How to choose a good doctor. An inside point of view.

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 03:01 am
I will like to make my personal observations about how to choose a good doctor.

The best bet to a good health is to have a good professional that is caring and in continuous education. I recommend to stick to that doctor for the rest of your life and never let him go. Obviously unless he somehow looses credibility.

Characteristics of a good doctor:

-Updates frequently. Usually we display certifications on our offices or have an affiliation to an speciality college. Most of the colleges show online the names of the doctors that are members and the date of their last certification. Search for info on the web before you make an appointment.

-Explains in common lenguage your disease and the treatment. Learning medicina requires to learn up to 4000 new words. Many of them out of a death toungue (latin), so it is like learning a new lenguage. A doctor that takes his time to make a traslation is worth his weight in gold.

-Insists on good compliance. Me and various collegues had found something disturbing: patients that actually complain or dislike that a doctor insist on changing bad behaviors, increasing compliance or that talk too much. I always had tought that if i now that i have diabetes and my doctor had been insisting me on every visit for the last 5 years to improve my health even when i had been acting like a jerk to my body, he really cares.

-Takes his time to hear. On modern life, time is priceless. Unfortunatelly many socialized medicine systems work on schedules, this cuts a lot the time to create a solid doctor patient relationship.

-Makes you feel you can trust him. This is quite personal. Depends a lot about vibes. If you fee that he or she is sincere and true, and that you can talk to him even about the most embarassing syptom, he or she may be the one for you.

Common myths of choosing a doctor:

-Age: this is the most unimportant factor. I had heard many people complaining "do not go with the young one he is unexperienced", or "the old doctor only gives outdated treatments".

How to find one:

Ask family members and peers.

Your best bet are couples with kids, principally a child with asthma or type one diabetes. They usually meet a lot of doctors threw years of battling really troublesome diseases. They can know someone who can meet your necessities.

I hope i can have some back up from you guys and try to improve my little attempt of a guide
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,786 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JTT

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 08:06 am
@luismtzzz,
Quote:
I will like to make my personal observations about how to choose a good doctor.

I WOULD like to OFFER my personal observations about how to choose a good doctor.

WOULD is more formal, more deferential, unassuming, more natural.

Great advice, Luis.

chai2

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 08:51 am
I had a doctor exactly like this luis. In fact, 2 in the same practice.

I intend to have her back at the end of the year.

Unfortunately I chose the wrong plan from Health Insurance Marketplace, thinking she'd be on that plan.

This coming year I'll spend a bit more to get her back.

0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 02:13 pm
@JTT,
Thank you very much. This is exactly the kind of mistakes i wish to evade.

I do not know why someone downvoted your post. Maybe there was a miss understanding.

I am surprised this post didnĀ“t recived to much attention.
jespah

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 02:37 pm
@luismtzzz,
Give it some time - topics sometimes take a little time to develop.

This is good advice, certainly (I know you've mentioned before about seeking out parents of an asthmatic child. That's a kind of unexpected take on things, but it makes sense).

PS I think you may mean avoid and not evade. But they're very close terms (I had to look them up to be sure; evade adds an element of using trickery) so it's completely understandable. You also made yourself, which is key. Smile
0 Replies