student again at 56

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 02:57 pm
Hi. I'm almost 56 and finally finishing my Bachelor's Degree. I have an assignment on the aging process, and am wondering if any of you would be willing to help me by answering some questions.
1. How old are you?

2. How physically active are you?

3. What is your definition of aging?

4. What factors have influenced your own aging process?

5. How do you see yourself in relation to others your own age?

6. How do you see yourself with others younger and older than you?

7. How old do you feel?

8. At what age did you feel happiest?

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,926 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 03:18 pm
@studentoflife,
I'm a student again at 51. So, sure.

1. I'm still 51. Wink
  2. I exercise aerobically about a half an hour or more every single day; I also lift weights every day.
  3. Aging is the process of becoming older. Do you mean what do I think of as being 'aged' or 'old'? We are all becoming older, but often what most people think of as 'aging' is when certain physical changes occur, perhaps with mobility or memory issues.
  4. My aging process is affected by genetics, but also by the fact that I have battled weight gain for years.
  5. I'm generally fitter (despite being overweight) than most people my age. My own doctor says my resting BP is that of an athlete.
  6. I'm in the middle. I have friends both older and younger than I am.
  7. It depends. When I get a good night's sleep and don't have major pains, I tend to feel about two decades younger than I am. When my knee acts up, or I'm tired, I tend to feel all 5 decades. I tend to not feel any older than 51, though. When I was really heavy, though, I used to feel older than I was.
  8. When did I feel happiest? It's not age-dependent. I feel about the same, happiness-wise, whenever. It doesn't attach itself to a calendar.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 04:00 pm
@studentoflife,
studentoflife wrote:

Hi. I'm almost 56 and finally finishing my Bachelor's Degree. I have an assignment on the aging process, and am wondering if any of you would be willing to help me by answering some questions.
1. How old are you?

2. How physically active are you?

I swim/treadwater at least 5 times a week, for an hour. Most important is I don't stop moving when I'm in the water, even if it's during rest periods.

3. What is your definition of aging?

That's a good one. I see people decades younger than me, and they are like old farts as far as their attitudes and joi de vivre. My attitude is...
"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter." - Satchel Paige
As far as a definition, well, of course there's the physical part of it, the entropy of the human body, and many times the mind. However, I prefer to define aging within the context of the wisdom that has been gained throughout life.

4. What factors have influenced your own aging process?
I'm like a rat terrier. I don't give up easily when it's something important to me. I'm determined to have a more positive and healthy life than the rest of my family, who it seems have spent most of their time waiting around to die. As I age, I've also realized it's not about doing things fast, but well (even if it's taking a nap Cool )
Other factors....genetics, taking preventitive care, not assuming others know best.

5. How do you see yourself in relation to others your own age?
I'm much younger at heart than other people my age. At 55, I have no problem looking silly, or laughing at myself. Sometimes I think a lot of people my age seem to have had their spirits broken.
I've gone through bad times and big problems, but I can't help bouncing back.

6. How do you see yourself with others younger and older than you?

I enjoy with the elderly, they have a lot to offer. I'm talking about people in their 70's and above.
People with my age are ok, depending on the individual.
Most of the people I'm friendly with are my age to about 15-20 years younger.
People in their 20's of course can be interesting in general, but I don't have much interest in them personally. Been there, done that. They are at the stage when they are finding themselves, making a name for themselves. I've already paid my dues and can't be bothered.

7. How old do you feel?

Can't really put an age on it, I'm just me. Compared to how others seem, probably mid thirties to 40.

8. At what age did you feel happiest?

I used to say I liked being 37. Still young, but old enough to be respected.
Today though, I'd say I like exactly where I am.

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.

0 Replies