, industry, power plants, sports arenas, railroads and airline, and shopping mall and move to a new location?

We can be reasonably certain that Israel, even with the help of the US, will not, anytime soon, be attempting to kill all of the Arabs in the Middle East, but how certain can we be that the Arabs, with help from the Persians, will not be attempting to kill all the Jews in Israel?

Which seems more reasonable? That the Israelis and Palestinians can come to an agreement to co-exist peacefully, or the Israelis vacate the neighborhood either voluntarily or by force?

Which seems more likely?

BTW, where might Israel relocate? The Moon?

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:19 pm
@ossobuco,
This sort of thing happens every day, all over the world, and especially in the US, but our country isn't at war locally, and rockets are raining down on our towns. It's not that surprising that emotions are running hot in Israel, but what excuse do we have? Actress Stacey Dash tweets her support for Mitt Romney and immediately receives a barrage of obscene replies, including threats. Anita Sarkeesian, a feminist blogger launches a campaign against sexism in video games and she too is met by an onslaught of vile comments, including threats. Christian Rapper "Bizzle" posts a video of one of his songs on YouTube and receives, you guessed it...death threats. Charlaine Harris the author of the book series upon which the HBO vampire series "True Blood" is based, publishes her final book and faces an avalanche of obscene vitriol and threats from disappointed fans.

While any threat shouldn't be taken lightly and I'm sure that it is extremely unsettling for Keret and other like-minded Israelis to receive this sort of crap, within the context of the on-line world today, it's not all that unique

He's there and I am here and I would not attempt to argue that I have a better feel for what is going on than him, but it does seem that he may be over the top with his assessment of the phrase "let the IDF win." Clearly there are some Israelis for whom the phrase is used in conjunction with rage and hatred for fellow Israelis who do not support the current IDF actions or empathize with Palestinians, (such goons are in every nation), but I seriously doubt that everyone, or even most of the people who have the phrase as a bumper sticker on their car, or on their Facebook page, want to crush (violently or otherwise) any dissent over IDF actions.

I can easily imagine rational Israelis who desire to see the IDF route Hamas in Gaza and put an end to rocket attacks and kidnappings, and don't want the government to agree to a lengthy cease-fire or force withdrawal until all the Hamas tunnels are destroyed and their capability to fire rockets into Israel eliminated. Apparently Keret doesn't agree that the desire to "finish this once and for all" is rational and while he doesn't seem to be expressing that opinion in vitriol laced comments, I can also imagine these same rational Israelis being offended by this opinion as well as the expressed suggestion that those who do not agree with him are guilty of "aggression, racism, and lack of empathy." Certainly whatever offense they take does not warrant abusive vitriol, and definitely not actual violence, but it is easy to transpose Keret's point of view and comments to issues which this nation faces and recognize Americans who share them. Everyone who opposes amnesty for illegal immigration isn't a racist without a shred of empathy in their soul, and at the same time everyone who supports a woman's right to choose isn't a cold-hearted baby killer.

We tend to identify with people who share the same opinions and can too readily accept their point of view; their version of the story. We can and all probably do agree that dissenting opinions should not be crushed in any way, but it doesn't mean that all disagreement with those opinions is an attempt to silence them. In a way, mischaracterizing all such disagreement is an effort to suppress speech too.

0 Replies

hingehead

Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Not arguing with your logic, just trying to explain why the Palestinians won't (or at least aren't currently going to) follow it - nor would many other societies.

Your Mandela example is interesting, but ultimately the power dynamic was actually very different - and the white establishment went to Mandela, they could see the writing on the wall (very sensibly and all too rarely).
Olivier5

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 07:35 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Which seems more reasonable? That the Israelis and Palestinians can come to an agreement to co-exist peacefully, or the Israelis vacate the neighborhood either voluntarily or by force?

Which seems more likely?

The mass killing and expulsion of Palestinians, of course. What else?
izzythepush

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 07:51 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Exactly, the Israelis aren't remotely interested in peace, if they were they would have suspended building illegal settlements on occupied land. This activity has accelerated during Netanyahu's premiership.
Olivier5

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 07:53 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I don't agree that the Cold War is back. Russia is not in a position to engage in the sort of adventurism the Soviet Union was fond of, doesn't have a system of government that is, essentially, a polar opposite of the Western nations, and no aspirations or capability to dominate the entire globe.

My assessment is that Russia is making a come back as a major power, and their current political system is dictatorial. (The US system is not democratic either, IMO, but at least it is not dictatorial) All the while, NATO and the UN, 2 tools developed by the US to maintain a degree of peace, have been undermined by reckless US politics. Nobody trusts Washington anymore... That doesn't look like a good combination to me.

Oh well... Might is right, according to you, so what do you care for Crimea anyway? Putin is just getting a bigger, freer dog, and smarter at playing your game....
Olivier5

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:22 am
@buttflake,
Of course, you are dehumanizing Muslims, spreading lies and putting 1.2 bl Muslims in the same bag...
0 Replies

Foofie

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:23 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Accepting a deal that doesn't include the Right of Return or the surrender of Jerusalem (two non-starters for Israel) but which does involve complete withdrawal from the West Bank and Gaza (including most if not all settlements) and a commitment to assist the Palestinian's is establishing an economically viable state cannot, rationally, be seen as surrendering liberty.

"... commitment to assist the Palestinian's is establishing an economically viable state ..."? That goal is the responsibility of Israel? In what Alice In Wonderland is Israel? It reminds me of tough kids in the slowest classes getting a small kid to do their homework. Just pure bullying, in my opinion. Israel owes none of their inspiration, brains, industriousness to anyone, least of all Palestinians.

To assist the Palestinians, can Israel have Palestinian children raised by Jewish mothers that stress education, and some form of successful adult endeavor? Be real.
Foofie

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:28 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Which seems more reasonable? That 208 million Arabs accept 8 million Israelis living in the region, or 8 million Israelis pack up their personal belonging along with their nation's military, universities, government buildings, cultural centers, industry, power plants, sports arenas, railroads and airline, and shopping mall and move to a new location?

Within a few decades of Jews getting kicked out of Spain during the Inquisition, Spanish Catholics were known to be annoyed at all the Converted Jews (that stayed in Spain) that were rising to higher ecclesiastical positions. If its one thing a body can count on is for anti-Semitism (aka, envy of Jewish abilities/talents) to remains a constant WHEREVER!

Since Israel knows Jewish history, leaving is really not a solution long term, since Gentiles have an affinity towards envying those that are more successful than themselves. Human nature I suppose.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:29 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

Exactly, the Israelis aren't remotely interested in peace, if they were they would have suspended building illegal settlements on occupied land. This activity has accelerated during Netanyahu's premiership.

Let's face it: in practice, they ALREADY HAVE peace. What incentive do they have to part from the West Bank? None in the short term. The only reason would be to avoid the one state solution further down the line, but that's a long term...
0 Replies

Foofie

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:32 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

Which seems more likely?

The Palestinians had no national identity during the centuries of the Ottoman Empire. Perhaps, Gaza needs a foreign (Turkish?) force to oversee the Palestinians. Sort of like a big male teacher in elementary school that can maintain order, when smaller young women cannot sometimes?
0 Replies

revelette2

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:36 am
@izzythepush,
I know, I honestly can't understand why the Israelis can't or will not accept this main cause of the "conflict in the Middle East" in recent years is not really the rhetoric of Arab/Muslims thinking Israel should cease to exists, so much as it is the ever expanding settlements being built and other issues such as that. I realize that rocket launching more often than not, ends up just getting their own killed, but what else can they do? No one is making Israel obey the laws and take down their illegal settlements, they just keep telling them they need to, while Israel just keeps building them.
Foofie

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:36 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

Try asking yourself why. I believe the answer has something to do with the Orthodox Israelis increasing their numbers, to spite the Nazis attempt to make Jews an extinct people. All those kids need a place to live. Tel Aviv is pretty full. Like any good insurance claims adjuster, look for the primary cause. You might have to blame Europeans, even though the British were not part of the continent's virulent anti-Semitism.
Olivier5

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:40 am
@Foofie,
Ever heard of the concept of 'win-win', Foof? Life is not a zero-sum game.

Foofie

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:40 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

My assessment is that Russia is making a come back as a major power, and their current political system is dictatorial.

Considering there are so many Russian female models, that make many other women look like ugly ducklings, I could care less about the Russian political system, as long as those Russian women procreate for the benefit of future generations of men.
0 Replies

Foofie

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:47 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Ever heard of the concept of 'win-win', Foof? Life is not a zero-sum game.

Yes. I've heard of win-win. While easy solutions are zero-sum games, it takes out-of-the-box thinking to have a win-win solution. And, it is contingent on getting all sides to accept compromise. That might be the sticking point, since Arabs believe the land that Arabs conquered centuries ago is all for them. And Israelis believe God is a friendly real-estate agent that gave them some land.

Now, think of an out-of-the-box for a win-win solution.
izzythepush

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:50 am
@revelette2,
I think most Israelis know what's causing all the conflict, but as Ollie has pointed out, they've got what they want, but it's not enough, they want more. And they'll continue lying and killing as long as the West swallows this particular bullshit. Excellent article in today's Guardian.

Quote:
I started my life under Israeli siege and bombardment. Even as a child I remember wondering, while the smell of artillery shells filled the Beirut air in 1982 and we ran for our lives: “why is the world allowing this to happen?” On the face of Gaza’s children today I see another generation born to the same trauma, and to the same question. How can this be allowed to happen?

Gaza has been under Israeli siege for seven years. Fishermen are shot when they go out to sea. Trade is blocked. Travel is nearly impossible. Water is contaminated. Hospital supplies are lacking. The economy is kept in controlled collapse, just short of catastrophe. Israel is rationing everything that enters Gaza, from calories to world literature.

After 21 days of bombing, Israel still refuses a comprehensive ceasefire that meets the minimal, unified demand of all Palestinians – to let people lead normal lives. This is not a war, let alone one of self-defence, but a punitive expedition aimed at maintaining the siege and illegal military occupation. Civilians, hospitals and residential blocks bear the brunt of the attack because the only “military” aim of onslaught is to cower Palestinians into complete submission.

In July 2004, the international court of justice ruled that Israel’s wall and the associated regime in the occupied West Bank of settlements, land confiscation, segregated roads and movement restrictions is illegal under international law, and that governments have a legal duty to act. However, 10 years on, the international community still averts its gaze, failing to lift a finger to hold Israel to account. EU foreign ministers, even after they heard news of the massacre of Shuja’iya, demanded the disarmament only of Gaza. Yet it is Israel’s hi-tech arsenal, funded by US aid, generous EU research grants and the flourishing multibillion arms trade, that rains down horror on civilians.

Lip-service aside, western governments support the siege of Gaza, the building of settlements and therefore Israel’s periodic massacres. The impunity granted to Israel is completely at odds with the democratic will of the people, as the current international outpouring of solidarity with Gaza shows.

If governments refuse to act, then the vast international support that Israel enjoys must be tackled by international grassroots civil society, using the methods that isolated South Africa during apartheid.

Since its launch by Palestinian civil society in 2005, the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement has won support from trade unions, political parties and grassroots movements, and from vast numbers of people all over the world expressing their ethical commitment by boycotting all Israeli products, not just those from the occupied territories. As a result, BDS pressure is now starting to have significant impacts.

Artists including Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters, Massive Attack and Faithless have refused to perform in Israel in response to calls for a cultural boycott. Public intellectuals such as Stephen Hawking, Alice Walker and Judith Butler have taken a similar stance. A major step was taken recently by a group of Nobel laureates and other public figures who published a letter in the Guardian calling on governments to immediately “implement a comprehensive and legally binding military embargo on Israel”.

Now the UK security firm G4S looks set to scale back its involvement in the Israeli prison system that holds Palestinian children without trial, following an international campaign that saw US churches and the Bill Gates Foundation divest from the company. John Lewis recently became the latest European retailer to stop trading with the Israeli firm SodaStream, whose share price has halved in a year. Leaders of Israel’s settler movement have bemoaned the fact that consumer boycotts mean they can no longer export to Europe. Israeli ministers describe BDS as a “strategic threat” to the status quo, and even the US now warns that Israel faces international isolation.

The attack on Gaza is not a war between two equal sides. It is an onslaught by a powerful military state, armed and supported by the west, against an impoverished, besieged and displaced people. The talk of governments is cheap. As long as talk is all there is, the life of our children remains even cheaper. We must step up our boycott, divestment and sanctions, campaigning internationally to end Israel’s impunity.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/28/gaza-crisis-boycotts-israel-impunity-apartheid
buttflake

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 10:24 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Excellent article in today's Guardian.

There is never an excellent article in the Guardian. It is a liberal pro Islamic rag.
0 Replies