Brains of Bilinguals?

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 02:10 pm
Hi,

Does brain work differently when we speak two different languages or even more? If I speak English, is that mean my brain works differently than when I speak Arabic?

Is it considered an issue of people who wants to learn new languages? And how it could be solved?

Thank you,

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 03:16 pm
Yes,the brain works differently when we speak two different languages or even more, but it doesn't mean that your brain works differently when you speak English or Arabic. It means that your brain works differently as compared to monolingual people.

I don't know of any issues for people who want to learn new languages other than the fact that the older people get the more difficult it is for them to learn new languages, generally speaking.
white rose

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 04:00 pm
@InfraBlue,
But the language system of English is different than in Arabic.

For instance, when I speak English I have to make my brain used to put subjects before verbs, but in Arabic is the other way around. That is what I meant by saying "brain works differently".
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 04:46 pm
@white rose,
I think what you're referring to is the way that the languages work differently, and you're cognizant of the fact.
white rose

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 06:37 pm
@InfraBlue,
So, this point is not related of how bilinguals' brains work, isn't it?
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 06:39 pm
@white rose,
I thnk it is a similar process your brain goes through when writing your name with your dominate hand vs the other hand. If you are left handed, you can do most things with that hand without having to think about it. It is a natural activity. When you switch hands, you have to concentrate and intentionally direct your body movements until doing with your right hand also becomes second nature to you. The more you practice it, the more natural it becomes.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 10:38 am
@white rose,
white rose wrote:

So, this point is not related of how bilinguals' brains work, isn't it?

Correct.
0 Replies