Plantar Fasciitis (just pain or damage too?)

Jayt443

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:04 pm
i was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in my feet. i was given many techniques for at home treatment but my primary question is,
is it just an issue of pain, or do i stand to actually damage my feet if i continue to run in their current state?
is there a risk involved with minimal treatment? If for example i don't have time or access to meds, ice packs and a lot of stretching, am i looking at long term negative effects?

roger

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:23 pm
@Jayt443,
I'm going to avoid your real question because I just don't know.

If this plantar fasciitis interferes with your normal gait, I'm sure you are going to have long term effects. It would be like people who try to use ankle weights. Great for specific exercises; not so good for everyday wear.

If the doctor who made the diagnosis prescribes ice packs and certain stretching exercises, my suggestion is that you make time, even if that means taking time away from the running.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:38 pm
@roger,
Its a hernia of the ligament. It can be accommodated as simply as relieving the liner of your shoe, to an othotic with a relief feature, to surgery. The change in your step to try alleviate the pain can actually make it worse cause other problems.
0 Replies

Jayt443

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 04:42 pm
okay thank you. My concern is, that i'm going to boot camp in a month and they probably won't allow me the freedom to utilize all the treatment options i was instructed. It seems likely that even if i manage to get the pain to subside as i have in the past, it will likely come back. I suppose i can push through the pain if necessary but if there is potential that in doing so i will cause long term damage to my feet, perhaps it would be better for me to postpone my ship date.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 04:47 pm
@Jayt443,
That sounds smart. Meantime, talk further with your doctor, it could be very important.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 05:14 pm
And don't forget THE INTERNET IS OUR BEST FRIEND for learning all about different ailments, and there are net discussion groups where people can compare notes and talk about their symptoms and what treatment they're getting etc..Smile
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 05:22 pm
@Jayt443,
Plantar fasciits is a troublesome disease that usually does not leaves any complication. But try not to press your luck.

With any disease of ligaments and tendons there is risk of inducing a chronic lesion if it is not treated properly or if you do not take the correct rest.

I recommend you to seek for a doctor specialized on physical therapy and rehabilitation.
0 Replies

Jayt443

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 05:55 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
yea, i've found plenty via google on what it is and why it is. But not so much on if it's curable, recurring, or the level of risk involved with continuing activity even though it isn't "cured"
0 Replies

Jayt443

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 05:59 pm
my podiatrist was quite vague about everything except treatment instructions. he didn't provide much information about anything beyond stretches and OTC meds.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:06 pm
@Jayt443,
Me, I'd go to an orthopedist. That has been very helpful to me in the past. You'd likely only need one visit.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:09 pm
@Jayt443,
Jayt443 wrote:

my podiatrist was quite vague about everything except treatment instructions. he didn't provide much information about anything beyond stretches and OTC meds.

Yes, docs and medics like to keep us in the dark, that's why the docs in A2K have voted down my post in which I said the internet is our best friend!
Remember, we can learn all about our malady on the net, and end up knowing MORE about it than the quacks which is why they hate the net because it allows us to keep tabs on them to make sure they're diagnosing us correctly and giving us the right treatment.
Never trust a doctor..Wink
roger

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:20 pm
@Jayt443,
Postponement sounds like a very good.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:23 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Yes, docs and medics like to keep us in the dark, that's why the docs in A2K have voted down my post in which I said the internet is our best friend!
Remember, we can learn all about our malady on the net, and end up knowing MORE about it than the quacks which is why they hate the net because it allows us to keep tabs on them to make sure they're diagnosing us correctly and giving us the right treatment.

What you have just said is extremely dangerous and by the way offensive.

please if you or a family member had had a bad experience with medical service do not generalize it. It is not just not fair, but you can actually miss lead someone on the wrong direction.

I agree that there are many types of Doctors. Those who do not care at all, and those with real vocation. I rather insist to search for a good medical professional and stick to him forever. There are those who really take their time to explain and care for their patients.

You are a strong religious person, how could you be talking thrash against medical professionals.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. Matthew 7:1-5

roger

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:36 pm
@luismtzzz,
Are you a doctor, and do you feel threatened by informed patients? If so, I hope you never treat me or mine.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:37 pm
There's not a family in the land who hasn't suffered at the hands of incompetent doctors at least once in their lives.
For example I once had a virulent throat infection and couldn't swallow for 10 days, it was all I could do to painfully sip a little soup now and again.
The stupid quack prescribed penicillin, but in TABLET FORM, which of course I couldn't swallow!

PS- and its hardly worth complaining about them later, because they'll close ranks and try to cover up each others mistakes, I could tell you stories..
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:48 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Are you a doctor, and do you feel threatened by informed patients? If so, I hope you never treat me or mine.

Yes i am a doctor.

Quote:
What you have just said is extremely dangerous and by the way offensive.

please if you or a family member had had a bad experience with medical service do not generalize it. It is not just not fair, but you can actually miss lead someone on the wrong direction.

I agree that there are many types of Doctors. Those who do not care at all, and those with real vocation. I rather insist to search for a good medical professional and stick to him forever. There are those who really take their time to explain and care for their patients.

And no, i do not feel threatened by informed patients. I do not know where i stated that i felt threatened.

I actually enjoy being asked questions. I love to talk about the carrer i choose. Medical science is fantastic and i am of the firmly belive that information is power. You have any medical question i can answer it right away, although here i am a little bit tied down by the sites rules of well behavior.

I had find many difficult patients in my years of service so i am not stranger to thrash talk. I had adquired a lot of clinical experience, so in the remote case you or a family member end up as one of my patients, I can assure you would not be in better hands.
roger

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:50 pm
@luismtzzz,
Then I fail to see why you resent the internet as a source of information, Doctor.
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:53 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Actually... me too. I was wrongly dyagnosed acute gastroenteritis during my teens that ended up beeing an appendicitis that had exploded on my abdomen. I suffered a huge surgery, passed 2 days on ICU, and ended with a HUGE abdominal scar.

All for a bad dyagnosis. And anyways i ended up being a Doctor myself.

0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 06:57 pm
@roger,
I never said that i resent the internet as a source of information. What i do not recommend is self dyagnosis. What made me angry was this:

Quote:
Yes, docs and medics like to keep us in the dark
Remember, we can learn all about our malady on the net, and end up knowing MORE about it than the quacks

Pure generalizations.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 06:24 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
I thought you were being facetious, so I voted your post back up. Then I saw this and changed my thumb. The first time I thumbed anyone down in months. BTW, I left this one as it is.

But I gather from your opinion about docs, that you are just blowing smoke when you take Jehovah's Witnesses to task for their avoidance of blood transfusions.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Plantar Fasciitis (just pain or damage too?)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 01:22:09