What do you get from Able 2 Know?

Fri 30 May, 2014 08:07 pm
Mostly out of sheer curiosity, I would like to hear thoughts on what value there is in the discussions that occur on this website.

Is there an inherent value in people discussing and/or arguing about things anonymously on a platform such as this?

What is it that you, the user take away from this?

Does it help you think about things from a different viewpoint?

Does it help you just to vent frustration?

What is to be gained here?

edgarblythe

Sat 31 May, 2014 08:13 am
I get
Three squares and a cot
Minimum wage
A gold star when I do good
Retirement plan
Choice between burial and cremation
An assured spot in heaven

0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Sat 31 May, 2014 08:32 am
@nononono,
Quote:
Laughing

It's WW1 all over again around here, everybody well in trenched. boom boom.
0 Replies

panzade

Sat 31 May, 2014 08:53 am
@nononono,
Quote:

Most assuredly and your contributions to the Eliot Rodger thread are a perfect example.
But arguing is only a small part of what goes on at A2K.

I'm partial to a thread where we compare different beers we've tried and I host a humour thread where we make up captions for zany cartoons.

Farmerman hosts a thread on sailing ships and another on war art.
And there are countless others that deal in music, books and nature that are interesting to me.
nononono

Sat 31 May, 2014 09:11 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Most assuredly and your contributions to the Eliot Rodger thread are a perfect example.

That's funny, because I was under the impression that most folks don't appreciate my thoughts there. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I honestly didn't mean this thread in a negative way at all. I was just curious what people think of this site. I rather like it myself.

I hope more folks will post their thoughts about the benefits of discussion in this thread.
panzade

Sat 31 May, 2014 10:52 pm
@nononono,
Quote:
That's funny, because I was under the impression that most folks don't appreciate my thoughts there. Perhaps I'm wrong.

They might disagree with you; but they're smart enough to know that without a contrary view this forum would become an echo chamber.
tsarstepan

Sat 31 May, 2014 10:59 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:

They might disagree with you; but they're smart enough to know that without a contrary view this forum would become an echo chamber.

You say that like an echo chamber is a bad thing:
panzade

Sat 31 May, 2014 11:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
You say that like an echo chamber is a bad thing:
Very Happy
0 Replies