Please help me get rid of Bing . . .

oralloy

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 11:21 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I am not familiar with that search engine,

DuckDuckGo is a search engine that is devoted to not tracking and keeping permanent records of all your searches the way Google does.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 11:29 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
No, i did not click on anything to do with Bing, which appears here to be acting like a virus.

If you have a Microsoft operating system, maybe look in the "add/remove programs" section of your control panel, and see if any Bing software has been installed as part of a Microsoft software update.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 12:21 pm
@oralloy,
Thanks oralloy.

I'm sure Set will look into that. Bing is annoying!

Builder

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 04:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Was just informed of this anonymous search engine.

ixquick is a Dutch company, doing this kind of stuff for almost a decade.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 06:51 am
I tried Duck but it didn't seem as thorough as Google. I had to revert to my standby a couple of times. Still, it's good to have it up in my list of search engines.
Builder

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 06:52 am
@panzade,
Same, panzade. Sometimes the duck just doesn't cut it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 07:50 pm
@Setanta,
Go to > Control Panel > Add Remove Programs

Go through the list of programs and remove (uninstall) anything that says "Bing", "Ask" and probably "Google Toolbar" as well. In general, I like to get rid of all Toolbar programs because I like my browsers to be clean.

You should also look for any other programs in the list which you don't need, or which look suspicious (like Shopping helper/crap, Coupon helper/crap, Buying helper/crap, etc helper/crap). If you see something you can't identify, look at the manufacturer, if it's a recognized company like MicroSoft or HP then it's probably safe (thought not always).

If you can't identify something and you are suspicious of it, just do a google search and put in "what is suspiciouspieceofcrap.exe" and see what the links say. A few links will always say it's a virus because they want to sell you a removal tool (also bogus crap), but if enough links say it's AdWare or CrapWare, then it's probably AdWare of CrapWare and you can uninstall it.

Also look for multiple copies of Anti-Viral programs and remove anything which you didn't install yourself. I usually get rid of AVG and McAfee any time I see them. Never run two different Anti-Viral agents at the same time. They will overlap each other and trigger false alerts and generally make your machine run like sh*t.

If you see Malware Bytes you can probably leave that one alone. It's usually benign and often useful.

Hope that helps.
panzade

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 07:54 am
@rosborne979,
Good advice ros and let me add.

I've been snookered when downloading a free program by not UN-checking a box that adds an obnoxious item. Try to choose a safe download site like cnet.

Also if you were running Microsoft Security Essentials for your Windows XP you need to switch to another free anti-virus program as Microsoft is no longer sending updates to Essentials.

I made the switch to Avast which is a little more more extroverted but still manageable.(It sometimes will prompt you to buy the upgrade but I ignore it)
rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 08:05 pm
@panzade,
On my MSWindows machines I use Avast! as well. It's a good free program. Mac's and Linux don't need anything of course Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 03:22 am
For the people who have mentioned it, i actually do know about control panel and "Add/Remove Programs." Bing does not appear in the program list there. I went to "Settings" in the Chrome window, and removed Bing (English) and Bing (French) from the search engine list. When the computer has been turned off and then turned on again, Bing appears on boot-up, but if i type in "Google" in the address window, Bing disappears, until the next reboot. Now, however, whenever i search for something at Google, the search criterion appears three times in the box. So if i search for "Groucho and Karl Marx," it will read: "Groucho and Karl Marx Groucho and Karl Marx Groucho and Karl Marx." Oh well . . .

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 04:16 pm
@Setanta,
Set, look in the plugins, here's a link, to see if you see anything Bing related there.

chrome://plugins/

We had to do something similar to get rid of the Chrome version of Flash (Pepper Flash) when it was causing many of the FB games not to work properly.

Here's a link to one of the old topics about the Pepper Flash problem.

http://able2know.org/topic/202888-1#post-5183107

Might be a similar thing there that keeps reincarnating Bing.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 04:28 pm
I see Bing in my list of available search engines, but I can't recall downloading it, or ever using it.

I do have the Norton team on the hard drive, but they weren't any help when I absent-mindedly allowed a browser hack from a third-party to be installed.

That took some effort and time to get rid of.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 05:07 pm
@Region Philbis,
Just like Constable Bent.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 05:12 pm
The Bleeping forum has been getting me out of techy trouble for years-
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 07:32 pm
@Setanta,
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you have Bing set as your home page in Chrome. If so, just go into Settings > On Startup > Open a Specific Page (Set Pages) > then remove Bing and set something else, like Google as the Home Page.

The search criteria are cached partially from what you typed before, so you might also want to "Clear Browsing Data"

Beyond that I would check the Extensions you have loaded to make sure there is nothing unusual.

Hope that helps.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 08:21 pm
@rosborne979,
aldaily is set as the home page

bing seems to be gone ... now it's just the google weirdness of tripling search words ... the dang thing probably needs a good bath

(we use the same laptop at home)
rosborne979

Reply Wed 14 May, 2014 04:18 am
@ehBeth,
We'll, at least Bing is gone. That's progress I guess Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 May, 2014 12:59 pm
@rosborne979,
I checked all ot that, and Bing was not an extension, and it did not appear in the list of programs in control panel. I manually removed it from the search engine master list, which is why The Girl says it is gone.
0 Replies