Creepy Kids in Creepy Vintage Ads

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 04:29 pm
This is from a blog I like very much, and should resonate with some A2Kers. Enjoy.

Quote:
Message to every American currently between the ages of 55 and 110: I know your secret.

You had an incredibly weird childhood.

Here you are, living in 2013, pretending like your lives are normal, when as it turns out, your formative years were anything but normal. They were bizarre. And so were you. That's the only way to put it.

I know this because I just spent all day looking at disturbing ads from the 1900s, 10s, 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s, all featuring children, and forgive me if I need a few days before I want to be around you again.

Denials will be useless, as I've carefully compiled ample evidence below. Let's take a tour, category by category:

http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=250cab41702ae3ef7a2c1c965&id=68c3a6fb8c&e=510bdab30c
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,881 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 04:32 pm
One example among dozens creepy but hilarious adds:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-C8m0hj2NWJs/Ug2cL9EOIRI/AAAAAAAAE7w/J5TlH1Np3Co/s1600/38.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:55 pm
@Olivier5,
Good find.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 06:05 pm
@Olivier5,
It turns out I don't like canned beans much (Miss Priss the cook) but I think'll I'll enjoy your link and way back then never tasted them. My mother, born and raised in Boston in the early nineteen hundreds didn't do beans.

This is now a mystery to me. Boston baked beans are too sweet to me, by far, but I don't think that was the reason. Maybe she feared farts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 06:08 pm
@Olivier5,
Never saw the first few before, but I stopped at that coconut thing - I'm sure I never saw the ad but liked the candy bar. I think.

Roger and I are about the same age, so you can take us as discerning.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 06:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Never tasted V8. Criminy. I also never was interested in tomato juice, including in bloody marys. Well, I was an odd kid, as it happened. Tomatoes have long been a major like in my diet after my late teens but I still don't drink tomato juice as such. I consider that a remnant of child creeps. My own tomato based soups, all the time.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 06:20 pm
@ossobuco,
So, which politician does this kid look like?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7KIVop8Lyzo/Ug15avGKVVI/AAAAAAAAE7U/4r2MEIrfRr4/s400/8.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 06:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Hillary!!

back later, I have probably posted to the max on this.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Moving along - I never saw those cola type ads. Gurgle.

Admission - my father started the tv department at Foote Cone and Belding, big on ads back in the day. He didn't last long, long story, but I was in an ad twice (cheap) - for Hallmark Cards.

I considered going into advertising (I'd probably be rich by now) but I had read Vance Packard re Hidden Pursuaders.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 06:55 pm
@ossobuco,
No recognition of the next batch of ads..
but this is not over yet.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 07:09 pm
@Olivier5,
I've never seen any of those and I'm glad I was an adult before I saw them.

Scary stuff there my friend!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 10:44 pm
I just looked at the pictures last night, but now reading the text and crying of laughter...

The Wait But What blog has loads of excellent stuff. I discovered it by being copied the Bunny Manifesto, similar to the above about creepy add kids, but even funnier.

The author also provides great insightful psychological advice (on procrastination, being happy, dating... check out: Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy), great science posts, and amazing data vizualisation / graphics. Such as this one:

The Titanic Compared With a Modern Cruiseship
http://waitbutwhy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Titanic-FEATURE.png
0 Replies