Anti-Americanism - pure bullshit

JTT

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 10:29 pm
The New McCarthyism

October 16, 2001

Charges of anti-Americanism are themselves anti-American

By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 16th October 2001

The charge of “anti-Americanism” is itself profoundly anti-American. If the United States does not stand for freedom of thought and speech, for diversity and dissent, then we have been deceived as to the nature of the national project. Were the founding fathers to congregate today to discuss the principles enshrined in their declaration of independence, they would be denounced as “anti-American” and investigated as potential terrorists. Anti-American means today precisely what un-American meant in the 1950s. It is an instrument of dismissal, a means of excluding your critics from rational discourse.

Under the new McCarthyism, this dismissal extends to anyone who seeks to promulgate a version of events other than that sanctioned by the US government. On September 20, President Bush told us that “this is the fight of all who believe in progress and pluralism, tolerance and freedom.” Two weeks later, Colin Powell met the emir of Qatar, to request that progress, pluralism, tolerance and freedom be suppressed. Al-Jazeera is one of the few independent television stations in the Middle East, whose popularity is the result of its uncommon regard for freedom of speech. It is also the only station permitted to operate freely in Kabul: many of the images of the bombing of Afghanistan we’ve seen on TV were recorded by its cameramen. Powell’s request that it be squashed was a pre-emptive strike against freedom, which, he hoped, would prevent the world from seeing what was really happening once the bombing began.

Since then, both George Bush and Tony Blair have sought to prevent Al-Jazeera from airing video statements by Bin Laden, on the grounds of the preposterous schoolboy intrigue that they “might contain coded messages”. Over the weekend the government sought to persuade British broadcasters to restrict their coverage of the war. Blair’s spin doctors warned “You can’t trust them [the Taliban] in any way, shape, or form.” While true, this applies with equal force to the techniques employed by Downing Street. When Alastair Campbell starts briefing journalists about “Spin Laden”, it’s a case of the tarantula spinning against the money spider.

If we are to preserve the progress, pluralism, tolerance and freedom which President Bush claims to be defending, then we must question everything we see and hear. Though we know that governments lie to us in wartime, most people seem to believe that this universal rule applies to every conflict except the current one. Many of those who now accept that babies were not thrown out of incubators in Kuwait, and that the Belgrano was fleeing when she was hit, are also prepared to believe everything we are being told about Afghanistan and the terrorism in the United States.

There are plenty of reasons to be sceptical. The magical appearance of the terrorists’ luggage, passports and flight manual looks rather too good to be true. The dossier of “evidence” purporting to establish Bin Laden’s guilt consists largely of supposition and conjecture. The ration packs being dropped on Afghanistan have no conceivable purpose other than to create the false impression that starving people are being fed. Even the anthrax scare looks suspiciously convenient. Just as the hawks in Washington were losing the public argument about extending the war to other countries, journalists start receiving envelopes full of bacteria, which might as well have been labelled “a gift from Iraq”. This could indeed be the work of terrorists, who may have their own reasons for widening the conflict, but there are plenty of other ruthless operators who would benefit from a shift in public opinion.

Democracy is sustained not by public trust but by public scepticism. Unless we are prepared to question, to expose, to challenge and to dissent, we conspire in the demise of the system for which our governments are supposed to be fighting. The true defenders of America are those who are now being told that they are anti-American.

http://www.monbiot.com/2001/10/16/the-new-mccarthyism/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,921 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 08:06 am
It's all in the degree of zealousness, in my opinion. Giving constructive criticism is not anti-American, in opinion; however, when one does not balance that with the good that America has done for millions of immigrants (living a better life in the U.S.), or the money that the U.S. contributes to world-wide health initiatives. Or, how they have prevented new world orders from enslaving billions.

So, without giving credence to the good that America has done, I believe an "only critical" voice can be "dismissed."

I personally believe that a degree of the criticism that comes from non-U.S. citizens, especially males, reflects a psychological reaction for feeling that one's own country, on the world stage, is just sort of flaccidly impotent, versus America being tumescently potent. It might really just come down to the childhood contest of whose is bigger.
JTT

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 09:38 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
... or the money that the U.S. contributes to world-wide health initiatives. Or, how they have prevented new world orders from enslaving billions.

The USA is the stingiest country on the planet. All USA aid is tied aid meant not to help but to force countries to buy expensive USA products.

The USA has throughout its history only slaughtered and enslaved people. They do it with installed brutal right wing dictators. The USA has been nothing but a plundering band of pirates. Notice how short you are on examples, Foofie. It's just your idiotic foofieisms.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 10:28 am
@JTT,
Pirates you say?

I love pirates.

http://medievalfaires.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/l_0f11521d3445ac7479cfb4449cfb6b85.jpg
JTT

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 10:36 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Pirates you say?

I love pirates.

You're equally fond of war criminals and terrorists, Max. The apple never falls far from the tree.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 11:58 am
@JTT,
Quote:
You're equally fond of war criminals and terrorists, Max.

That's true, and mother-rapers, and father-stabbers, and father rapers too... all of them are alright with me.

I just don't have much patience for simplistic, extremist fools.
JTT

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 12:04 pm
@maxdancona,
You've turned into coldjoint, Max.

Quote:
That's true, and mother-rapers, and father-stabbers, and father rapers too... all of them are alright with me.

Your long running silence tells us that.

Quote:
I don't mean to abuse you with verbal violence, but you have to understand what your government and its agents are doing. They go into villages, they haul out families. With the children forced to watch they castrate the father, they peel the skin off his face, they put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin. With the children forced to watch they gang-rape the mother, and slash her breasts off. And sometimes for variety, they make the parents watch while they do these things to the children.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Stockwell/StockwellCIA87_2.html

0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 01:41 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I just don't have much patience for simplistic, extremist fools.

If you don't like JTT, don't read his posts. After all, it is his topic.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 07:18 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Notice how short you are on examples, Foofie. It's just your idiotic foofieisms.

Or, I don't waste my time with people that dismiss/ignore the salient part of my post.
JTT

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 07:20 pm
@Foofie,
I didn't dismiss your nonsense, I demolished it, Foof.
0 Replies