Which do you eat: the root, the leaves or both?

Sun 29 Jun, 2014 05:01 pm
The other day I was cooking beets and decided I try cooking the leaves too -- they were pretty good.

I like a little carrot leaves in a salad but find them too bitter to add much. They do look pretty though.

Turnips are known for both parts being edible but potatoes aren't. I've never eaten a "potato green" and don't even know if you should since I have heard that their fruit is poisonous.

And what about bulbs? Fennel bulbs are edible but tulip bulbs are (maybe) not.

Share your knowledge of plant cooking with me!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 4,690 • Replies: 6
Topic Closed
No top replies

ossobuco

Sun 29 Jun, 2014 05:56 pm
@boomerang,
I'm not a beet person, at least not yet, but I do cook turnip greens (and collard and mustard greens and used to like dandelion greens). Oh, and kale and chard. I miss watercress and sorrell, both easy to grow, or used to be back in Los Angeles.
But those last ones mentioned after turnip greens don't come with bulbs too, so never mind.

Fennel bulbs, I like, but just about never see in my market here. I think I've used the leaves back when I grew fennel, but can't remember at this point.
Have never grown parsnips, don't know about their leaves.
Have never tasted celeriac - I remember that Hamburgboy likes it, but again, I don't see it in my store.
edgarblythe

Sun 29 Jun, 2014 06:03 pm
Both. But I never cook any of it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 29 Jun, 2014 06:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I love celeriac! It mashes up almost like a potato but has a hint of celery flavor.

It's confusing what constitutes a "green" since many root vegetables have greens and some greens, like kale or collard don't have a root (or at least a root like we mean here). Actually collard is what prompted this question -- I've eaten collard greens but had never heard of "collard" so I had no idea if they had a root/bulb so I looked it up and learned that they're more like a lettuce. Confusing!
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 29 Jun, 2014 08:02 pm
@boomerang,
I love beet leaves with butter, S & P.

I find that the seeds of many fruits and veggies are wasted when they are so delicious. Squash seeds, apple seeds, grapefruit, nectarines, peaches ... .
boomerang

Mon 30 Jun, 2014 08:50 am
@JTT,
Peaches!?

How do you make a peach pit delicious? I mean, you know, short of planting it and growing more peaches....
JTT

Mon 30 Jun, 2014 09:57 am
@boomerang,
Break it open, peel off the wee bit of skin and enjoy.
0 Replies