Peter Jackson's King Kong Remake -- Serious or Satire?

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:56 pm
Peter Jackson has done some interesting casting for his remake. Now the question is whether this will be a serious remake or a comedic satire?

CNN LINK
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 878 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:58 pm
I don't care what it is, I'm seeing it!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:08 pm
If handled with some deft inspiration it could be "modernized" and gain a new identification. There's no way anyone can recreate the atmosphere of the original. Even the black-and-white gave it a kind of ape film noir look.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:10 pm
"Ape film noir"....I think you just invented a new genre, LW.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:13 pm
Well, it did in effect have a femme fatale and it was sort of a mystery with the anti-hero dying at the end.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 02:45 pm
is it a remake of the 1933 original, or dino's lame 1976 remake?
i could see jack black playing charles grodin's character, but no way is he leading man material...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 02:52 pm
The wry sexual tension of the 1976 was amusing and about the only good thing about the film. The special effects were creaky and Jackson now has a team to rival any for CGI effects. I could see Jack Black playing the Carl Denham character straight so it could turn out to be inspired casting. There's been four remakes, incidentally, including a cartoon series:

http://www.imdb.com/find?tt=on;mx=20;q=King%20Kong

This is going to have a lot to do with the script. If there is some really good wry humor in the mix but Jackson is able to recreate in color the almost metaphysical mystery of the original. But, isn't the suspense pretty much wrung out of the story?

We know one thing, Kong will likely be back to climbing the Empire State again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 03:02 pm
(Well, I wouldn't call the cartoon series a remake -- one still has to consider all the Japanese Kong movies).

Perhaps Jackson intends to write a heavily revised plot.

The film's credits as of now:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360717/fullcredits
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 07:03 pm
It's going to be set in the thirties. It is supposed to follow the original script with only a few slight changes.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:01 pm
That's one old ape...are we certain his hips are good enough to scale the Empire State Building now?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 06:07 am
how could i forget king kong lives ??

also, wasn't there a godzilla vs king kong in there somewhere?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:01 am
There was a slew of Japanese films featuring the giant ape with various other giant fauna.

I don't know if that isn't a mistake to follow the original script so closely. The script now comes off as rather campy.
0 Replies