Anyone knows Hardy's novel <A Pair of Blue Eyes>

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 09:27 am
Is there anyone ever reading the novel <A Pair of Blue Eyes>? And can you tell me something about the plot summary?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,102 • Replies: 22
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 05:34 pm
When a random sample of 100 people were given a minute to name as many Thomas Hardy novels as they could, A Pair Of Blue Eyes was the only title nobody named, which probably indicates it's his most obscure work.

It'll probably be quicker if you read it yourself.
SweetHao1996

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 03:12 am
@izzythepush,
I have just read a few chapters and I found it a little bit difficult to read with so many Old English words.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 03:18 am
God forbid that your homework should be difficult, or actually require you to read an entire book. Hardy doesn't use "Old English," which is a specific term and which is also called Anglo-Saxon. He often renders local dialect from the southwest of England, but once again, there's no guarantee that your homework won't be difficult. In fact, that's how one learns.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 03:45 am
@Setanta,
He also changes place names, somewhat pointlessly, Winchester becomes Wintoncester. Most of his work is set specifically in the county of Dorset. His cottage is now a tourist attraction.
Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 04:24 am
@izzythepush,
A lot of his novels, especially the earlier ones, were attempts at romantic novels, quasi-gothic romances. I think he was trying to give the public what the thought they would want, and he was modestly successful at that. His first published novel, Desperate Remedies, was one such novel, and was mildly successful. I've been trying to plow my way through it, but i find it tedious. I felt the same way about Two on a Tower. I guess the Victorian vision of romance is not one that would attract a modern reader.

His "Victorian realism" novels are much better, both in terms of literary composition and as compelling story-telling which draws the reader in and holds their attention. Given his background, his literary success is all the more interesting.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 05:19 am
@Setanta,
My first encounter was with his poetry which was quite good apart from the ones where he is lamenting his dead wife which I found a bit self indulgent. I then went on to study Tess Of The d'Urbervilles which put me off him for life. I found him completely miserable and doom laden. I was put off by the narrative right at the beginning about blighted apples and blighted worlds, then turned off completely when Tess' confession to Angel ended up being pushed under the carpet. All that stuff at the sacrificial stone at Stonehenge was overly melodramatic.
Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 05:28 am
@izzythepush,
That was the kind of thing that a moralizing generation loved, though. The Mayor of Casterbridge is first-rate story-telling, and the aspect of moral retribution at the end didn't spoil it for me. Hardy was also obsessed with class consciousness. The title character in Jude the Obscure cannot use his accidental, excellent education to overcome his lowly origins. There seems to be a lot of Hardy's own life mixed into his fiction. His father was a builder, and his brother followed that profession (very successfully). Thomas got a modest, small town education, and then was articled to an architect, which eventually became his profession. He often took the advice of other writers and publishers because he didn't trust his own instincts, and inferentially (from his correspondence), he always regretted his lack of formal education. Of course, in his era, the powers that were were men educated in the Public School system and then at Oxbridge.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 05:47 am
@Setanta,
It's not so different now.

This is a list of the Cabinet with what schools and universities they attended.

David Cameron, Prime Minister: Eton College (£33,000 a year), Oxford University

Nick Clegg, Deputy Prime Minister: Westminster School (£32,000 a year), Cambridge University

William Hague, Foreign Secretary: Ripon Grammar School (state), Oxford University

George Osborne, Chancellor: St Paul's School (£31,000 a year), Oxford University

Danny Alexander, Treasury Chief Secretary: Lochaber High School (state), Oxford University

Theresa May, Home Secretary: Holton Park Grammar (state), Oxford University

Philip Hammond, Defence Secretary: Shenfield School (state), Oxford University

Vince Cable, Business Secretary: Nunthorpe Grammar (state), Cambridge University

Iain Duncan Smith, Work and Pensions Secretary: St Peter's RC School, Solihull (state), Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst

Chris Grayling, Justice Secretary: High Wycombe Royal Grammar (state), Cambridge University

Michael Gove, Education Secretary: Robert Gordon's College (£11,000 a year), Oxford Uni

Eric Pickles, Communities Secretary: Greenhead Grammar (state), Leeds Polytechnic

Jeremy Hunt, Health Secretary: Charterhouse School (£33,000 a year), Oxford University

Owen Paterson, Environment Secretary: Radley College (£32,000 a year), Cambridge University

Justine Greening, International Development Sec.: Oakwood Comp. (state), Southampton Uni:

Alistair Carmichael, Scottish Secretary: Islay High School (state), Aberdeen University

Ed Davey, Energy Secretary: Nottingham High School (£12,000 a year), Oxford University

Patrick McLoughlin, Transport Secretary: Cardinal Griffin RC (state), Rodbaston College

Maria Miller, Culture Secretary: Brynteg Comprehensive (state), London School of Economics

Theresa Villiers, Northern Ireland: Francis Holland School (£15,000 a year), Bristol University

David Jones, Welsh Secretary: Ruabon Grammar School (state), University College London

Lord Hill, Leader of the House of Lords: Highgate School (£17,000 a year), Cambridge

(It's a bit out of date, state educated Maria Miller has been replaced by state educated Sajid Javid )
0 Replies

SweetHao1996

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:20 am
@Setanta,
Thank you so much. But I still find it difficult due to my poor vocabulary. And when I refer to the dictionary, I forgot the former plot.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:23 am
@SweetHao1996,
There are film versions of some of his other novels, notably Far From The Madding Crowd and Tess Of The d'Urbervilles maybe you could watch some of those to familiarise yourself with the accent/dialect.
SweetHao1996

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:28 am
@izzythepush,
Classic novels are excellent, but I don't find them interesting enough to read. So could you please recommend several contemporary novels to me?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:31 am
@SweetHao1996,
Cider With Rosie by Laurie Lee deals with a similar rural environment to Hardy. I can't think of many rural English novels that are contemporary.

Is it just rural novels you're interested in or anything else?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:38 am
@SweetHao1996,
SweetHao1996 wrote:

Classic novels are excellent, but I don't find them interesting enough to read. So could you please recommend several contemporary novels to me?

Can you go into more detail about what you are looking in for in reading? And why? That way we can off suggestions that better fit what you are looking for.

Are you reading for the simple pleasure of reading? Reading to learn English (informally ... not for school or possible career)? Reading to learn English (formally as you are or will be a college student)?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:53 am
re hardy: in the 60's, he wasn't as popular as he seems to be now.

Then, someone must have read Far From the Madding Crowd - "a merely realistic dream country" ... and Hardy County was born.

And when the snobs were told about, all wanted to settle in Havenpool. But found that only in "mini-but-a-lot-cheaper-Eastbourne-like" strip of beaches some wasteland, dunes and amusement halls were cheap to get.
And thus Sandbanks became the most expensive place in the UK second only to London.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 07:57 am
@izzythepush,
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps262a4b30.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 09:02 am
The most famous beer of the Eldridge Pope brewery (Dorchester) was the Thomas Hardy's ale.

0 Replies

SweetHao1996

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 09:15 am
@izzythepush,
I'm not so interested in rural novels. Just contemporary novels and I don't care about the background. Thank you.
0 Replies

SweetHao1996

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 09:17 am
@tsarstepan,
I am a freshman and I just want find some funny books so that I can continue reading and learn English.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 09:48 am
@SweetHao1996,
Three Men in a boat and Three men on a bummel by Jerome K Jerome.

Though it's not a novel and additionally quite informative, 1066 and all that by W. C. Sellar and R. J. Yeatman is an easy to read tongue-in-cheek history of England.

(I've read all those with a rather limited knowledge of English as a young schoolboy.)

1. Forums
  2. » Anyone knows Hardy's novel <A Pair of Blue Eyes>
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:02:00