What is wrong with my friends?

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 02:39 pm
So I became a vegetarian a few months ago and it's been going great, I haven't eaten any meat since I gave it up. Recently I watched "Glass Walls" a slaughterhouse documentary about what happens to animals in slaughterhouses and I couldn't watch all of it in one go because it was too disturbing. After I had watched it I sent it to two of my friends and one of them says "I just had a chicken burger" and after this, she tells me she is only able to watch up to a piglet scene where she said she couldn't watch anymore but then said "Btw I'm still gonna eat meat". My other friend was even worse. At first she refused to watch it and then said "I will watch it later, but I am sure I have seen it" so I replied with "If you had seen it you wouldn't eat meat. I hope" and she says "Too bad. I have watched loads of slaughterhouse things." (She regularly argues with that it's not true and hardly any slaughterhouses really do that). So I just said "Okay..." and she says "#yolo" so I reply with "Yeah, its hilarious" and she just says "Yep, it really is.". What is wrong with my friends? Why can they not see how wrong it is? What should I do? (I won't be able to persuade them to not eat meat because they're both very stubborn and refuse to change).

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 02:43 pm
To not eat meat is YOUR choice. Don't force your friends to change just because of you decided to not eat meat. Stop being a bully about it.

Either change friends - find only vegetarians to hang out with - or be quiet about your diet preference.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 03:12 pm
@KumaWolf,
Punkey is right, you have no right to try and change your friends ideas. The same way they do not have the right to change yours.

Many people are sensibile to difficult situations. I have seen many people faint at the sight of a small drop of blood. Of course many people does when seeing an animal beeing skinned.

The real problem is that you most learn to live with their desicion. And if they want to change they will seek for your advice. Real changes came from self motivation the same way it happened to you.

By the way, looking at how animals are slaughter won´t change minds. Even if you like it or not you have to recognize that we are an omnivorous species. It is not easy to change more than 2,000,000 years of evolutionary adaptation. The sooner you learn to tolerate the happier you will be.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 03:40 pm
@KumaWolf,
No one is more fervent than the newly converted. Ease up - "let no man be condemned for what they eat." You are coming off as judgmental.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 03:44 pm
@KumaWolf,
KumaWolf wrote:
What is wrong with my friends?

Are you aged about 12? It seems that way because anyone much older would realise that you cannot force other people to change their opinions to match yours, well you can try, but they will just refuse to take you seriously as you have found.

Quote:
What should I do?

Lighten up.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 03:57 pm
@KumaWolf,
Your condemnation about " What is wrong with my friends? Why can they not see how wrong it is?" is too judgmental - about almost anything and everything. You need to learn that not everybody thinks about everything as you do, and you must accept your friends as they are. Otherwise, find friends you agree with - which is impossible.
You're the one who needs to change.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 04:23 pm
@KumaWolf,
Do you try to convert them to your religious beliefs, too? Fashion sense? Your awesome taste in music?

Your friends aren't paper dolls for your amusement. They're people with feelings, schedules, preferences, and personalities.

Why didn't they watch the film? Who knows? Maybe they don't like such things. Maybe they had homework, work, chores, etc. Is there a timetable on this? Is it homework? Do you need it back at the library, or something?

Maybe, just maybe, they felt like playing video games instead. Or reading. Or rearranging their action figure collections.

Whatever.

Why aren't they vegetarians like you? Are you now some paragon of perfection? Why don't they only listen to the music you like? Why aren't they wearing the clothes you prefer to see on them? Why? Why? Why must they torture you so????

Get over it.

True story. I became a vegetarian at age 13. 15 years later, I eased my own personal rules but I still don't eat beef or pork.

Do you know how many people I made watch a movie about slaughterhouses?

Zero.

Do you know how many people I tried to convert to my vegetarian ways?

Zero.

I respect my friends. They respect me. We make our own choices. They don't wave burgers in my face, demanding that I take a bite. I don't make them watch slaughterhouse films.

See, this is how you respect other people's choices.

You know, like you want them to respect yours?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 04:56 pm
I would like to see more movies of people eating raw, bloody meat, with the blood and the juices trickling down their chins. But that's just me.
Ragman

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 06:12 pm
@Setanta,
Soylent Green (It's people)
Wilso

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 06:19 pm
@KumaWolf,
Chances are you're wearing clothes made in an Asian sweat shop. Same is possible for your mobile phone, or components of the computer you used to create this interaction. You could find something morally objectionable in just about every aspect of your life. Unless you're willing to alter your entire existence, you're not just being immature. You're being a hypocrite
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 06:20 pm
@Ragman,
Then there's the whole relatively new soylent food craze. I read an article about it but can't relay the specifics as my eyes started to glaze.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 06:21 pm
@KumaWolf,
My daughter went through a vegetarian phase after she showed these videos by her cousin. She stopped being a vegetarian for the sole reason that bacon is made out of meat.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 06:54 pm
@Ragman,
And its not just for breakfast anymore.

Have you heard about "Soylent"

http://www.soylent.me/

About
X

Soylent™ was developed from a need for a simpler food source. Creator Robert Rhinehart and team developed Soylent after recognizing the disproportionate amount of time and money they spent creating nutritionally complete meals.

Soylent is a food product (classified as a food, not a supplement, by the FDA) designed for use as a staple meal by all adults. Each serving of Soylent provides maximum nutrition with minimum effort.

For press inquiries, please email [email protected].

For general questions about Soylent, please see our FAQ page or send an email to [email protected].

Existing customers with questions about an order or subscription can email [email protected].

I haven't seen the neighbors in weeks ........
luismtzzz

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 07:08 pm
@KumaWolf,
Soylent while techinically and physiologically correct diet. It takes the fun out of eating.

Nothing is more pleasant than biting the meat out of the bone of a medium well done grilled steak.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 07:13 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
He has - look above..

but you told more about it.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 01:24 am
@Wilso,
Quote:
Same is possible for your mobile phone
Look up 'Coltran' sometime. It's an essential ingredient in mobile phones, and is found in only a few locations in the world, including the Congo, in Africa. Soon after it was discovered, it became disputed territory with 2 other nations. Now mini wars are fought over it and the mining of it...and as a result it's mined relatively cheaply - where it should be one of the most expensive minerals around. It is quite likely that because the situation results in cheap coltran, western governments & companies feel no obligation to sought out the situation, and it's not beyond possibility that the west may even encourage this situation...yet if it resulted is very expensive prices for this rare & valuable mineral...

Short version - people have died, and are dying to bring our mobile phones to us.
Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 02:25 am
@vikorr,
I'm guessing it's in my iPad too
0 Replies

Milo McMillan

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 07:43 pm
@KumaWolf,
My guess... You're just not cooking them right.
You're friends, they're not by chance clowns? If they are clowns, doesn't matter how you prepare them... They'll always taste funny.
0 Replies

MWal

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 07:46 pm
We need something to replace meat with
0 Replies