Why do you need to be 16 to take an adult IQ test?

Inks

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 04:48 pm
I'm planning on taking an IQ test and have a couple questions.

The first is actually if the Stanford-Binet test has children's and adults' tests. When I read about IQ tests, I keep seeing Weshler Adult Intelligence Scale, Weshler Child Intelligence scale, and Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale. Why does the Stanford-Binet not have different tests for different ages? How are small kids able to take the same tests as adults?

Secondly, on the Weshler test, why would the cut off age be 16? Doesn't it seem more logical to be 12 or at most 14? I can't imagine a test that could effectively test both a 6 year old and a 15 year old.

The reason I ask is that I'm 15, which disallows me from taking the Weshler Adult test, but I feel that somehow the children's test would be a worse measure of my intelligence. Am I wrong? Would the questions on the test be incredibly easy for me since 6 year olds are also meant to answer them? Wouldn't it make more sense for a 15 year old to take the same test as a 30 year old than a 6 year old? I could wait a year, but I'd really rather not. I would also more enjoy to take a challenging test. Am I totally missing something?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,289 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 05:30 pm
@Inks,
It's smarter to wait a year. Laughing
B'sides, you have no choice in the (grey) matter.

Cheer up....because in one year you certainly won't get any dumber.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 05:41 pm
@Inks,
I take it you're a "smart" fifteen year old?
Ragman

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 05:46 pm
@Inks,
Perhaps you first need to know how the test is spelled. Hopefully, they won't be testing you for that.

Your answer as to how the Wechsler test works and the specifics of how the test is formatted. Check this link out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wechsler_Intelligence_Scale_for_Children
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 11:34 pm
@Inks,
You could take the test but standardization is based on specific age groups, therefore the "score" would tell you nothing specific.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 01:15 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I take it you're a "smart" fifteen year old?

Of course, he/she is smarter than the average bear. Bob, don't you remember how whip smart you were when you 15, it's all down hill from there. I remember how brilliant I was between 14-16. Fortunately I made it thru collage, so my offspring could remind me how many brain cells I lost, and rolled their eyes whenever I intruded on their brilliance to say stupid stuff like, stay in school, don't spend more than you make (even if it's the allowance you hand over from your paycheck) and receive zip for your contribution because these tender souls haven't a clue how money is earned.

But to answer the poster question, if you are not 16, you cannot take tests

intended for adults. I have a hard time even considering 16 year old as adults.
Get back to me when you are working 40 plus hours a week, putting your kids thru collage, and changing your parents diapers. Then we can talk.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why do you need to be 16 to take an adult IQ test?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:52:15