Sudsy soft water after Reverse Osmosis

Jk25

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 08:12 am
Hi, We have a water softener for all our house water. We have a reverse osmosis system for drinking water. I was rinsing a glass in the r/o system the other day. I rinsed it about five times and I began to notice instead of it getting less soapy, the more I slapped the glass with my hand, the more sudsy it became. I tried it with a glass straight from the cupboard and same thing. Is it normal that water after running through a reverse osmosis system exhibits suds? It also still FEELS slippery like soft water does. Does this mean the r/o system is not filtering properly? Thank-you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 791 • Replies: 1
No top replies

DarkCrow

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 03:45 pm
Hard water particulates bond to detergents and you will feel and see less suds. "Softer" filtered water will feel slippery. Detergents will suds easier. R/O removes some suspendended materials. Though its really for salt and chemical removal. It may be that any risidual soap on the glass creates suds. For household R/O systems to work efficiently, there must be significant pressure, above 40-50 lbs/in-sq to ensure there is passage through the semi-permeable membrane. I suggest adding a carbon filter prior to the R/O system. The two will really help with taste. The downside is that R/O systems also remove some healthy minerals which is the trade-off.
0 Replies