Chinese Girl want to learn American English

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 06:35 am
I want to learn American English, in exchange, I can teach you Chinese.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 07:07 am
@shuhong10105211,
American English.

'Sup aw-ite.. I love dis.. I'm down for chillin' . no tizzle in the hizzle. no one diss with my dime or i 'ma busta cap in hiz azz.

We cool?
shuhong10105211

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 07:40 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Are you trying to playing tricks on me? My English is poor.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 07:51 am
@shuhong10105211,
Shuhong, we have hundreds of threads where chinese students of english ask us questions about english grammar and word usage in general.

click on this, which brings you to the esl forum -

http://able2know.org/forum/esl/

ESL is an american term for English as a Second Language. That is an acronym that can be wrong, in that many people learning english may already know more than one language, but it really means ''learning english". Look at questions by a poster named Oristar for a good example.

Since someone tagged your question ESL, you will see that your thread is now the first one seen in the ESL forum.
shuhong10105211

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:31 am
@ossobuco,
thank you so much! My friend told me this forum, she said I may find a language partner here. So I wanna try.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:36 am
@ossobuco,
In the UK we Teach English as a Foreign Language. Courses are known as Tefls.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:48 am
@izzythepush,
I read that a while ago and started to tag threads EFL too, but I got lackadaisical about that!

lack·a·dai·si·cal
ˌlakəˈdāzikəl/
adjective
lacking enthusiasm and determination; carelessly lazy.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 12:34 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

American English.

'Sup aw-ite.. I love dis.. I'm down for chillin' . no tizzle in the hizzle. no one diss with my dime or i 'ma busta cap in hiz azz.

We cool?

Yo my bro!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 12:38 pm
@shuhong10105211,
Welcome shuhong.

I hope you join in some of the discussions here.

I look forward to 'speaking' with you.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 02:01 pm
@shuhong10105211,
Hi Shuhong,

I'll accept your offer to teach us some Chinese language. Let's start with your introduction.

This is it in Chinese script (what is the correct word to describe the characters? In English, we call it the alphabet,)

我是一个中国女孩,我想学美式英语,作为交换,我可以教你中文

This is the Google translate conversion to alphabetical characters with pronunciation symbols.

Wǒ shì yīgè zhōngguó nǚhái, wǒ xiǎng xué měishì yīngyǔ, zuòwéi jiāohuàn, wǒ kěyǐ jiào nǐ zhōngwén

This is the Google translation into English.

I am a Chinese girl, I want to learn American English, in exchange, I can teach you Chinese

Questions:

Do these two words mean Chinese nationality versus Chinese language? zhōngguó /zhōngwén. And are these the characters for them? 中国女 / 你中文

Which word and character mean girl?
roger

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 03:09 pm
@izzythepush,
The way you speak it in the UK, it is a foreign language.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 03:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
I know a little bit of Chinese calligraphy, but none of those letters look familiar as 'girl or woman.'
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 03:54 pm
@shuhong10105211,
Hi,
No I'm not trying to play tricks on you. I was just having some fun. I think your English is pretty good, very good in fact so I wont patronise you by trying to explain fun to you.
Good luck with learning American English.
shuhong10105211

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:00 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ok! Let me explain this.
Google's translation into English is totally correct , but the pinyin form maybe a little bit confusing. In fact, each Chinese character has a pinyin, Google has just combined some of the characters as a whole.

This is the pinyin for each Chinese character:
Wǒ shì yī gè zhōng guó nǚ hái, wǒ xiǎng xué měi shì yīng yǔ, zuò wéi jiāo huàn, wǒ kě yǐ jiào nǐ zhōng wén

Answer to your question:
zhōng guó means China, zhōng wén means Chinese language.
And the Chinese characters for them are 中国 and 中文

the word 女孩 means girl, it's pinyin is nǚ hái.
In a more detailed explaination, 女 means female, 孩 means kid, but sometimes we also call young adults kids. So 女孩 is a female kid, means girl.

shuhong10105211

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:03 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
You are nice! Thank you !
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:07 pm
@shuhong10105211,
What's interesting is that I studied Japanese (some Chinese calligraphy) when I was a young teenager, and what I remember is that writing women three times, 女, in one letter means gossip.

We had a good teacher who made learning fun.
shuhong10105211

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Sure, I will.
Thank you!
I also hope that someone could add my Skype.
Just type 'shuhong10105211', and I can be found.
0 Replies

shuhong10105211

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Your teacher was really interesting!
As we now use simplified Chinese characters in Chinese mainland, so somestimes we Chinese ourselves don't recognize many traditional characters like 姦
shuhong10105211

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:49 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
And now I think you are really cool for explaining to me. Sorry for my misinterpretation.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 10:41 am
@shuhong10105211,
The Japanese language has two additional alphabets with 51 letters each that allows the Japanese to use the Chinese written language. Several decades ago, I was able to obtain our family history from the Hiroshima government that's written in 100% Chinese calligraphy, and not many contemporary Japanese are able to read it. Fortunately for me, my brother had a friend from Japan who translated over 90% of it into English.

Our children never learned to speak or write in Japanese, and I'm sure many third and fourth generation Americans from Asia are the same.

Today, especially in our area, Silicon Valley, where many high tech companies are located, many are studying Chinese and Japanese. When I was a youngster, many studied Latin, German, and Spanish.

When I visited Central Asia some years ago, many children there speak multiple languages. Many approached us to talk to us to practice their English. I was impressed by their friendliness and courtesy towards us seniors.
0 Replies