Should I question the school - summer reading?

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 10:13 am
My daughter has to do a summer reading project around the subject of Integrity. Some of the description - True heroism and integrity come from the actions we take when no one is looking. "Integrity (being a champion) is doing the right thing when no one is watching."

Not a bad subject to get them thinking. Then I look at the list of books that are recommended and they all have boys as the main character. One though is a boy and girl, but involves a college male basketball player.

My daughter playing basketball wants this particular book so it isn't a real concern. But I was personally a bit upset that they did not have any girls showing integrity other than the "shared"one.

Should I send a note to the principal? Or just leave it. It does say if you have any concerns or questions to contact the principal. Wanted to add they can pick out a book outside of the recommended list if it falls within the theme so it isn't as if they cannot read a book with a girl as the focus -- just that not one of the books in her grade of recommended books has one (other than this shared role).

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 10:37 am
@Linkat,
I would be direct, and ask if they have anything on their list that features a female role model.

They may answer no, but it would certainly embarrass them and/or make them think.
Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 10:39 am
@Lordyaswas,
That may be a good way -- say my daughter wanted to read something about a girl. Do they have a recommendation. I did try doing a search myself and couldn't find any -- not there is unlikely any books about it with girls -- just difficult trying to find via a search engine.
Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 10:41 am
@Lordyaswas,
I also thought about asking other parents (of girls of course) which book they are thinking of reading -- just to see if they noticed as well.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 10:58 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

That may be a good way -- say my daughter wanted to read something about a girl. Do they have a recommendation. I did try doing a search myself and couldn't find any -- not there is unlikely any books about it with girls -- just difficult trying to find via a search engine.

Do you happen to know a teacher at all? My better half is a Head (Principal) and she knows quite a few educational sites where specific types of book are listed in categories and age group.

Maybe a teacher could steer you towards such a site in the US?

Another good source is the authors of these 'boy' books.

It may be worth finding their own personal websites and dropping them an email or message, asking if they have anything regarding female role models, or if not, could they steer you towards someone who has.

That may make them think a bit. There's nothing an author likes more than a gap in the market.
Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 11:01 am
@Lordyaswas,
good thoughts with the author. For my daughter I am not worried she already selected as one has to do with a college basketball player (boy of course) - and she loves basketball. Fortunately one of the other 3 main characters is a girl which should be a role model hopefully.

Yeah in between grades; we don't know yet which teachers she will have next year - I could reach out to her teacher from last year, but not sure how much they review their emails during the summer.

We are ok with the book -- just found it odd there was no one main subject of a girl character with integrity except this shared role - I wonder what message (if the kids even notice) this sends. I looked up each of the books and found it odd - because I specifically was looking for one with a girl figuring she could associate with it better. She had already determined she wanted this book. I don't want to be an a$$ about it either though.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 11:08 am
@Linkat,
Absolutely.

I've just vented regarding modern marketing and girls about four or five posts ago......"feminist" thread. I basically had a go about how girls are being compartmentalised into pink loving celebrity worshippers, and most parents seem to let it just happen.

I'm all for girls being brought up independent minded again, like most of the girls I grew up with in the 60's/70's.
Girl role model books will certainly help.

It's refreshing to hear a parent question this sort of thing.
Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 11:14 am
@Lordyaswas,
I kind of made fun of it but I also loved it that she chose Annabeth as a Halloween costume. I had to be creative -- because there are not any demigod warrier girl costumes out there. I got a boy warrier type and added in the sword and shield. Although she couldn't bring the sword to school.

She dressed the year before as Taylor Swift so I was secretly happy she choose a strong independent girl as a costume this year. Even if it meant carrying a weapon.
jespah

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 12:12 pm
@Lordyaswas,
/starts writing/

Seriously. That's absurd that the school can't find at least one book with a female role model for integrity who isn't also the sidekick of a guy.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 12:13 pm
@Linkat,
That's funny, because I was talking to one of our dog walking team this morning, and she was relating a story from when her daughter (now 21) was in nursery/pre school.
They had bought her a Pocahontas outfit for her birthday (at her request) and she insisted on wearing it for school the following day to show all her friends.
Mum thought it would be OK, but when she arrived, had a word with the Nursery Manager to let her know the full story. It was then she was reminded that it was class photo day.
They still have the group photo framed in their living room. Twenty or so neatly pressed little girls and boys....and Pocahontas, all smiling at the camera.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 01:10 pm
@Linkat,
How old is she?

The girl next door to us (13 years old) was reading this not long ago and we had a great discussion about it. It sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Keeper-Mitali-Perkins/dp/0440239559/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1404328177&sr=1-5
Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 01:45 pm
@boomerang,
she is 11. I will take a look at.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 02:47 pm
I would certainly point this out to whomever came up with the idea of this summer reading project.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 08:05 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

I would certainly point this out to whomever came up with the idea of this summer reading project.

I would assume that this was a list built by committee rather then an individual one could simply address. I would think that the principal would be an easier person to address regarding this issue then the committee who created the list.
0 Replies