Regarding Native American vs native American?

BillRM

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 08:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I remain skeptical qua obama; I suspect that he was born in Africa.

Come on David and someone got into a time machine and went back to 1961 and placed a birth announcement in both of the local papers.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 08:27 pm
@BillRM,
I 'm not as sure of that
as u seem to be.

David
JTT

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 08:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's because you have a grand aversion to the facts, Om.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 06:31 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I may be going on silly tangents, but you are going on hate-filled tangents. At least my tangents aren't demonizing people.

Would any one like to explain what does "tangents" mean here. Oxford dictionary offers me no clue. It sounds like a silly "touch-and-run" play to me.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 10:31 am
@oristarA,
In this context it means moving (rhetorically) in a different direction from the main subject.

Proper usage of the term requires the secondary or "tangential" subject to be related in some way (even if only tenuously) to the primary subject, otherwise it would be a non-sequitur.

Max and JTT have been off on wild tangents coming very close to non-sequitur.

A more apt tangential departure from the original subject would be the comment made about Bill Clinton's Native American heritage.

Comments made about Obama's African heritage and where he was born may be tangential to the comment about Clinton, but are non-sequitur as regards the original discussion.

As you probably have noticed, A2K members go off on tangents all the time, and so the threads often appear as rivers with many branching tributaries.
Foofie

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 11:17 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

As you probably have noticed, A2K members go off on tangents all the time, and so the threads often appear as rivers with many branching tributaries.

Ah yes, "tributaries." Know them well.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 11:22 am
@Foofie,
Tributaries? That is a horrible metaphor.

A tributary is one of multiple source streams merge into one coherent river. I think what you intend is the opposite of a tributary. The correct term is "distributary" (one of many streams that branches off from a main river).
Foofie

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 11:25 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

A tributary is one of multiple source streams merge into one coherent river. I think what you intend is the opposite of a tributary. The correct term is "distributary" (one of many streams that branches off from a main river).

I was imitating W.C. Fields; nothing more.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 12:04 pm
@maxdancona,
OK - the opposite of tributary
JTT

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 01:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Indicative of how you and Foofie are all talk, no thought, Finn.

Max's pedantry is similar to the same stream of BS that has often afflicted the English language. The metaphor is apt because any stream that is off the main stream is a side stream. It matters not at all if you paddle, literally or figuratively, upstream or downstream, it's still off stream.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 03:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
A tributary is upstream, distributaries are downstream. That is all.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 06:37 pm
@Foofie,

maxdancona wrote:

Foofie wrote:
I was imitating W.C. Fields; nothing more.
What is the purpose of doing so ?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 07:42 pm
@farmerman,
A couple days late and at least a dollar short, Farmer. Finn and Foofie know they were alright.
0 Replies