Football ("soccer") is a sign of U.S.A.’s moral decay

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 05:22 am
Ann Coulter thinks that America’s enthusiastic response to the 2014 World Cup is a "sign of the nation’s moral decay".

Quote:
[...]
If more ‘Americans’ are watching soccer today, it’s only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy’s 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time.
[...]

Source:Source

The American Football Association (sic!) was the first attempt in the United States to form an organizing football ("soccer") body. It is best known for being the second oldest sports league to form, behind Major League Baseball in 1876, as well as being the oldest football ("soccer") league in the United States.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 28 • Views: 20,545 • Replies: 405

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 05:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, I hope you folks don't take Ann Coulter any more serious than we do.

All a whacko has to do is link up with a million other whackos dumb enough to give up $25.00 bucks or so once a year for a "book" and that whacko has made a fortune. In a nation of 350,000,000 that's not terribly hard to do.

Fox is that link and they have a stable of whackos.

Glen Beck is a fine example of this. He has an internet feed that charges $10 or so a month. His subscribers aren't a huge group but it they pay off well.

Also, if you watch any American sports, you noticed no doubt that our games don't require the continuous athleticism that fussball does.

Football has 11 minutes of action in over 2 hour of game and baseball has 18 in about 2-1/2 hours. I played soccer in high school and the field was too big and the teams too small and the play too continuous. That's why I play cards.

woiyo

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 06:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
By you reacting to her comment, you make her opinion relevant.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 06:16 am
@woiyo,
Even if he laughing at her and her usual inaccurate opinions?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 06:38 am
@woiyo,
Actually, I thought it is relevant, since she has written an entire column to the sport she wishes her fellow citizens would ignore.

But fortunately, Fox News confirmed that it isn't a sign of moral decay. But a topic.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-shep-smith-jabs-at-ann-coulter-for-anti-soccer-trolling/#ooid=U3eDVobjpGdLsnlQSardIo3_HDEuWtAr

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 08:10 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Liked your last sentences a lot.

I agree on all you said in your post, with the consideration that americans usually use the word soccer instead of football in order to alleviate what would be a mass of sports talk confusion since we have another type of football. Or, it would getting to be greatly confusing now, since so many of us do like soccer type football. Sometimes I just call it futbol. Mostly I talk about it in print (that print usually being on a2k fantasy world cup matches), so, in print, the futbol can distinguish which one I am talking about if it's a general sports thread.
http://able2know.org/topic/246449-1

If I remember fbaezer's playful word for american type football, it's footegg.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 08:44 am
@ossobuco,
When I need a nap or to get my wife out of the living room so I can nap on the couch or she's beating me again a Gin Rummy, I turn on football. If I want her to take a nap I turn on baseball. If I just want her to sit and share a sense of confusion I turn on soccer. Sports are central to my retired life.
Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 08:48 am
@ossobuco,
I think it was handegg not footegg but I could be mistaken.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 09:02 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
If I want her to take a nap I turn on baseball.

Try cricket.
George

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 09:07 am
More Americans are watching soccer, but it's not about immigration, it's
about organized youth sports. Soccer is by far the best sport for the
six-and-under group to start with. Basketball hoops are too far up, hockey
is expensive, and baseball is largely standing around waiting. But with
soccer, you've got a bunch kids immediately out there playing. It isn't
really soccer yet, but it's fun and everybody is involved.

Most of the athletic kids eventually move on to the major sports, but a lot
stay with soccer and play for school teams and clubs. And so it grows.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 09:28 am
@Ragman,
I think you're right. I couldn't find it when I tried looking it up, uh, with the wrong word.)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 09:30 am
@ossobuco,
All you need to play football is a football, jumpers for goalposts and all that. No other kit required, one of the reasons it's so popular in Africa and South America.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 09:42 am
@izzythepush,
And here. Are they playing it over at yours as well? Wink
( £30 million)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 10:10 am
There are no immigrants like she talks about in my family. But I watch soccer now and again, with interest. Those guys have more dexterity in their feet than most of us have in our hands.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 10:40 am
It gave me a good laugh.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 10:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
At first I thought this was one of the most whacky things this chick has ever said, but in a sense she is right.....America used to march to its own drummer, we used to be proud strong individualists who did what we wanted to do not what everyone else does. We have lost a lot of that, and this could be called decay. but it is spiritual decay not moral decay.

I dont know that she is right that D's like soccer more than R's, this needs to be proven. She certainly thinks this is so, which is why this professional provocateur went off on this riff.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 10:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, I find her to be irrelevant, particularly on sports topics and if there are people and new organizations that find this to be of interest, then it must be a slow new day in my opinion.

I personally think Soccer, when played at this level is quite a good spectator sport. Lots of action, no commercials and you can pretty much set your watch to a 2 hour event. My first live experience was back in 1976 when the NY Cosmos with Pele opened up the then new Giants Stadium and played a "friendly" with Brazil. Pele scored a goal for both sides.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 11:04 am
@woiyo,
Quote:
Well, I find her to be irrelevant, particularly on sports topics and if there are people and new organizations that find this to be of interest, then it must be a slow new day in my opinion.

Because you are everyman...right? Drunk

Her sales are down and she seems to get less play on cable than she once did, but the schtick still earns a living.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 12:49 pm
Soccer has some major problems, which place it far down the list of my favorite sports. There is something wrong with a game in which it is not surprising that two of the best teams in the world are scoreless after an hour and a half.

I am also turned off by the constant fouling, as well as the inconsistent calling of them by the referee. In the box, the players typically grab, block, and push one another without a foul being called.

I suggest that the goals be enlarged and that the off-sides rule be eliminated. Without the off-sides rule, the game could have exciting fast breaks and, certainly, increased scoring.
Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 12:56 pm
@Advocate,
Agree 95%.

Why does the judge/ref allow what is clearly a foul or a flop? But then they call a foul when they shouldn't...e.g.. when incidental contact occurs when players are going for the ball but not while tripping their opponent?

Also the judge/referee's capricious assignment of extra time beyond the 90 minutes at the game's regulation time allotment.. What goes into a decision of adding 3 minutes or 5 minutes? Why is there no consistency or rhyme or reason for the extra minutes? Along with that, this infernal allowance of wasting of clock time...due to stalling or manipulation. Also, why, after a goal scored ... do they allow all this gratuitous congratulations and emotional b/s, while the clock still runs?

The whole idea of having a tie in a World Championship match defies any sort of understanding whatsoever . They lost me at 'hello'!
0 Replies