What does "which" refer to in "which my mother had done"?

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 08:29 am
Grammatically, "which" seems to refer to "children and child abuse done by mother".
Do you also have the same sense?
But logically, I doubt it. So "which" refer to "the works on issues about children and child abuse"?
Have you unmistakably understood immediately what the "which" refer to?

Context:

My mother was very involved in civic activity and at some point, when I joined this faculty, I realized I had tried to combine my parents’ careers. I was a lawyer, but I worked on issues having to do with children and child abuse, which my mother had done. I have two wonderful sisters, neither who planned to be a lawyer. My younger sister’s career launched as a librarian, but in a way, she joined the family business. She is a lawyer for libraries and it’s a very different world today given the digital revolution. My older sister has been a lawyer, but she’s also been a film critic and a founder of the modern corporate governance movement. They’re both very amazing and very independent people who’ve invented their own careers.

More:
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2014/04/my-life-was-going-to-have-to-deal-with-issues-of-social-injustice/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 380 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 10:17 am
@oristarA,
Abuse is. not 'done', it is committed, thus the meaning is immediately clear.,
dalehileman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 11:33 am
@oristarA,
It seems "which" refers to working on issues. Maybe a typo, or word dropped, eg, "…had also done"
0 Replies

McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 11:51 am
@oristarA,

To edit, for clarity and simplicity:

My mother was very involved in civic activity. ... I worked on issues having to do with children and child abuse, which my mother BEFORE ME had ALSO done.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 08:55 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Abuse is. not 'done', it is committed, thus the meaning is immediately clear.,

Excellent.
0 Replies