Why I chose to believe

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 11:53 am
Quote:
Frank Apisa said to me: Glad you said it is fair for some people to be slaves and for some to be slave owners. Is confirms my opinions that you simply are shooting your mouth off rather than discussing like an intelligent person.

Think outside the box mate..Smile
The words "slave" and "servant" are interchangeable in varying degress depending on the time, the place and the circumstances.
For example a couple of hundred years ago the blacks were having a terrible time of it in the sweaty African jungles being bitten by mosquitoes, snakes, pitbulls and crocodiles etc, and fighting off attacks by other tribes who wanted to eat them.
Then American "employment officers" went there and gave them free passage on ships to America where they were given free lodging, free food, free medical care, and good steady jobs on the plantations in that great Christian country.
Plus of course, they were also taught to speak English which finally civilised them once and for all, they'd never had it so good, check out how they're singing happily as they go off to work..Smile

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 01:26 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said to me: Glad you said it is fair for some people to be slaves and for some to be slave owners. Is confirms my opinions that you simply are shooting your mouth off rather than discussing like an intelligent person.

Think outside the box mate..Smile
The words "slave" and "servant" are interchangeable in varying degress depending on the time, the place and the circumstances.
For example a couple of hundred years ago the blacks were having a terrible time of it in the sweaty African jungles being bitten by mosquitoes, snakes, pitbulls and crocodiles etc, and fighting off attacks by other tribes who wanted to eat them.
Then American "employment officers" went there and gave them free passage on ships to America where they were given free lodging, free food, free medical care, and good steady jobs on the plantations in that great Christian country.
Plus of course, they were also taught to speak English which finally civilised them once and for all, they'd never had it so good, check out how they're singing happily as they go off to work..Smile

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2oyu4m8gCog[/youtube]

Yeah...keep working that "slave and servant were interchangeable" nonsense as much as possible, Romeo.

It shows that even you realize what a scumbag the god would have to be to say it is permitted to own and trade in slaves.

Servants could never be sold...and their kids could not be sold from them...and their spouses could never be sold away from them. Someone with a servant could not bequeath the servant to a son...and the son could not keep the servant forever as a chattel.

Those kinds of things only happened to slaves...one of the most degrading things ever to happen to a live human being.

But your futile...and laughable...attempts to justify this abomination means even you realize how disgusting it is.

Yes, it is disgusting, Romeo...and anyone worshiping a god like that ought to "think outside the box." Maybe "inside" the box also. But at least, that person ought to at least THINK!

Thanks for the help, Romeo.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 02:22 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said to me: But your futile...and laughable...attempts to justify this abomination means even you realize how disgusting it is.

When we were about 8 years old me and my schoolpals used to look at our English skies whenever we heard the sound of jet engines overhead. Sometimes it was a Vulcan or maybe even one of your American B-47's, and we experienced a warm cosy glow knowing that you were prepared to go drop nuke bombs on russki cities on our behalf.
You've said half a million times that god is a monster, yet you admitted in the dialogue below that you "could be" a monster too, so isn't it a case of pot-kettle?

Romeo said to FA-"When you were in Strategic Air Command during the Cold War years, you were quite prepared to nuke russki cities full of fluffy kittens, so doesn't that make you pretty much of a monster yourself?"
Frank Apisa replied: "Could be, Romeo." (23 July 2014)

Cue the famous Romeo smug grin-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/man_grin2_zpsc05015ab.jpg~original
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 02:25 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said to me: But your futile...and laughable...attempts to justify this abomination means even you realize how disgusting it is.

When we were about 8 years old me and my schoolpals used to look at our English skies whenever we heard the sound of jet engines overhead. Sometimes it was a Vulcan or maybe even one of your American B-47's, and we experienced a warm cosy glow knowing that you were prepared to go drop bombs on russki cities on our behalf.
You've said half a million times that god is a monster, yet you admitted in the dialogue below that you "could be" a monster too, so isn't it a case of pot-kettle?

Oh no...don't tell me you are worshiping me now!!!

Yup, I could be a monster. But so what?

If the god you are worshiping is a monster...then you are in trouble.

C'mon.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 02:39 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Yup, I could be a monster. But so what?

You were born a few hundred years too late mate, you missed your true vocation..Smile-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Inquisition_MP_zpsaaddff53.jpg~original
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 02:47 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Yup, I could be a monster. But so what?

You were born a few hundred years too late mate, you missed your true vocation..Smile-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Inquisition_MP_zpsaaddff53.jpg~original

Cute...but apropos of nothing being dealt with here.

You are flailing about now, Romeo.

Stop that. Be at your best!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 02:47 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I strongly doubt Frank could ever be on the Torquemada side of the inquisition.
More than likely he'd emigrate to Iceland. Very Happy
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 02:54 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I strongly doubt Frank could ever be on the Torquemada side of the inquisition.
More than likely he'd emigrate to Iceland. Very Happy

Thank you, Neo.

I am not hateful of people who "believe" in gods. But when they want to discuss the issue in this forum...I discuss! Wink
0 Replies

MattWSpanjer

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 02:06 am
@neologist,
Bless you my friend. Faith is power. As I always say, have faith in yourself and others shall follow.

Matthew William Spanjer
[email protected]

Feel free to email me, anyone with questions regarding FAITH.
0 Replies

Squeakybro

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 11:33 am
I choose to believe because I am blessed with the fear of God.
FEAR THE LORD GOD THE FATHER NOT THE Lord JESUS
Acts 9:31
31 Then the churches throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and were edified. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied.
Luke 1:50
50 And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.
1 Pet 1:17-19
17 And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one's work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear;
18 knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers,
19 but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.
Phil 2:12
12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
Heb 10:31
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
John 14:6
6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
John 10:1
1 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
John 5:37-38
37 "And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form.
38 "But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe.
John 6:29
29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."
John 6:44-46
44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
45 "It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.
46 "Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father.
Matt 15:13
13 But He answered and said, "Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted.
Heb 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
James 2:26
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
Rev 21:8
8 "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."
Rev 20:10
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
Rev 20:15
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.
Luke 12:4-5
4 "And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
5 "But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!
Acts 10:35
35 "But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.
Rom 3:19-20
19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Rom 3:18
18 "There is no fear of God before their eyes."
Rom 3:21-23
21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,
22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Mark 5:33-34
33 But the woman, fearing and trembling, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell down before Him and told Him the whole truth.
34 And He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace, and be healed of your affliction."
Luke 8:47-48
47 Now when the woman saw that she was not hidden, she came trembling; and falling down before Him, she declared to Him in the presence of all the people the reason she had touched Him and how she was healed immediately.
48 And He said to her, "Daughter, be of good cheer; your faith has made you well. Go in peace."
Acts 9:6-7
6 So he, trembling and astonished, said, "Lord, what do You want me to do?" And the Lord said to him, "Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do."
7 And the men who journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice but seeing no one.
Acts 16:29-31
29 Then he called for a light, ran in, and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas.
30 And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."
1 Cor 2:2-3
2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling.
2 Cor 7:15
15 And his affections are greater for you as he remembers the obedience of you all, how with fear and trembling you received him.
Phil 2:12-13
12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
Heb 12:21
21 And so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, "I am exceedingly afraid and trembling.")
Rev 14:6-7
6 Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth-- to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people--
7 saying with a loud voice, "Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water."
Heb 4:1
1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
Heb 12:24-29
24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.
25 See that you do not refuse Him who speaks. For if they did not escape who refused Him who spoke on earth, much more shall we not escape if we turn away from Him who speaks from heaven,
26 whose voice then shook the earth; but now He has promised, saying, "Yet once more I shake not only the earth, but also heaven."
27 Now this, "Yet once more," indicates the removal of those things that are being shaken, as of things that are made, that the things which cannot be shaken may remain.
28 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear.
29 For our God is a consuming fire.
(NKJ)
xxxxx It takes the fear of God to obey some of the commandments. To fear man weakens your desire to obey God. But if you can find the fear of God in you, that will weaken your fear of man so you can obey God.

Isa 66:1-2

1 Thus says the LORD: "Heaven is My throne, and earth is My footstool. Where is the house that you will build Me? And where is the place of My rest?
2 For all those things My hand has made, and all those things exist," says the LORD. "But on this one will I look: on him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, and who trembles at My word.
(NKJ)

Matt 18:34-35
34 "And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.
35 "So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses."
(NKJ)

1 Tim 5:20
20 Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear.
(NKJ)

2 Cor 7:1

1 Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
(NKJ)

Rom 11:19-22
19 You will say then, "Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in."
20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear.
21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either.
22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.
(NKJ)

0 Replies

Josie Burness

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 06:25 am
@neologist,
Your original post was very well written. Great story.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 09:17 am
@timur,
You never question a putdown, only a boost.

0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 09:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
You seem to me to be 3 things: Trivial, in possession of no sure truths, and committed to making the world just like you.

Really? Nobody with faith is reasonable and has struggled their way to more truth.
Really? you have to believe that !

0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 12:34 pm
@timur,
But the real rebuttal is to point out that that is not believing, not in any sense that Judaism or Christianity would acknowledge. That is Fideism, nothing more or less.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 12:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Well I am a convert, a Christian. And Jesus completely rejects what you say.
Now, do I think He is more reasonable than you? Certainly.

You are a blind man who is only happy if he can believe nobody else can see.
0 Replies

CVeigh

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 11:06 am
@timur,
What does being alone have to do with you thoughtfully responding to a serious question.
0 Replies

CVeigh

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 11:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, Maybe if you read people who shared your view, were eminently smart and thoughtful, and changed their mind, you wouldn't sound like the ole farts I see at the coffeeshop.

All that really matters is that you 'SEE' that people have in fact greatly valued Faith. You don't but that the world is not your mirror should be clear at your age.
0 Replies

CVeigh

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 11:09 am
@timur,
Numbers do make a true point stronger. That is only logic. You can't posit a random reception to truth/error in the world.
0 Replies

MethSaferThanTHC

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 10:51 am
?
But 'belief' can be its own story mirrored to that of a man named Jesus!
(Ref. mt 5:44-47 ? Sun shines on the believers and non-believers.)
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2022 03:30 am
@neologist,
It doesn't seem like you do choose to believe, though.

Rather much of this seems to be a trite condemnation from yet another person who doesn't understand the religion they have condemned.

I recently read an analysis of Demons by Imagine Dragon. It's actually quite interesting, because the author of the song clearly knows about Jesus and Christianity from several images, but the interpreter leaves with the the impression that they have a very depressive and negative view of self.

And it struck me that this is the fate of many ex-Christians. They think God is punishing them, when really they are punishing themselves by dwelling on their demons. Dude, Jesus doesn't care if you have demons.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IiStHMNE16Q
0 Replies