medical malpractice?

john76

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 07:56 am
I found out I was pregnant on Nov. I had an ultrasound found in uterus. I returned for follow up after 2 days. I had an ultrasound again. She told me that is a ectopic pregnancy. I was shocked and asked the doctor why I was told the baby is in uterus two days ago. She said the body absorbed it and gave me two options only with methotrexate or surgery. I asked she had no bleeding or any pain, if I can wait for couple days and double check. but doctor said my hormone levels (HCG level) is very high. She can't wait. After a long discussion with doctor, I choose to trust her. She gave a shot with methotrexate and told me that will take 4 to 6 weeks for the pregnancy to be absorbed. Also told me come back after 4 days to have another shot. But I got a call from clinic next day and told me my HCG level was too high. Methotrexate will not work. I must have a surgical. So, she remove my fallopian tube. But the report shows no evidence of ectopic pregnancy in the entirely submitted fallopian tube. I returned to doctor office for follow up on two weeks later .The doctor said everything was fine, I was doing well. Told me to start with birth control pill and come back after 4 weeks. I got a called from doctor next day again. Told me my HCG levels still high. I had an ultrasound found a yolk sac 6 mm in size and a crown-rump length. But after that the baby never growing. Also, I never seen Dr after that day. Even I request to see her and told them I have couple questions to ask her.But the answer is she was too busy. So, I talk to the supervisor ask him if we can set up an time to talk to her . He said ok and told me come back next week. but she didn't show up. So I believe that was misdiagnoses because she didn’t check the my HCG level before treat with methotrexate. I tried to find a medical malpractice attorney. But they all said i have very difficult situation. Told me to find other attorney. What can i do now?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,072 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 08:25 am
@john76,
Find another attorney.

But recognize that failing to answer your questions is generally (not always) considered to not be medical malpractice. It's the practice of medicine that is at issue, e. g. whether you were given all the available options, whether necessary precautions were taken, etc. But the fact that they won't talk to you now is probably not going to be seen as malpractice.

But I would still see another lawyer. Lay your cards out on the table and see what happens. But be prepared to accept it if you're told that you maybe have a case but not a lot of damages.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:50 pm
@john76,
What jespah said is true. It can hardly be formed an accusation on this situation. I will try to explain the medical reasons;

First, there was something wrong going with that pregnancy. With those high levels of HCG and the difficulty to visualize a correctly growing embryo inmediatedly will ring the bells of any cautious Gynecologist.

Second, ectopic pregnancy is a surgical emergency, the decisions must be made fast.The reaction was appropiate to the suspicion. Although the tube was clean the clinical alghoritm was followed.
0 Replies