So, how boring is soccer/futbal now?

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 04:17 pm
Germany trounced Brazil 7 to 1 today. Is that exciting enough for you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,584 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 04:22 pm
Yes, it was. But I'm in the generally not-bored-by-it lineup in the first place.

You may notice I'm more and more posting about sports and photography and less about politics and world and U.S. power struggles. I don't like to be aggravated all day long.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 04:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not the worlds biggest sports fan, but my son played soccer and was in little league and of course I went to all the games. I've been enjoying the World Cup, although I can't say I'm very knowledgable about the fine points. Also my husband played very competitive softball for many years. I loved watching him play, he was a natural. He's also nuts about college basketball, ergo I've become a fan.

Even if you can't do color commentary while watching, I think it's amazing to watch athletes compete in surprising ways. I think everybody can appreciate a skilled play by skilled player.

I did notice that you've been interested in the games, I have been as well. I also understand that some folks find it boring, so if they do, they shouldn't watch. I knew so little about basketball when I first met my husband, my early characterization was that whoever started first would win the game. But I gradually learned to appreciate the skills involved. I still can't call traveling, but my husband usually jumps up, screams "TRAVELING" and makes that signal with his hands you see the coaches make. That's my tip off that traveling has occurred.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 04:58 pm
@glitterbag,
I just read the other day, literally the other day, that traveling is ignored a lot now. (I've gone downhill in basketball interest.)

Me, I liked the dribbling*, with memories of Walt Hazzard, a guy from my old university. I graduated from there the year of the photo in this link:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/story/_/id/7252549/walt-hazzard-point-guard-ucla-first-title-team-dies-69

I was busy back then, but managed to get interested by osmosis.

I play fantasy games and stuff (reading up) - my equivalent of other peoples video games. It keeps my brain scrounging around and besides, I like some of the players and teams.

Re a2k fantasy games, they are, by and large, islands of courtesy, the taunting ne'er ugly. People even explain stuff.
My sports interest has always been the stories.

*Probably why I immediately liked tiki-taka in soccer/futbol. I posted a video on it, but no link.
0 Replies