Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:02 pm
Stilly, g'day

Pic didn't work!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:06 pm
margo wrote:
Pic didn't work!

Working on it, working on it - had to replace silly image of Eric with silly image of Brad. Hell, he doesn't even LOOK Turkish/Anatolian!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:09 pm
Eric looks....well, maybe Turkish?! Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:09 pm
hmmmmm

i'm not much of a brad pitt fan, but i do like big, blowsy, overwrought action/drama movies, so i may give this one a try
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:14 pm
Mr Stillwater - good to see you!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:16 pm
Yeah, Mr Still, where'd you be hiding yourself? Good to see you back. ** Visited Troy some years ago, and all they have there are about seven levels of archaeological digs. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:22 pm
This is at Troy. That's my brother and sister-in-law.

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/troy_500.jpg
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:45 pm
Man - someone should have told them that's the most dangerous bit of that horse to stand under!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:48 pm
I'll tell my brother and his wife the next time I see them. LOL Wink
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:54 pm
And what's stopping you from piling up appropriately sized logs under that tail? (Apart from good taste?)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:58 pm
I found the following in my photo album. Some interesting stuff on Troy.
Excavations have revealed 38 layers of Trojan settlements; most recently, the footings of a late Bronze Age wall have been uncovered. It is the Troy of the blind poet Homer which fascinates, and which archeologiest believe to be the seventh layer from 1300 BC to 900 BC. Like Homer's Troy, Troy VII was also destroyed by fire, but Troy VI was the most impressive and seems to conform more to Homer's descriptions in the Iliad. Another interesting fact about Troy is that Schliemann discovered this legendary city in 1868. Schliemann was also responsible for sponsoring Dr Evans, an English archeologist, who found the city of Knossos in Crete. Schliemann (a German citizen) got his wealth when his brother died in Sacramento (my birthplace), where he traded in gold, and spent a short period there. The only structure in Troy that remains in its some-what original glory is the Roman theater. c.i.
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 06:18 am
I just saw Troy. I really liked it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 07:50 am
I upset my former boyfriend because I didn't like mainstream movies. Troy and that Arthur thing are just answers to Lord of the Rings.

Joyce Kulhawik and Leonard Malten thought Troy was hot because there were characters in the film. DUH!! It's only based on one of the founding pieces of Western Civ!

I thought it looked overwrought from the previews.

As for the Arthur thing, it looks like it stars Brit Clive Owen (I think that's his last name) who was in a Mystery tv thing about a detective who was losing his eyesight. Can't see where the guy is very charismatic and yet someone suggested him to be a new James Bond!

Should I go to see Troy, I would like to go with HArvard classics prof Gregory Nagy. The dinner conversation afterward would be more fun than the movie.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 09:24 am
you say overwrought like it's a bad thing, POM.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 09:40 am
ehBeth,
I hate those big movies. I thought Titanic boring. I dislike when the danger is over and the hero goes back into it or the stabbed villian turns out not to be dead. I have a feeling Troy is Hoplite Titanic.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 10:06 am
Well, Titanic did nothing for me, but I loved Pirates of the Caribbean. I think I might, maybe, give Troy a chance.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 10:40 am
Didn't have the chance to see Pirates, but I think Pirates and Titanic are very different sorts of pictures.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 11:26 am
Without the major critics really clocking in yet, the film is getting very mixed reviews. As a popcorn epic the film is meant to be entertaining and whether one treks down to the cineplex is if they are drawn to the material. Pitt hasn't been drawn himself towards boxoffice driven films and hasn't been in a real hit since "Seven." If the characters are carefully drawn and the action propels the story forward at the right pacing, it could be a good experience. It may just have the effect on its first weekend of knocking the wind out of the "Van Helsing" sails.
0 Replies