Hypothetical game. Reaction of religions to an hypothetical encounter with a alien species.

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 05:58 pm
I will like to propose a game. Let´s play with imagination and HAVE FUN.

I am a huge fan of scifi. I think most of you agree that sometimes science discussions trend to became a harsh battle between religion and scientifical facts (...and our favorite looney).

So i propose to let aside our theorical weapons, and our rethorical shields to do something constructive. I propose:

Hypothetical reaction of diverse human religions to an hypothetical discovery of an alien species.

I will like to see some religious pals providing some insight as well.

So the general rules i propose are:

Use your imagination religious people all this is hypothetical
Try not to begin a "my god can beat your god" battle
Try not to deviate the porpouse of this thread to a discussion about feminism (lol, just a little joke)
Any concept is worth it does not matter how crazy it sounds

Specific rules:

You are free to play with the type of alien species you want. Intelligent, unicellular, simple creatures, hostile, silicon based, non humanoid, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 3,729 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:23 pm
Technically Jesus was an "alien"..Wink

Jesus said- "I know where I came from and where I am going, but you have no idea where I come from or where I am going....you are of this world, I am not of this world...No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven - me"" (John 8:14/ 8:23, John 3:13)

We don't know where the "Jesus Stargate" is, but we can find it through him-
Jesus said - "Enter through the narrow gate....small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it" (Matt 7:13)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/stargate-search_zps3e54b809.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Stargate-jungle_zps730b39dd.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/stargate_world_zps75f6a7d8.jpg~original
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:33 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Don´t let Mr Q read this. But there is actually a sci fi book that plays with this possibility. It is callen Trojan horse, by spanish writter J J Benitez. Great book.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:49 pm
@luismtzzz,
luismtzzz wrote:

Don´t let Mr Q read this. But there is actually a sci fi book that plays with this possibility. It is callen Trojan horse, by spanish writter J J Benitez. Great book.

Yeah, even the Bible reads like a sci-fi book, except the ancient people had no modern words to describe what they were seeing, so they had to describe it in their own old-fashioned language, for example-

"And God sent an angel to Jerusalem to destroy it. As he was destroying, the Lord looked and relented of the disaster, and said to the angel who was destroying, “It is enough; now restrain your hand.”
Then David lifted his eyes and saw the angel of the Lord standing between earth and heaven, having in his hand a drawn sword stretched out over Jerusalem" (1 Chron 21:16/16)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/dragonstar-space.gif~original
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:54 pm
Scientists are always scanning the stars looking for alien intelligence, but what if they've already visited ancient earth?-

"There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown" (Genesis 6:4)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Giants-hominids_zpsee8624c5.jpg~original
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 07:05 pm
In one Star Trek episode, an alien looks exactly human in every way, but at the end he evolves into this purely spiritual life form-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/survs-aaa2_zpscfe001f9.jpg~original

Maybe that's also the ultimate final step of evolution for humans too, when our squishy human bodies die and we become brandnew life forms-

"In the twinkling of an eye the dead shall be raised imperishable and we shall be changed" (1 Cor 15:52)
"So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable...it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.. flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Cor 15:42-50)
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 07:11 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I was read by my father, who introducted me to sci fi, the chapter of Ezekiel´s wheeled machine when i was a little boy.

I find it fascinating.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 07:23 pm
Anyone who believed that man is at the center of the universe would obviously have a problem with intelligent aliens.
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 07:23 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Although, strange artifacts appear described in many pictorical and written records of ancient civilizations. Mayan, Aztec, Cherokee, Chinese, Indi, etc... The same way as the figures of dragons they seem kind of connected to our biological capacity for imagination. Same species, same mechanisms of imagination.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 07:31 pm
@Brandon9000,
That is true. But i was expecting a little bit of imagination.

I ended a few months ago Ender´s Game series by Orson Scott Card, and he describes a contact between humans and a less scinteificaly developed sentinent species. They reaction to religion and how they adapted to it with their particular biology was really interesting.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 08:04 pm
@luismtzzz,
luismtzzz wrote:
I was read by my father, who introducted me to sci fi, the chapter of Ezekiel´s wheeled machine when i was a little boy.
I find it fascinating.

Yes, Ezekiel's "wheel" is one of the most well-known of the bible's close encounters, a NASA scientist wrote this book about it-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ezek-book_zps41e28639.jpg~original

And people have come up with all sorts of ideas what it looked like such as this-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ezekielswheel.jpg~original

Ezekiel goes into a long highly-detailed description of what he saw, here's a bit from it-
"I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire.
Also out of the midst thereof came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance; they had the likeness of a man" (Ezekiel chapter 1)
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 08:28 pm
Incidentally I said earlier that we might evolve into purely spiritual life-forms when our bodies die, but let me just say the Bible doesn't make it clear either way.
For example Jesus said to his mates at the last supper- "The next time I drink wine with you, we'll be drinking it fresh and new in my father's kingdom" (Matt 26:29)
which indicates we'll be able to drink no matter what kind of life-forms we are..Smile

A golf fan once asked evangelist Billy Graham- "Will there be golf courses in heaven?", to which Graham answered- "Yes if you want them to be".
I like that answer because it suggests heaven is like a gigantic holodeck where we can run whatever program we like..Smile

But the bottom line is that heaven will be Paradise no matter what form it is..Smile
Jesus said to the criminal dying on the cross next to him-
“Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23: 39-43)

Computer, run "Valley of the Gwanji' holodeck program!
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o487/Castelverde/ARG-P-9.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 08:40 pm
I recall a sci fi tale about gigantic aliens landing on Earth and settling it with their own civilization. The humans kept attacking them in every way they could, but the aliens were not slowed at all. At the end, two persons are gardening, discussing the alien situation. They wonder what the drops of liquid is that has been falling all afternoon. Then one asks the other, "What are you putting on the garden?"
Answer: "Insecticide."
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 09:30 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I see you are quite versed on sci fi. Also in other non orthodox interpretations of the bible. I had found your posts very interesting.

Now I have a question. Suppose that today a human probe that succesfully landed on Europa found what seems to be a worm like creature thriving on the cold surface.

I rise the next questions:

How this could affect the creation concepts?

This creatures demostrate that even in really adverse conditions life can thrive, so is logical to think that there could be other worlds with more developed life forms even intelligent life. How could a religious perspective manage this possibility?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 10:04 pm
@luismtzzz,
luismtzzz wrote:
.. Suppose that today a human probe that succesfully landed on Europa found what seems to be a worm like creature thriving on the cold surface.
I rise the next questions: How this could affect the creation concepts?
This creatures demostrate that even in really adverse conditions life can thrive, so is logical to think that there could be other worlds with more developed life forms even intelligent life. How could a religious perspective manage this possibility?

No sweat, it's quite possible that God didn't limit his Genesis Project to just the Earth but made other worlds too-
"God..has in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he has appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds" (Hebrews 1:2)

And maybe Jesus meant he was going to talk to intelligent life out there when he said- "There are other sheep not of this fold that i must bring" (John 10:16)
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 10:07 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I like how you reason religion. I am enjoying your answers.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 10:13 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Now suppose we discover an intelligent species. It is capable of communication. They have a moral and ethical sense. They can understand the scriptures. But they are nothing similar to us. Their body structure differs completely from a humanoid appearance.

Could they be considered children of god?

Isn't it supposed that we were all created on his image?

How the creation works with them?
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 10:55 pm
@luismtzzz,
luismtzzz wrote:

Now suppose we discover an intelligent species. It is capable of communication. They have a moral and ethical sense. They can understand the scriptures. But they are nothing similar to us. Their body structure differs completely from a humanoid appearance.

Isn't it supposed that we were all created on his image?

How the creation works with them?

What if you tell them that they're children of God and they disagree?
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:12 pm
@Brandon9000,
It's possible indeed. I formulated the question since according to the predominant religion we were created as image and similar in apperance to God. They do not look like us. How can religions react to such discovery?

By the way. What if they evolved in an environment that prevented them of developing the concept of mysticism required to produce a consistent belif on an untangible been.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 04:25 pm
Quote:
Luismtzzz asked: Now suppose we discover an intelligent species...
What if they evolved in an environment that prevented them of developing the concept of mysticism required to produce a consistent belif on an untangible been.

1- If an alien species likes Jesus, they become God's children no matter what they look like, in the same way as Christians on earth become his children regardless of race, colour or creed-
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28 )

2- If Jesus visited aliens, (just as he visited Earth) they wouldn't have to develop a "system of mysticism" or anything else..Smile
"Praise to the Lord, to him who rides the ancient skies above, whose power is in the skies" (Psalm 68:33-34)

Incidentally the visitor's centre in Capernaum (below) looks like a spaceship, it's built over the ruins where Jesus used to hang-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Capernaum_zps381a453b.jpg~original
0 Replies