Japan's Official Pacifism Undergoing Reinterpretation

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
What a sad, confused little man you are, CI.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:50 am
Hey JTT as a matter of interest what are you, a commie, muslim, homo, atheist or what?
JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 12:03 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I am the antithesis of you, Romeo. I'm a human being.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:57 pm
Quote:
Abe’s security strategy lacks strategic thinking
BY MASAHIRO MATSUMURA
SPECIAL TO THE JAPAN TIMES

OSAKA – Last December the administration of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe adopted the first National Security Strategy (NSS), a 32-page document that identifies national interests, strategic goals and basic policy lines to be taken. It replaced the 1952 Basic Policy on National Defense, which is only about 300 words long.

The NSS appears to serve as the basis for formulating defense and armament policy and a specific weapons acquisition plan. The NSS, however, essentially continues the longtime status quo policy, with some additional measures to complement and/or supplement U.S. power, which has experienced a relative decline vis-a-vis the rising China.

As a result, the NSS presents neither a strategic reorientation nor a policy shift. NSS appears to be a full-fledged articulation of the traditional strategy.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2014/07/24/commentary/japan-commentary/abes-security-strategy-lacks-strategic-thinking-2/#.U9GASONr7nE
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 04:13 pm
@wandeljw,
Hi wandel, How you been? As for Japan's pacifism, I'm pretty sure it's a matter of time before the younger generation realizes that they need some level of military in the event North Korea (even China) takes aggressive action against them. They should not expect the US to be their 100% guardian - nor should any other ally.
JTT

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 05:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
They should not expect the US to be their 100% guardian - nor should any other ally.

“To be an enemy of America can be dangerous, but to be a friend is fatal”
Henry Kissinger

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 05:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

wandeljw wrote:

Thanks, Frank. I was also wondering about a larger issue: are pacifist ideals still viable?

I think they are...

...if you don't mind being dead!
Wink

Exactly ! Laughing
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 11:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Hi wandel, How you been? As for Japan's pacifism, I'm pretty sure it's a matter of time before the younger generation realizes that they need some level of military in the event North Korea (even China) takes aggressive action against them. They should not expect the US to be their 100% guardian - nor should any other ally.

Thanks, CI, I am okay. Japan feels it needs protection for possible aggression from North Korea or China. Japan also seems worried that the United States is making more of an effort in its relations with China than with Japan.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 02:03 pm
@wandeljw,
From MPOV, the US courting of China has more to do with economics than military. I'm sure that in the event China attacks Japan, the US isn't going to be supporting China.

I see a time in the future when China overtakes the US economically; it's bound to happen, because China's population and educational system strips the US in every way. The only advantage the US now has over China in education is our university and colleges, but China has the potential to top that in a few decades.

We just have to get used to the idea that our five percent of the world population isn't going to be the economic and military superpower forever.
0 Replies

MWal

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 09:56 am
The term passive anti-violence anti-war is for the paradise God. Go Japan!
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 09:57 am
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

The term passive anti-violence anti-war is for paradise God.

What does the term "paradise God" mean...and what is it for?
MWal

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 09:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
The God who is paradise where ever he may go. The living Paradise.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 10:10 am
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

The God who is paradise where ever he may go. The living Paradise.

I thought that god was everywhere.
MWal

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 10:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
Your right, God needs to be all things, or he isn't everywhere. So we need to send the sinners to not, which is the devil. Transcend death and live in paradise.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 10:20 am
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

Your right, God needs to be all things, or he isn't everywhere. So we need to send the sinners to not, which is the devil. Transcend death and live in paradise.

Whew!

You win!
MWal

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 11:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
We have to be entirely virtuous, that's how we create the Heavens, and the king of this may be God. All virtue, infinite happiness everything is possible.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 11:44 am
@MWal,
You wrote,
Quote:
All virtue, infinite happiness everything is possible.

This is the biggest misconception about any religion. Nowhere in history does your claim bear out! Rather, history proves that humans are naturally warriors and murderers of people they consider their enemies - even based on religious belief.

There is no proof that
Quote:
All virtue, infinite happiness everything is possible.
NONE.
MWal

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 11:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
Happiness is here, get with it. Whatever history, or past knowledge brings know there is a history of angels in Heaven.

We can be happy, you have to make the right choices. Happiness is in your heart and soul. Happiness can.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 12:51 pm
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

We have to be entirely virtuous, that's how we create the Heavens, and the king of this may be God. All virtue, infinite happiness everything is possible.

That reminds me of the saying, "With faith and prayer...anything is possible. With faith and prayer...you can move mountains."

Well...I will allow you all the praying public...and those with faith...every minister, priest, Imam...and all their flocks.

All I want is a girl scout and a tea spoon.

I say I will move more of the mountain than that army!
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 09:42 pm
I knew a guy a few years ago who ran a military forum, and one day he announced to us-
"I won't be able to tend the forum so much in future because my wife is seriously ill waiting for a heart/lung transplant"

So I said to him- "I know a few christian groups, would you like me to get them to say a prayer for her?"
But surprisingly he replied "Thanks but no thanks, she's got people around her looking after her".

Maybe he was an atheist, or maybe he was just a lousy hub I dunno.
Was he right to refuse prayers for his wife or what?
(PS- I drifted away from the forum later and never did know how she got on)