Is it possible to find a biological parent without knowing anything about them?

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2014 09:49 pm
I'm 16 years old and I found out the man who I thought was my father wasn't when I was about 7 years old. I have always wondered who he was. A few years ago I was given my birth certificate for sports reasons and I was so excited to see it to see where my father had signed to find out his name, when I got my birth certificate there was nothing there. The place where my father was supposed to sign was empty, just my mom's name on my birth certificate. Maybe a year or so after this I decided to talk to my mom about it, but all she could tell me was how old he was when I was "made", so maybe I know how old he is now. When I tried to ask her his name she pretty much just told me that she was so young and that she didn't remember it. Now 5 years later I'm really starting to get irritable and annoyed since the only fathers that I ever had were other peoples' fathers. Don't get me wrong, I have fathers, I have two actually. The first is my little sister's dad, I call him "daddy" and everything and my other father is my mom's current husband, I just call him by his name, but he treats me just like his FIVE other kids. I just want a dad that I can call mine, the other ones are mine, but at the same time they aren't. It's really starting to put a damper on my mood and energy every time that I think about it which is all of the time now. I just want to know if it's possible to find him although I know nothing about him.

I'm so sorry that this was sooooo long, I'm kind of in one of those dampered moods since I am thinking about it and needed to vent.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,173 • Replies: 13
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 02:15 am
@ElizeDavis,
There are a few companies that will run your DNA thru databases to see if they can find a match. These companies are private, and I think they have a pricing policy of some sort. You might check Ancestry.com for recommendations. I haven't used them myself, but apparently lots of people provide DNA to these companies to find relatives they don't know about. It's been awhile since I saw mention of this service, and it may have been on the short lived "Who do you Think You Are". Or it could have been on the public television channel featuring a prominent professor (who's name escapes me right now).

If nothing else, you may learn if you have brothers or sisters, or other relatives identified thru DNA. Good Luck
ElizeDavis

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 08:01 pm
@glitterbag,
Thank you so much. I will get right to looking.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 08:05 pm
My brother-in-law never knew his parents and grew up in an orphanage.
My sister asked him once if he ever felt like tracing his parents and he answered "Not really, they didn't want me, so I sure as hell don't want them".
I can't help thinking that was a good healthy attitude to take..Smile
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 11:52 am
@ElizeDavis,
One thing to remember, you must do this with your eyes open. My mothers biological father abandoned my Grandmother when she became pregnant. For years my mother expressed contempt for the man who refused to take care of his family. My Grandmother remarried and her husband became her Dad and my beloved Grandfather. None of my siblings had any interest in learning anything about him, but when my mother had to register for Social Security at 65, they had to obtain her birth certificate. She showed it to me with the name of the of the man who abandoned her. I never had really grasped the fact that she had felt as deeply as she did about him, and I still thing it had a lot to do with how she loved her own children and wondered why he only came back to sign the birth certificate.

I also have a close cousin who was adopted, he tracked down his birth parents and was profoundly disappointed. Those of us who were raised by our parents sometimes don't understand the conflicted feelings of children who find out
someone who should have loved them couldn't be bothered. I hope when or if you get an answer, it will bring some closure for you, and hopefully your Mothers husband was a good father to you. Best of Luck.

PS it should be noted that my mother was born in 1922, society was a little more ridged than it is today
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 05:49 pm
Something else to consider-
Suppose somebody traces their parents and finds out their father was a serial killer executed in the electric chair, and their mother died in a lunatic asylum?
So maybe it'd be better to let things lie..Wink
glitterbag

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 08:44 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Something else to consider-
Suppose somebody traces their parents and finds out their father was a serial killer executed in the electric chair, and their mother died in a lunatic asylum?
So maybe it'd be better to let things lie..Wink

Well, that's why I said she needs to do this with her eyes open. She already knows who her mother is, so regarding the father, he could be dead, but it might be useful to know what his family medical history is anyway. Romeo, she isn't trying to find your parents, she just wants to know who her father is.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 09:21 pm
Junkie Brit politician Clare Short gave away her baby son at birth for adoption because she didn't want him messing up her university studies.
After he grew up he traced her, and there was a picture in the paper of the two of them hugging and smiling.
Hmm...in his place I don't know if i'd want to meet the mother who didn't want me..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/312910.stm
glitterbag

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 09:40 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I don't know how old the women you refer to is, and I don't know who she is. Has he found the father who don't want him either.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 10:54 pm
I posted the link, here it is again-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/312910.stm

And here's a bit from it-
"while reading political science at Keele University in North Staffordshire, Ms Short had become pregnant.
She and the baby's father married and moved to Leeds to start a new life, but six weeks after the child's birth, she handed him over for adoption"
glitterbag

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 12:00 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
So what? You think that one situation explains everything?
0 Replies

Megski84

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 07:19 pm
@ElizeDavis,
If your mom is not giving you information, and she isn't, then your biological father is probably an asshole.

Sincerely,

former HS teacher
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 06:19 am
@ElizeDavis,
The guy who knocked your mom up when she got so drunk she can't remember who it might have been is not your father. Instead of writing off guys who put in the work as your father providing for you and taking care of you and your mom, accept the reality of your situation and give up on thinking the guy who in all likelyhood has completely forgotten about some chick he porked 16 years ago got pregnant and is going to magically care more about you than your actual dad.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 06:26 am
one good reason to find a biological parent is access to medical information, some diseases that run in families can be managed to lessen the risk if you know about it
0 Replies