Donald Sterling

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:03 pm
I remember the name; also the name, Clippers, rather vaguely, vague even when I lived in LA and payed some attention to sports.

This is just one article -
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/04/26/adam-silver-commissioner-ban-cliippers-owner-donald-sterling/8216803/

Me, I don't get it. I know basketball as a great game with lots of people, some even short (Venice beach, for years). A friend named Frank was by his accounts the world's best point guard (his games not in Venice). I got a big whap on the head there once, from a flying ball, which I waved off as way it goes. What would I do, sue? Nemme.

So now the Clippers owner is (I take it) shown clearly as racist or at least mixing racism and economics. This whole thing is so ... protozoic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 22 • Views: 45,072 • Replies: 1,050

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:06 pm
@ossobuco,
does anyone know how the recording was made? I have a feeling that this is a case where the taping is immoral and should be ignored. Courts ignore ill gotten evidence for a reason.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
Beyond my purview (clippers?). If he is racist, that will show up elsewhere, all over the place.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:30 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Beyond my purview (clippers?). If he is racist, that will show up elsewhere, all over the place.

a short look around tells me that he is a well known racist.....not sure what all the alleged shock is about. I also am not clear why we should treat him any different today then we did yesterday.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:36 pm
@ossobuco,
I have to add, those venice beach games for the under six footers were so good..

also they were mixed gender, and the point guard I remember best was a blond with long braid.. smart, smart.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well, then, I guess this has finally snagged attention.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 08:05 pm
Ah, more..

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sterlings-wife-describes-girlfriend-as-gold-digger-in-lawsuit-20140426,0,4883913.story#axzz300kaoSEp

Let me not even guess. I like sports and am probably - when I look harder - freaked about how it works.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 09:49 pm
I read earlier today, that the NAACP is presenting the man with an award, because, despite his actions, he spends lots of money helping poor kids.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 09:53 pm
Dot
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:13 pm
My reaction was how dare anyone be it the NBA or the NAACP demand that comments that may had been made in a private conversation between a man and his partner be either explained or defended!!!!!!!!

Racism in not pretty but the betrayal of the kind his girlfriend did on him is far worst and I can only wonder how many of us would care for all the private comments we had shared with our wives or girlfriends to be made public.

If I was him I would get my high price lawyers to tell the NBA to go to hell as what right do they have to investigate private conversations between a man and his sexual partner even if the so call lady involved decided to break his trust in so outrageous a manner.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:15 pm
@glitterbag,
what?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:20 pm
@BillRM,
Have you seen that guy???? He is so dreadful looking, he might have a girlfriend but I doubt he has a sexual partner.....unless he hires a pro.
BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:23 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Have you seen that guy???? He is so dreadful looking, he might have a girlfriend but I doubt he has a sexual partner.....unless he hires a pro

Well her actions in recording and then releasing that tape placed her morals below that of most hookers in my eyes.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:02 pm
who here would want to be judged by things they said in arguments with significant others? This kind of thing looks to be very nearly (or exactly) zero tolerance run amuck. I see way too many prissy uptight assholes condemning others to Hell.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Are you calling me that?
the guy's history will show up now, however.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 12:07 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Are you calling me that?
no

Quote:
the guy's history will show up now, however.

the guy who owns a team with the current squad of 14 having 11 being obviously at least part black, the guy who has a GF that is half black and half Hispanic, the guy who apparently is getting a NAACP award for helping black youth.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 02:23 am
@hawkeye10,
I think his 21 year-old girlfriend who is also a "mistress" of his seeing how this man is also married secretly recorded him and perhaps sold it to TMZ. Sterling was always a racist. In 2003 19 tenents who were African-American sued him on the basis of racial discrimination.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 02:26 am
@ossobuco,
See the following:

"The laundry list of Sterling’s misdeeds include a housing discrimination lawsuit he settled for $2.7 million with the government where he was accused of not renting apartments to Hispanics and blacks. He was sued in 2006 by the Justice Department for allegations of housing discrimination in the Koreatown part of Los Angeles. Sterling was sued by longtime Clippers general manger Elgin Baylor for wrongful termination alleging racial and age discrimination after Baylor lost his job."

Reference: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2014/04/26/donald-sterling-proves-once-again-why-he-is-the-worst-owner-in-sports/

0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 02:27 am
@BillRM,
It's not betrayal if it's true. Regardless of the privacy of the matter I'm glad it was made to be public because there are far too many people in this country that claim that "racism is dead because Obama is president."

EDIT: BTW NAACP hasn't demanded anything, in fact they actual gave Sterling a lifetime achievement award not too long ago.
Buttermilk

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 02:39 am
@Buttermilk,
For the record (not that it matters) I am African-American and happen to be a Los Angeles Lakers fan (not that that matters as well) but I'm more so concerned about the naive whites who are going to start defending this man. I've already read someone (not here) claim the "it's a private conversation argument"--Okay, it was a private conversation, but let's state the facts:

1) Donald Sterling was, is, presently, a racist per the previous information I've supplied.

2) Did I mention he was a racist? If anyone cares to read did anyone recall his Black History month tribute? In 2011 Donald Sterling was going to admit 1,000 underprivileged children for free. Seriously, to commemorate Black History month you propagate the generalization that all black kids are poor?

See: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/01/sports/la-sp-plaschke-20110302

3) If you listened to the recording, it is obvious that he is surrounded by a racist circle of friends due to his animation regarding his girlfriend posting pictures of herself on instagram with the great Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

4) In 2003 he was sued by 19 tenents due to housing discrimination and settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

Even though I'm not a Clipper fan if there should be any cause for African-Americans and Latinos to join together non-violently for a cause it would be to boycott Clipper games. In addition, I hope Adam Silver the NBA Commisioner chew his ass. Minorities not only players but fans and consumers make up over 80% of this game.

Then again I'm not going to be surprised if minorities continue to go to Clipper games a lot of people do not have principles these days and would rather see a Blake Griffin dunk than take a stand against an undercover rich Klan member (sarcasm).