Don't you hate it when movie reviewers say............

Tobruk

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 04:35 pm
I hate it when movie reviewers tell you that the movie has a twist that you'll never see coming.

Normally makes me think of the most unlikely twist I can think of and that's it. Sad

Movie reviewers today are in too much of a habit of giving too much away...... at least they are in Australia.

Ffs, before I went and saw Titanic way back when Smile one review I read said that Leo dies at the end. Wtf!

I take it everyone's seen Titanic right?!?! Rolling Eyes

Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,050 • Replies: 15
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 04:40 pm
I hate "the feel-good hit of the summer" worse.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 04:42 pm
Reviewers here in the States are generally more circumspect. However, I did happen to read a piece on "Jacob's Ladder" -long after the movie had been released, but before I had seen it- which spilled the beans.

Oddly enough, I still liked the movie. I may even have appreciated it more than I would have otherwise, knowing the twist from the beginning. I doubt if that would be true in most cases, however.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 04:45 pm
Damn, my favorite 7th grade teacher told me to watch Jacob's Ladder as soon as I was old enough and I'd forgotten to.

Thanks Greyfan!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 04:53 pm
Did someone say that Leo DiCaprio is dead?

Sweet!!!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 07:04 pm
Greyfan, you mean there was actually a point to Jacobs Ladder, please tell the rest of us that thought it was just pretentious crap.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 07:39 pm
And another thing. The way they promote comedies these days, you usually know all the best gags before you see the stupid thing, which is basically Kryptonite for comedy. I remember seeing "Something About Mary" and being pretty disappointed, since I saw all the gags coming, thanks to the idiotic coming attractions and previews I'd seen. Idiotic!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:24 pm
I get really tired of "quirky" little Oz productions! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:43 pm
There's still goood Oz movies.

Gallipoli was good. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 05:32 am
msolga wrote:
I get really tired of "quirky" little Oz productions! Rolling Eyes

Tobruk

I meant that I was tired of reviewers constantly describing certain types of Oz films as quirky. Nothing wrong with Australian films ... there are lots of very good ones! Very Happy
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 06:52 am
kev wrote:
Quote:
Greyfan, you mean there was actually a point to Jacobs Ladder, please tell the rest of us that thought it was just pretentious crap.

I could, but that would involve giving away the twist...

I checked some reviews at mrqe.com, and they appeared to be very mixed.

Roger Ebert states it is "powerfully written, directed and acted".

John Nesbit at Culture Dose writes: "I realize some people have found profound spiritual meaning in Jacob's Ladder, while others are still trying to figure out what they've seen. How you react will depend on your own spiritual and film experiences.

Some will absolutely hate Jacob's Ladder; others will love it. It depends on how willing you are to get on Lyne's roller coaster, descend to Dante's Inferno, and ascend to something akin to What Dreams May Come. It's a worthwhile journey, expertly crafted."

(For the record, "What Dreams May Come" is my idea of pretentious crap.)

Sean Caszatt adds: "To label Jacob's Ladder as a horror film does it an immense disservice. Jacob's Ladder is a psychological/philosophical thriller/drama. How's that for a label? Actually, it still doesn't do the film justice.

...It's a film that is likely to provoke your thoughts on perception and life and death. It's not a film for everyone."

Of course a movie could both have a point AND be pretentious crap, and maybe that's the case here.

My experience may have been more positive because I knew going in what the director was doing. My wife, on the other hand, was thoroughly confused with the whole thing. Without the benefit of foreknowledge, my reaction probably would have been the same.

To say more would be unfair to Craven.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:21 am
That's too bad kickycan. When I saw "Something About Mary" I had not seen any previews. I actually did not want to see it because I typically do not like slap stick comedy. I was about 7 months pregnant at the time and thought I would have the baby right there as I was laughing so hard.

I do try not to watch too much of previews as I do not want to get too much information and ruin the movie. As far as reviews, I read them even less. Not just for ruining the movie, but because many times reviews do not tell me squat of whether I will enjoy the movie or not. Just because some so-called movie critic thinks a movie stinks or it is the best thing since sliced bread does not mean I will enjoy it.

By the way, I did love Jacob's Ladder and I did not have any foreknowledge of the movie.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:26 am
Re: Don't you hate it when movie reviewers say............
Tobruk wrote:
I take it everyone's seen Titanic right?!?! Rolling Eyes

Laughing

No, so don't spoil it by revealing whether the ship sinks or not. I want to be surprised.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:50 am
Greyfan,

perhaps I just dont have the intellect to understand what this film is about, in the same way that 35 years ago I had no understanding of what 2001 a space odyssey was about, despite it's world revues, as far as I can see this is the most pointless peice of screen tripe in cinamatic history, if I'm wrong then I will happily bow to your superior knowledge of film making, at the moment my feelings are that Jacobs Ladder is in the same boat as 2001, it is tripe.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 12:04 pm
kev

I'm a great believer in the subjective nature of likes and dislikes; I suspect it would be hard to make a list of either great films, or horrible ones, on which we would all agree.

However, as I also was awed by 2001, I strongly suspect that your list and mine would be more different than most!

Although you are kind to suggest it, I don't think it is a matter of superior knowledge of film making either, since I can't claim that distinction. I just like movies, some more than others, and I'm sure the same is true for you.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 12:22 pm
Movies based on twist or trick endings even if they are bad should be hands-off for anything other than a brief lead-in synopsis. The most respected film critics observe this no spoilers rule. They should respect their readers as they are really giving advice as to whether or not to see the film.

A reviewer that gave away the DeCaprio character's fate would likely be one who did not like the movie and broke the code at the same time disrespecting his readers.

There are mediocre film critics just as there are mediocre films. Not many of them will use the tactic of sniping a film just for self-aggrandizement.
0 Replies