Do government agencies need to be armed?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 03:05 pm
@maxdancona,
C'mon max reconsider you position, it really is silly.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 03:11 pm
@parados,
To correct you, they go through background checks when they apply to be agents. Not all FBI agents carry guns, and those that do not carry guns still go through a background check. It has nothing to do with the ability to carry a gun or not.

You may not like my use of a background check, but it still gets done. I can not purchase a gun in my state unless I go through the background check. If I am going to apply for a concealed carry permit, then I do submit my finger prints and a more through background check is performed.

Whether you like it or not, I get a background check done to see if I'm in a criminal database. The background check done on FBI agents or anyone working for LE for the feds gets a background check and it has nothing to do with guns.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 03:19 pm
@parados,
There is no need to arm agents of the EPA, the Department of Education, the Bureau of Land Management etc. there are plenty of appropriately armed agents of local, State, and Federal law enforcement agencies that be called upon to provide security if it is perceived by the mundane agents as necessary.

If you feel trusting the average citizen with a gun is perilous, it's hard to understand how you think being an employee of a government agency somehow elevates these same people to a status of full responsibility.

If the average Joe with a gun is menace, the average Joe with a gun who assumes he has the authority of The Government, has to be an even bigger menace.

You can't have it both ways. Cops who, arguably, are the best trained and most reliable government agents to be armed often abuse their privilege, and yet we are to think that an employee of the Department of Education can be trusted with a gun and governmental authority?

Face it, you default to all things governmental are good.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 03:21 pm
@parados,
All any of them need to do is ask for an assist from the members of appropriately armed governmental agencies. You know the ones who are trained not to react to turtle egg poaching with a drawn gun.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 03:23 pm
@RABEL222,
Because there is a well documented history of armed "tea-bagers" killing government agents?

0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 04:11 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
To correct you, they go through background checks when they apply to be agents. Not all FBI agents carry guns, and those that do not carry guns still go through a background check. It has nothing to do with the ability to carry a gun or not.

We are talking about other agencies that have agents that carry guns. Changing the subject doesn't change the facts.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 05:14 pm
If a government employee does not have to carry a weapon, I would leave it up to the employee whether to carry. Further, in such a case, the electing employee would have to supply his own weapon.

I don't think it makes sense to prohibit government emplyees from packing when almost everyone else is packing.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 05:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The reason that this whole thread is silly, is that it is about nothing. It is an administrative policy by an organization that really doesn't matter either way.

The DOE deals with a shitload of taxpayer money. Some bureaucrat decided that they should have an investigative arm. Some other bureaucrat was put in charge and hire armed agents.

Sure this could be supported by local law enforcement, or by the FBI. On the other hand, having the people who do the investigation actually make the arrest makes sense. It could be an economic decision, or a logistical one.

Private companies, and even schools, have armed employees to do security (or maybe even investigation at times). There are plenty of reasons that this might make sense for an organization that deals with lots of money.

The real question is why Conservatives didn't make an issue about this until we had a Black president.

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 08:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Nonsense Max. It's about the fact that our government is incredibly over loaded with duplicate bureaucracies that aren't needed. It also has to do with Government over reach and the militarization of these agencies. The government has several agencies that are in fact armed and they need to be. But, there are also agencies that are armed that do not need to be.

Also, what the **** does your last comment supposed to mean. That I am a racist? **** you. If you are fine with various govt agencies being armed than that's great for you. I am not. It has absolutely nothing to do with who the ******* president is or what color he is.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 08:14 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:

Also, what the **** does your last comment supposed to mean. That I am a racist? **** you. If you are fine with various govt agencies being armed than that's great for you. I am not. It has absolutely nothing to do with who the ******* president is or what color he is.

Was anyone upset about government agencies being armed before Obama was elected?
McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 08:19 pm
@maxdancona,
How many tried to heave their weight around on US soil? How many of them were armed before Obama compared to todays number?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 08:21 pm
@McGentrix,
It is your side's conspiracy theory. It is your whipped up outrage. You should back it up.

The DHS has purchased less ammunition in the years since 2012 then in in previous years. I was unable to find numbers for other agencies, probably because the numbers are pretty small so no one (accept for conservative conspiracy theorists) really cares.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 08:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Found this: The Government's Growing Police Force

Consider me outraged.

Now let's do something about it.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 08:35 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The real question is why Conservatives didn't make an issue about this until we had a Black president.

Because he happens to be a Marxist. It wouldn't and doesn't matter what color he is. And an armed government and unarmed citizens equal tyranny.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 08:36 pm
@McGentrix,
I only see the numbers through 2011 which do in fact show a great increase almost all pre-Obama.

Is there any evidence of this conservative outcry before Obama was elected? I see no reason to believe this isn't just another piece of anti-Obama hysteria.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 08:42 pm
@maxdancona,
maybe you don't get. I don't give a crap about prior outcry or outrage. That doesn't matter even a little bit.

It's not even really about Obama as he does not hire the police forces these agencies are arranging. It's about Congress and the courts and all the other greedy pricks lining their pockets and trying to enslave the American people. That you aren't outraged doesn't surprise me. You'll be one of the first to get an armband most likely.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 08:47 pm
@McGentrix,
I get it perfectly well.

This is about conservative hypocrisy. If conservatives were outraged about this during the Bush administration, it would be a little easier to take them seriously.

But they weren't outraged before Obama was president. And now we have had the Obamacare temper tantrum, the Benghazi kerfuffle, the run on ammunition, the Sharia Law scare and Kenyan Birth Certificate scandal... it is just too much.

All this conservative outrage is hypocritical and tiresome. It would be nice if conservatives could do something constructive for a change.

coldjoint

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 09:18 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
It would be nice if conservatives could do something constructive for a change.

They do. That is why the internet is overrun with useful idiots and liberal fucktards, and most importantly shills of every kind pushing theories that haven't been proven or have failed. In short, propagandists. Conservatives are working and producing.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 7 May, 2014 06:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

All any of them need to do is ask for an assist from the members of appropriately armed governmental agencies. You know the ones who are trained not to react to turtle egg poaching with a drawn gun.

Hmmm.... so you are all for wasting government money by requiring that people sit around until another agency can show up. OK.
parados

Reply Wed 7 May, 2014 06:35 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

How many tried to heave their weight around on US soil? How many of them were armed before Obama compared to todays number?

Please provide evidence that more are armed today compared to 2008.
The EPA had armed officers in 1978.