Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 06:09 pm
This is a thread to share "news" or any information of interest that you think should be shared with fellow a2kers.

I'll start this thread with the overthrow of Wisconsin's voter ID law by the Supreme Court. Wisconsin could not provide one case of voter fraud, and the SC saw through their guise to minimize votes by democrats.

That's the 'good' news for today.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 06:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Good for the Supreme Court. These new voter ID laws in a number of states are just the most recent examples of attempts to control the votes of the majority by a ruling minority. They used to do it through outright and overt racial discrimination, through the poll tax (which the Supremes found unconstitutional years ago) and through biased literacy tests. Now it's voter ID. Voter fraud? Where such a thing exists, it's the people who run the polls that perpetrate it, not the newly disenfranchised voters.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 06:20 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I wonder how many states with similar voter ID laws will be overturned?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 06:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It was a federal judge, not the supreme court.

Here's a paragraph from an article on the internet.
Quote:
"There is no way to determine exactly how many people Act 23 will prevent or deter from voting without considering the individual circumstances of each of the 300,000 plus citizens who lack an ID," U.S. District Judge Lynn Adelman wrote in his 70-page ruling. "But no matter how imprecise my estimate may be, it is absolutely clear that Act 23 will prevent more legitimate votes from being cast than fraudulent votes."

Adelman, who is based in Milwaukee, found the state didn't have an appropriate rationale for imposing a voter ID requirement. In-person voter impersonation — the only type of fraud a voter ID law can prevent — is nonexistent or virtually nonexistent in Wisconsin, he wrote.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 10:13 am
@cicerone imposter,
Dont get all excited CI. The powers that be in the states will go to the SC and they will overturn the judges ruling by a 5 to 4 vote.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 10:37 am
@RABEL222,
You're probably right, but we can hope, can't we? Mr. Green
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 04:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's another US bungle; it's calling Cuba a terrorist country included with Iran and Syria.

http://news.yahoo.com/cuba-calls-terrorism-designation-u-absurd-manipulative-190134757.html

That's not only absurd, what kind of terrorist activity does our government believe Cuba is an active participant - like Iran and Syria - on terrorist activities?

The people of Cuba have nothing against the US - itS citizens or our country. It's our government that makes empty accusations without understanding much about Cuba and its people.

Canadians can now buy property in Cuba, and Cubans are allowed to travel outside their country. All countries trade with Cuba except the US. The US is the only country that deems Cuba as dangerous. TNCFS
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 04:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I agree with you about Cuba.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 05:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
If our country considers Cuba as a terrorist country, why are Americans able to tour in Cuba through American travel companies - with government approval?

They don't know what the hell they say or do about one of our neighbors.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 06:34 pm
I would visit there if I could afford to.
void123

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 07:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
no ur a terrorist
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 07:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's me with Ivan (farm manager) and Hiroshi Robaina (owner of the farm). They are my friends.
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag215/Tak_Nomura/P1050142_zps7e3b6c8c.jpg

About Hiroshi's grandfather, the icon of cigars in Cuba. His statue and picture are all over the country - in most cigar shops, smoke rooms, and many bars.
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/Legendary-Cuban-Farmer-Alejandro-Robaina-Dies_3871
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 08:28 pm
Do most citizens know English?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 09:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Many in the service industry speaks English, but fortunately for me, my travel buddy, Alexander, speaks fluent Spanish. He lives in Mexico, and owns a realty company in Baja California.

RABEL222

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 04:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Once again partisan politics rears its ugly head. Everyone knows Cuba is not a terroist state but the resident Cubans in this country dont want relations with them so they keep those of us who do hostage to a small minority of politically powerful people.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 06:34 pm
@RABEL222,
For a country that's supposed to provide equal treatment to all seems unable to keep that promise not only in this country, but our relationships with other countries.

I hope the historians treats these bozos with a harsh rebuke. To think Obama received the Nobel Prize for Peace is an oxymoron of the worst kind.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 10:12 pm
Don't Cubans mind having an American military base (Guantanamo) on their soil?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 10:27 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Here's your answer.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/11/opinion/give-guantanamo-back-to-cuba.html?_
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 08:48 am
Stories like this are why I have very little, if any, respect for the criminal justice system in this country. Even if he knew they were going to commit a robbery, he should not be held responsible for first-degree murder. Sounds like another law passed by politicians who want to look "tough on crime."

Guy loans his car to his roomie, gets life in prison

Quote:
Generally, I'm pretty okay with lending my cars to people, though I know many gear heads who aren't. Even so, I don't think I've ever heard a better argument against lending your car than the story of Ryan Holle, who loaned his car to his roommate and found himself doing a life sentence as a result.P

Of course, it's not just the act of loaning the car that got the now 31-year old Holle in trouble. Holle had lent his Chevy Metro to his roommate many, many times before, with no issues. Hell, I even bet the roommate occasionally put some gas in the car. On the morning of March 10, 2003, though, everything changed.4P

Holle had been drinking and partying the night before, and when his roommate asked to use the car, the hungover Holle just said "use the car." According to a New York Times interview, Holle
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 08:58 am
@jcboy,
This was as stupid a prosecution as I have heard of. I don't know if a higher court will care.