What are my possible Citizenships??

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 12:29 pm
A little confused on what my citizenship options may be.

My father was born in Japan in 1950. His mother was born in Japan and was a Japanese citizen. She was also half Native Hawaiian and she lived in Hawaii for brief periods of time. His father was a US citizen. My understanding is that he was both a US and Japanese citizen at birth. He moved to the US as a child and never renounced either citizenship. Could I have possible Japanese citizenship?

My mother was born in the US. Her mother was also born in the US. Her father was born in Newfoundland in 1893, while it was still part of Great Britain. He was not in Newfoundland when it became part of Canada. When he would travel, he would do so as a British citizen. Does she have possible Canadian or British citizenship?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,226 • Replies: 7

Baldimo

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 12:31 pm
@lola5555,
Where were you born?
Ragman

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 01:01 pm
@lola5555,
I would think a call to either City Hall and/or US Embassy be the place to call.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 01:19 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Where were you born?

in a hospital

is it possible i'm a doctor?
0 Replies

lola5555

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 02:00 pm
Well I was born in the US so I'm clear that I have US citizenship. My question pertains to other citizenship options or the possibility and the citizenship options for my mother.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 02:26 pm
@lola5555,
I don't know the answers, but I'm interested to find out how your questions turn out.

I just looked up embassy and consulate to find out what they do, so it turns out I'll suggest you contact the consulates of the different countries to ask them.. unless you live near Washington, d.c. and then I'd call the embassies there, or drop in. Otherwise I'd write or go to consulates. Here's the link explaining the difference between the two words:
http://geography.about.com/od/politicalgeography/a/embassy.htm

For example, if you want to find the nearest Japanese consulate - here's a link to Japanese consulates in the US:
Embassy and Consulates of Japan in the United States
http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/visa/map.htm
lola5555

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 07:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Okay, thanks...I'll give it a try and let you know!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 10:03 pm
@lola5555,
Yes, let us know how it goes.

Also keep reading - someone who knows more than I do may show up and post here.

Good luck!
0 Replies