U.S.A
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 05:45 pm
It must mean he thinks she's a nag
anamrujoi

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 07:03 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I found this expression in an article, but forgive me for saying, i still can't see the correlation between a woman and a horsebox. Thank you for answering, I see that English it's a very interesting language
Germlat

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 07:18 pm
@anamrujoi,
Ok...so I've never heard this term used in America...for the Irish , it can mean mate.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 07:22 pm
@anamrujoi,
I've never heard of it used that way. I've also not heard of it used for this -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsebox

What they are showing in the wikipedia link is, to me, a horse trailer - at least as it is called in California.
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 09:12 pm
@ossobuco,
yeh, Its usually a trailer for hauling your horsey. In the Chesapeake its also locally used to describe the sliding companionway hatch on the aft of a Bungie or a 7 log. (Itd be the Chessie equivalent of a "Booby Hatch".
On a deepwater sailboat of any kind, the name Booby hatch has a foggy etymology . Ws it where Albatross would try to stay out of the weather ? (That's one ). The term horsebox I guess comes from the shape of a horse trailer. kinda rounded up front, like the Booby hatch door

http://www.cwbw.com/1052BOO.jpg

This is not anything of the Chesapeake , its a ketch named the Lorcha, out of SW Habah.

I could only find an example of a booby hatch and not a 'horsebox" , but they look basically the same
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 09:30 pm
@farmerman,
PS, this is not "A Lorcha" which is a name of a kind of sailing boat first built by the Portuguese, This is NAMED the Lorcha because of its type of"lorchalike" hull (no lapstrake construction) It borrowed that from Lorcha construction. Its a simple hull design and (according to the architect0 its gonna be faaast.

0 Replies