Van Helsing

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 09:50 am
Saw it yesterday. I have some definite mixed feelings. Overall, I liked it. it was a "romp," and the over the top Dracula (I think someone has watched too many Kevin Cline performances) was great. Kate Beckinsale in a corset is always worth watching, and, surprise of surprises, there was even a plot!
And as a huge James Bond fan, the early scenes in the Vatican Labs were quite rewarding.

The bad things: It seemed to have been edited poorly. Cuts were very rough, and it almost seemed like important backstory elements were randomly excised (If, like me, you read theology, you know that the archangel Gabriel sits at the left hand of God, thus explaining who Van Helsing really is. (at least according to most medieval studies on angelology Wink ), however, I'm sure such comments went right over the heads of most of the audience). In addition, I was dissapointed with the ending. Yes, it worked, but damnit...how dare they!?!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,660 • Replies: 14
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 11:50 am
It's showing now at our local cinema. Maybe I'll go. I liked the trailer.

Kate Beckinsale, you say? Hmmm...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 11:52 am
In leather corset, tight pants, and lots'o'cleavage, wielding weapons! My kind of girl! Is it me, or has she been <ahem> enhanced, since her Cold Comfort Farm days?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 05:10 pm
I saw it yesterday with Quinn and fishin. I had the same general feelings about it as you, hobit. I love this type of movie and didn't have high expectations for the film, so I was happy. But, it was indeed choppy.

I did get the left-hand of god thing and I don't know very much about biblical characters. The idea that frankentein was side-by-side with dracula and werewolves was almost too campy for me. I did like dracula and his brides. Oddly, as a huge Hugh fan, I didn't love his job in the film.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 05:17 pm
littlek wrote:

I did get the left-hand of god thing and I don't know very much about biblical characters. The idea that frankentein was side-by-side with dracula and werewolves was almost too campy for me. I did like dracula and his brides.

Yup, I kept expecting Abbot and Costello to show up. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 05:18 pm
Mmmm, there should have been more humor in it. Might have made the camp fit better....?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 06:46 pm
I'll bet Bram Stoker -- who, after all, created Abe Van Helsing -- is turning over in his grave even as we speak.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 07:43 pm
mmmm, the movie definitely didn't stick to folklore or the original dracula book.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:31 am
Bram Stoker might be waking up in his coffin.

Ebert gave it a decent review and his final line probably says it all.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-vanhelsing07f.html
0 Replies

jive2keys

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 11:29 am
don't spoil it for me... i'm waiting for the crowd to die down.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 11:47 am
No spoilers here -- Ebert gives a brief synopsis but it doesn't reveal any key plot points. The point of these discussions is whether one wants to pluck down the bucks (about $18.00 per person after a trip to the snack bar) to see a film. It gives a personal response from members and I hope they always follow protocol and warn about spoilers (although I see no reason to even offer any spoilers in a review of a new film).

Welcome to A2K and the film forum.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 08:06 am
I thought the previews looked very cornball.

Beckinsale has had her teeth straightened. Don't know if she's had a boob job. Beautiful girl. She did become a mom since Cold Comfort Farm and she was still in her teens when she made her first movie which was the Shakespeare comedy . . .Love's Labor Lost???
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 08:14 am
Re: Van Helsing
hobitbob wrote:
And as a huge James Bond fan, the early scenes in the Vatican Labs were quite rewarding.

From comments on other forums I guess most people didn't catch that connection. As the scene was unfolding I leaned over to Quinn and said "The Friar is "M"! ". Very Happy
0 Replies

otheas

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:22 pm
I saw this and had to comment. fishin' said that the Friar, Carl is like M in his role in the movie. Oddly enough, Dracula's actor who's name I can't remember, was actually M in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and he was in Moulin Rouge as the Duke. And Carl, the Friar, was in LOTR as Faramir and as Audrey in Moulin Rouge. Van Helsing was like, pseudo-Moulin Rouge get-together. I'm weird and notice stuff like that. e_E;
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 04:17 pm
hey hobitbob@!

Well, me being a Buffy and Angel fan, I don't have much interest in seeing this version of a vampire movie. Unless Joss Whedon writes it, I'm gonna rank it lame-o
Very Happy

You folks ever watch VH1 Best Week Ever? They talked about this movie - er, the bad accents, rather. They said Kate sounded like The Count on Sesame Street, lol!
0 Replies