nihilism synonyms

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 08:32 pm
Synonyms for nihilism
noun refusal to believe
atheism lawlessness anarchy denial rejection disbelief abnegation renunciation skepticism disorder repudiation agnosticism terrorism mob rule nonbelief
Antonyms for nihilism
ratification obedience optimism approval allowance faith belief

wah ya think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,948 • Replies: 7
No top replies

classicalcynic

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 03:18 pm
@sannyasa2,
nihilism synonym: cynic, gorgias, illusion, false, no truth, void, emptyness, critical thinking, extreme pessimism, extreme skepticism, science, .

why r u a nihilist?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 04:03 pm
@sannyasa2,
Hope Asa this might be of some help

http://thesaurus.com/browse/nihilism
classicalcynic

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 05:59 pm
@dalehileman,
i think that's the same site he got his list from
JLNobody

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 07:13 pm
I don't want to repeat what I said on a thread in "Dharmic Religions". It goes as follows:

I see a distinction between "positive nihilism" and "negative nihilism" that is inspired by my interpretation of Nietzsche and zen Buddhism.
Negative nihilism--what we usually mean by "nihilism"-- denotes the response of those who, upon realizing there is no absolute truth or metaphysical foundation for its establishment, fall into dispair, like children who have lost their parents.
Positive nihilism denotes the more mature individuals who, upon realizing that "God is dead", that absolutism has no foundation, either for metaphysical or moral truth (or as a basis for political authority), celebrate their inherent freedom. It is the realization that the meaningfulness (including desireable and undesirable meanings) of our life is our creation. It is inter-subjective in nature. Objective Reality is another matter. Before my daily meditation I bow (acknowledging) my inherent inability to conceptually grasp Ultimate Reality. But in my meditation I sometimes realize a fundamental dharmic truth: my one-ness with it. I AM that Ultimate Realtiy, no matter how mysterious it might be. Positive nihilists have out-grown the need for "parents" in the form of absolutes and dogmas. They have a "faith" that is free, energetic and expansive (like Nietzsche's Will to Power). They are spiritual grown-ups.
Signature I celebrate the fact that eventually I and all my fellow human beings will find absolute peace...the peace preceding our birth. The spirit of civil conversation consists in building on another's observation, not overturning it.
1 Reply Fit to Post

Previous • Post: # 5,648,708 • Next
void123

ReplyQuotereport Sun 27 Apr, 2014 07:30 pm
classicalcynic

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 07:46 pm
@JLNobody,
yeah i've read all of nietzsches books excluding birth of tragedy and his other early one but from human all too human to the will to power i've read.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 14 May, 2014 04:09 pm
@classicalcynic,
Quote:
i think that's the same site he got his list from
But Cyn, isn't that okay
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Wed 14 May, 2014 11:50 pm
@sannyasa2,
sannyasa2 wrote:

Synonyms for nihilism
noun refusal to believe
atheism lawlessness anarchy denial rejection disbelief abnegation renunciation skepticism disorder repudiation agnosticism terrorism mob rule nonbelief
Antonyms for nihilism

wah ya think?

Your definition is not quite right.

atheism is not a synonym for nihilism. It indicates a lack of belief in a god, specifically, not a lack of belief in meaning or value, in general.

lawlessness is not a synonym for nihilism. It indicates a lack of belief in social contracts, specifically, not a lack of belief in meaning or value, in general.

"Anarchy, denial, rejection, disbelief, abnegation, renunciation, ejection, disbelief, abnegation, and renunciation" are not synonyms for nihilism. Some of them are antonyms of "certainty", but even "uncertainty" is not the same as nihilism.

The same goes for "skepticism, disorder, repudiation, agnosticism, terrorism. mob rule, and (even) non-belief."

Actually researching a term before you post about it might help...

sannyasa2 wrote:

Antonyms for nihilism

Nope, the antonyms you provided aren't any more accurate than the proposed synonyms...
0 Replies