Malaysia Airlines jet crashes in Ukraine

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 11:03 am
Key Points
A Malaysian airliner has crashed in Ukraine, near Russian border

Malaysia Airlines says it contact was lost with Flight MH17 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur at 1415 GMT

There were 280 passengers and 15 crew members on board
There are reports of bodies and burning wreckage on the ground

The Ukrainian military denies shooting down the plane; Ukrainian officials have accused pro-Russian rebels of being responsible
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 26 • Views: 16,271 • Replies: 275

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 11:12 am
@edgarblythe,

per CNN breaking news alert --

"Anton Gerashchenko, adviser to the Ukrainian interior ministry, claims that a Malaysia-bound civilian aircraft was
"shot down" over Ukraine by "terrorists" operating a Buk surface-to-air missile system."
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 12:54 pm
Quote:
Malaysia Airlines jet crashes in Ukraine; official says 295 people 'shot down'

(CNN) -- A Malaysia Airlines passenger jet crashed in eastern Ukraine on Thursday, prompting a Ukrainian official
to say that the flight carrying 295 people had been shot down.

The Boeing 777 was "shot down" by "terrorists" operating a Buk surface-to-air missile system, according to a
Facebook post from Anton Gerashchenko, adviser to the Ukrainian Interior Ministry.

The plane went down near the town on Torez in the Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine, according to the post,
as it flew at about 10,000 meters (32,000 feet).

"We do not exclude that the plane was shot down and confirm that the Ukraine Armed Forces did not fire at
any targets in the sky," Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said, according to his website.

He also said he has expressed condolences to Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte about Flight 17, which
was headed from Amsterdam to Malaysia. He said he invites Dutch experts to participate in the investigation
of the crash, emphasizing that he does not call it an "incident" or a "catastrophe," but a "terrorist action."
(cnn)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 01:05 pm
I was reluctant to think the plane was shot down, but it looks likely that is so. I fail to understand why it was targeted.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 01:33 pm
Watching France 24 news channel, the reporter is saying that the TASS news agency site is denying that the rebels had such missiles in their posession, but he then went back to their page of 29th June, where they say the exact opposite and that they DID have possession.
He then displayed a "DNR PRESS" separatist page on twiiter, with a photo of such missiles.
They have since been taken down off social media, but he did a google cache search and got them.

A lot of inconsistency and hasty covering up, to say the least.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 01:37 pm
One military and one cargo plane were recently brought down by the missiles in question, I think they said on the TV coverage.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 01:40 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks for picking that up.

It occurred to me that the other malaysian airplane in recent world news could have had such a fate (just a thought scatter) but of course that makes no sense. It's simply horribly sad that these two things happened to what I've read was one of the higher rated airline companies - and their passengers.

0 Replies

RushPoint

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 02:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
There were 23 Americans on that jet! I wonder what Obama will do next?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 02:12 pm
@RushPoint,
After blame is assigned, he likely will increase sanctions against Russia.
RushPoint

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 02:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not so sure about that! I mean, I hope that is all but I fear a heated proxy war between Russia and the US will be the result of such realization.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 02:19 pm
@RushPoint,
I don't see it escalating that far, but I am not the smartest person to ask.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 02:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
BBC News...."American official confirms from intelligence amd analysis, that a single surface to air missile brought down the plane."
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:04 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Nationalities on board:
154 Dutch, 27 Australian, 23 Malaysian, 11 Indonesian, 6 British, 4 Germans, 4 Belgians, 3 Philippians, 1 Canadian. Plus 47 not known yet. (Source: press conference at Schiphol - just seen on Dutch tv)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:26 pm
@RushPoint,
BFD.

CIA.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:32 pm
@RushPoint,
Quote:

There were 23 Americans on that jet! I wonder what Obama will do next?

Soak it for all it's worth propaganda wise.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:54 pm
@Lordyaswas,
MSNBC reports that US Officials confirm MH17 shot down by surface to air missile.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 05:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't see it escalating that far, but I am not the smartest person to ask.

I'm glad to see that you've gained enough wisdom to start keeping your mouth shut when you don't know what you're talking about.

I don't suppose there's any possibility of some of this newfound wisdom rubbing off on ossobuco???
oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 05:39 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
They have since been taken down off social media, but he did a google cache search and got them.

You better run and go troll them then. How dare they rescue images that Putin is trying to hide from the world.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 06:07 pm
@oralloy,
**** you.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 08:16 pm
Hopefully this is not like the Syrian gas chemical attacks where it is never nailed down who did it. We can not assume that it was the Rebels, as this is the worst thing that could happen to Putin, the pro government forces had more motive to do this than the Rebels did. It might have been a Rebel ooops, but we need to find out.