Whether to Ignore or not to Ignore

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 06:00 pm
I do not like, though, being reviled by a new disgusted a2ker for not arguing with a long time ignored person on a new post as some sort of moral failure.
I am not interested in arguing a hundred times.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 06:59 pm
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/l/t1.0-9/10444531_10204933229994222_2616118770889634528_n.jpg?oh=72ef611e560691f1c86546d2183b8666&oe=54BF3DC2
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 07:24 pm
@Buttermilk,
Quote:
I see people use ignore function like I see a lot of problems in society, they'd rather ignore the problem because it annoys them or bothers them or they become tiresome than address it. People don't want to tackle another person's views head on so they ignore them.

I beg to differ with you, my fellow poster, and must admit I'm unable to speak for anyone but myself. Forums usually consists of diverse posters from all walks of life, personal cultural experiences, from other countries even. Not all posters emote the same way with respect to some controversial posts; there just might simply be a clash of personalities when encountering incompatible individuals; some more sensitive than others, and not everyone is like you with the ability to take one and all in stride. The ignore feature serves a distinct purpose for some of us and I'm grateful this mechanism exist.
Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 07:32 pm
Additionally, people routinely ignore other people in real life. Stand around Times Square for a while, and you'll see what i mean. But more than that, if someone is being obnoxious in a publec place, such as a restaurant, a club, a bar--people routinely complain to management, who very likely will deal with the problem person. In more open public places, such as on the street, one can appeal to a police officer, who very likely will intervene. These are commonplace events, it's not at all true that this is only an issue online.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 08:07 pm
And, when you attend a large function, such as a wedding reception or a church gathering, people generally form clusters, being oblivious of the rest in attendance.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 08:15 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Anyone ignoring whosits who reads Frank gets the whole banana again.

that's when I put the quote quote quoter on ignore for a while

everyone uses it differently - I think that's what makes it a handy tool

there are some posters that I don't mind in some threads but find really annoying in other types of threads. I'll put them on ignore and read them in the areas where I find them interesting/challenging/knowledgeable. It's the same way I deal with people in real life.
Wilso

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 08:51 pm
@ehBeth,
I used to do that until JTT, who could manage to turn a jokes thread into an anti American rant. Now. I don't go back. Once I've put someone on ignore, that's the end. I never peek, never un-ignore. They're done.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 08:59 pm
@ehBeth,
That too.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 04:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
Good point Frank...Really I've seen a few of those here who do the "I'm going to put you on ignore now" is very childish especially among those who espouse the "you're just a youngin" diatribe.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 04:26 am
@Moment-in-Time,
You're right. The forum serves as an auxiliary for people to share diverse views and so forth. However, what Frank was saying and what I've seen is that people often times use the ignore feature because they simply don't like what the person is saying. you can mentally ignore someone by not addressing them as opposed to clicking a button. Or , if you don't like what the person is saying skim past what they post.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 12:54 pm
@Buttermilk,
Quote:
However, what Frank was saying and what I've seen is that people often times use the ignore feature because they simply don't like what the person is saying.

Thank you for your response, B. Far be it for me to disagree too stringently with Frank Apisa, someone whose mental gymnastics on this board I continue to admire. Albeit, life is not always so uncomplicated and some of us do not look back at those placed on ignore. To some degree, Frank might be more correct than wrong, but his interpretation just might apply primarily to ordinary posters...Not *every* poster react in the same manner, and there exist the one who might not adhere to Franks' analysis. Posters whom I feel possess a Lilliputian mind and personal bias, I have no qualms whatsoever of placing on ignore and never looking back.

Quote:
you can mentally ignore someone by not addressing them as opposed to clicking a button. Or , if you don't like what the person is saying skim past what they post.

If that were enough there never would have been the necessity to create the "ignore" feature in the first place.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 01:11 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:

Quote:
However, what Frank was saying and what I've seen is that people often times use the ignore feature because they simply don't like what the person is saying.

Thank you for your response, B. Far be it for me to disagree too stringently with Frank Apisa, someone whose mental gymnastics on this board I continue to admire. Albeit, life is not always so uncomplicated and some of us do not look back at those placed on ignore. To some degree, Frank might be more correct than wrong, but his interpretation just might apply primarily to ordinary posters...Not *every* poster react in the same manner, and there exist the one who might not adhere to Franks' analysis. Posters whom I feel possess a Lilliputian mind and personal bias, I have no qualms whatsoever of placing on ignore and never looking back.

Quote:
you can mentally ignore someone by not addressing them as opposed to clicking a button. Or , if you don't like what the person is saying skim past what they post.

If that were enough there never would have been the necessity to create the "ignore" feature in the first place.

Buttermilk was correct in what he said...but you are correct also, MiT.

Not everybody does what I was suggesting...but many do.

I've seen people make a huge deal out of supposedly putting someone on IGNORE...and then see them respond to that person many, many times.

There are the professional IGNORERS...who have to make a big deal out of the fact that they have put someone on IGNORE...and they are the people who most often are full of soup.

JTT is the only person I have ever put on IGNORE...and that was more because he posted so often with absolute blather, it got in the way of reading some of the more interesting postings. And since I put him on ignore...I have never peeked in any way at any of what he has written...nor have I read anything anyone else quoted of his once I recognize that he was being quoted.

If one actually has to go far enough to put someone on ignore...they should be ignored completely.
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 02:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
They should merely cease to exist for you.
I too had JTT on ignore for basically the same reasons. It was totally deranged.
I learned that lesson from having spendi on ignore but seeing what he said by others quotes . SO, it didn't make any sense.
I think JTT left us because it wasn't being acknowledged as living by most members.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 02:52 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

They should merely cease to exist for you.
I too had JTT on ignore for basically the same reasons. It was totally deranged.
I learned that lesson from having spendi on ignore but seeing what he said by others quotes . SO, it didn't make any sense.
I think JTT left us because it wasn't being acknowledged as living by most members.

I know what you mean, FM.

I want to suspect that some of these new, twisted members are JTT in disguise...but the constant "I hate America" is just not there.

Maybe that is part of the disguise, though!

(Spendius is a different thing entirely...and surprisingly enough, I miss him. I just hope he is okay...but for him to be gone this long has a very bad tone to it.)

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 02:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
yeh, he was our own personal curmudgeon wasn't he? He disagreed with everything for basically the same reasons.

I do hope he's ok, but I too, have these fears.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 03:36 pm
@farmerman,
Hey, farmerman, I'll b e in NYC on Sept 27 and 28th. You're welcome to join us for an a2k meet at the Holiday *Inn Wall Street after 8pm on the 27th.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 04:47 pm
Sorry but we returned from MAine in time for our town HS "homecoming weekend" and we are helping sponsor a hillbilly event and Ive gotta help with a pig barbecue.
(Don't ask)
0 Replies