Plantar Fasciitis (just pain or damage too?)

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 08:13 am
@Jayt443,
Trust me. They know how to deal with this kind of problem in boot camp. This will not keep you out.

One thing they are good at fixing well is feet.
JTT

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 07:31 pm
I thought this was Planters warts (sp??).

Sad
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 07:37 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I see you getting negs, bobsal, but I am listening.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 09:24 pm
ME (to my woman doctor 12 years ago)- "I'm feeling cold and tired all the time"
HER- "You're depressed"
ME- "No I'm not"
HER- "Yes you are"
ME- "No I'm not"
HER (writing)- "Take this prescription to the chemists for anti-depressants"

So to humour her I tried the AD's as an experiment and they made me feel terrible as if I was orbiting another planet, so I flushed the rest down the toilet and went on feeling tired and sluggish.
A couple of years later after I moved to Plymouth, my new doctor was slightly better, he ran blood tests and pinned it down to a borderline underactive thyroid, but he wouldn't prescribe anything because it was only borderline, so i had to carry on feeling tired.
It eventually seemed to clear up after I switched to fluoride-free toothpaste and began eating grapefruit.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 12:10 am
PS- I'm not just singling out doctors, it's just as important to also research stuff on the net like plumbing, electrics, builders, mechanics and all other tradesmen, so that whenever something goes wrong in our house, we'll know all about it from the net first before calling them in to fix it, and we'll be able to tell better if they're cowboys and ripping us off.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 07:05 am
@JTT,
Yep, but its not a wart. Its a bump on the plantar ligament caused by a breach in the fascia of the ligament. The bump is the "itis"
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 07:08 am
@ossobuco,
I know about this stuff. One of my mechanical design gigs was designing orthotics.
JTT

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 07:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
But there are also things called Planters warts, which are more like warts, are there not?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 07:15 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
My doctor was after me to start testosterone replacement. I've got all my hair and Mr Weasel makes regular strong appearances .... I'm getting old but I look a lot younger and feel as strong as I did at forty - twenty-some years ago. Its a good thing I didn't do it, I developed a bladder cancer two years ago and testosterone wouldn't have been a good thing to have been taking.

Life is good.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 07:28 am
@JTT,
Plantar Warts. I thought the same thing as a kid. I was a mad gardner as a kid and turned my gardens with a spade and tennis shoes. When I got a painful bump on the bottom of my foot my dad told me I had what I head as a "planter's wart". Made sense to me. The rough spading with a thin sole had damaged the Fascia of my Plantar Ligament. I didn't find out what I really had for about thirty years.

Sometime they heal by themselves. I have one now and it hardly ever hurts. My first one hurt like the dickens but healed on its own.

A simple relief for it is to locate where in your shoe it contacts. gouge out a little hole about 1/8" or so deep by a 1/4" round into the liner of the shoe and glue a thin piece of foam into the hole. Other medical treatment is rarely needed. Sometimes to keep the foot from over stretching the ligament, an orthotic might be indicated and there will be a little "wart" relief carved into it.
JTT

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 07:37 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Live and learn. I thought I had a cousin who had to have one cut out. Thanks, Bobsal.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 08:46 am
Don't know about the damage. I had to get orthotics for my work boots 20 years ago for the same problem. No issues since.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 01:59 pm
@Wilso,
Amazing what a little thing like an orthotic can do.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:10 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Ok, then, I think you know what you are talking about, re the enlisting, and their ability to help. I guess I wonder if they will help right away, but our poster can ask about that, and if not, put off the entry date.

A while back I mentioned going to an orthopedist (which got me a down thumb, geez). I saw him after a week of walking San Francisco, landing back in LA, hardly able to move because of my messed up feet. He figured it out - it was a matter of my slapping my high arched feet on concrete for many days - and recommended a particular adidas running shoe. This was around '71 or '72. They didn't have women's running shoes then - at least in any stores in our area - so I got the smallest size men's. My feet got better practically the next day.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 04:38 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't know much, but Plantar Fasciatis is one thing I know about. A penknife and a piece of cotton and I can relive his pain in five minutes. He'll heal in time (month or more) with no intervention or any more pain.

In boot camp the first week he is seeing doctors and being injected and sampled and diagnosed and treated.

They are very serious about preventive maintenance in the service. They want him good to go.They don't want him parading with a limp and a frown.

I've got some very funny stories about it. First and only time I've had calluses cut from my feet was in the Navy. His problem isn't severe most likely, but military hospitals may be the best treatment these guys will get in their lives.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 05:50 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
"They want him good to go. They don't want him parading with a limp and a frown."

That's what worried me - well, and all the tough training - thanks for all your info.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 06:08 pm
I knew three or four guys in my basic training cycle who went to the dentist. They came back with not a tooth in their heads. I don't know if anyone can visualize basic training in the Georgia summertime or not, but that told me all I needed to know about the Army's gentle and caring attitude towards enlisted personnel. With over five years in the service, I did not once visit an Army dentist.

I certainly would not enlist with the idea of receiving prompt foot. Training follows a fast paced schedule. Miss too many units of instruction, or can't keep up you either get recycled to the next training class or you are sent home.

Maybe things have changed since 1962. Laughing
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 06:25 pm
@roger,
A filipino in my company had all of his teeth pulled at one time. The next day he had two bags of gedunk candy in his ditty bag and the inspecting chief threw all the candy on the floor where other guys who hadn't seen much candy in their lives were scooping it up while the chief sca-reamed at him. Fa-reaked him out.

We actually had at least one kid who hadn't worn shoes till he had enlisted. And several who couldn't read.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 02:26 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Amazing what a little thing like an orthotic can do.

My doctor at the time criticised the biomechanics. He was wrong.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 07:41 am
@Wilso,
Doctors have to have confidence in themselves, some of them hate anything they don't know about. I didn't think much of them, myself. Then I got a pair. My shoes seem to last longer with them, too.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:04:30