Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 02:35 pm
What are the specific factors that cause cyanosis through cold exposure? I know cyanosis is caused by lack of oxygen in the blood but lack of oxygen doesn't always cause cyanosis and the internet is simply as good a medical school as I need so I can't seem to find out the specific set of circumstamces under which cold exposure would induce cyanosis. I also need to know what cold exposure cyanosis would look like and what part of the body it would affect, just the extremities or all of it over time, that sort of thing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 714 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 04:37 pm
@JSylversmyth,
Is this frostbite that you're talking about?
0 Replies

Zarathustra

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 06:40 pm
@JSylversmyth,
Cyanosis is caused by low oxygen levels but there is more than one way to have a low oxygen level. The blood has to be properly oxygenated AND it has to be circulated to each cell.

Think in terms of what the body's physiological response to cold is for. It is to minimize loss of body heat. A major heat regulating process is heat loss through the skin. Our capillaries contract to reduce this loss so blood circulation is reduced. The body will protect core heat at the expense of our extremities so at some point the capillaries no longer carry enough blood to these areas (no matter how oxygenated) and the symptoms of cyanosis occurs.

Cyanosis is not limited to the extremities. In cases where it is caused by a blood clot, for instance, the cyanosis can occur wherever the blood flow has been affected.
0 Replies