Is it a taboo to ask someone's faith in America?

Thomas

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 11:20 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
I want to inquire whether he is a Christian, because in Christianity, the dove is the incarnation of Holy Spirit.

Be that as it may doves are also a delicacy in Europe. Your average fast food restaurant won't serve them, but in restaurants that cater to foodies and gourmets, you can find them on the menu quite frequently. Since Europe is predominantly Christian, your implied assumption that Christians don't eat doves is false by demonstration.
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 11:25 pm
@Thomas,
well, I don't know that it proves anything about Christians. remember they also seem to practice religious based vampirism as part of their cult's worship practices.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 01:37 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Be that as it may doves are also a delicacy in Europe.

Irreverent French people often call the Holy Spirit "le Pigeon". There is a French limerick about a young atheist:

Il y avait un jeune homme de Dijon,
Qui n’aimait du tout la religion.
Il dit: “Eh ma foi;
Je deteste tous les trois:
Le Pere, et le Fils, et le Pigeon"

Church and State were separated in France in 1905, and there is a very strong secular movement there.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 01:42 pm
I've eaten dove on several occasions orister. I don't particularly care for it, but it's what the host had prepared and was serving (my neighbor)

I don't know if this has been addressed, but I don't think any christian would have qualms about eating a dove, as far as religion. It's just some incredibly stupid, albeit pretty, bird.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 01:47 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

The best defense for that question. I hope I can remember to answer thusly if confronted by an annoying proselytizing fool.

If you say "I bless the day I turned to Jesus" they won't waste any more time on you.

I've always worried if I said something like that they'd want to sit around a talk about Jesus.
contrex

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 02:19 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I've always worried if I said something like that they'd want to sit around a talk about Jesus.

I can do that too! I have had them end up asking me for guidance. My wife says it's uncanny.

Miller

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 02:20 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

... how to know other people's faith without offending them?

Why not mind your own business and if I were you, I'd stay clear of fellows who go around eating doves. Hasn't this guy ever heard of a Big Mac?

chai2

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:42 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

I'd stay clear of fellows who go around eating doves. Hasn't this guy ever heard of a Big Mac?

Why?

I'm sure a dove is much healthier and more nutrituous than a big mac.
chai2

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:43 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

chai2 wrote:

I can do that too! I have had them end up asking me for guidance. My wife says it's uncanny.

Wow, that's wild.

I don't want to sit around and talk about Jesus though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:49 pm
I would never eat dove with door-to-door Christians--you'd never get rid of them.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:50 pm
@chai2,
tell em that "My Jesus isa personal Jesus and, if you don't mind, Id not like to share" .

They really don't wanna **** with Catholics .

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:52 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

I'm sure a dove is much healthier and more nutrituous than a big mac
Dove has a greater share of your daily requirements of proteins and vitamins than does "Le Royale"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 03:54 pm
@farmerman,
So, a simple JMJ?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 05:29 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

tell em that "My Jesus isa personal Jesus and, if you don't mind, Id not like to share" .

They really don't wanna **** with Catholics .

Thank you, I will play them this video if they try to make me share.

If they don't get off my back, I'll play them this version...

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 05:51 pm
@chai2,
just watch out. I think you could creep out a JW but not Mormons.
chai2

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 06:10 pm
@farmerman,
I'll have to be careful then. There's a lot more wandering Mormons around here that JW's.

That reminds me.
During my first marriage, I came home to find my first husband talking to 2 complete strangers in our house.

This was in Okee-*******-chobee.
I can't remember which they were. I think maybe they were some sick derivation of one or the other.

All I know is within 5 minutes of walking in the door, I was offended by their comments about other races, and when I first tried to talk to them, they basically told me not to interrupt, as they were talking to the man of the house.

I told them to get the **** out.

My ex, who was actually the anti-christ, thought they were really funny.

Yeah, he wasn't the one who was home when they tried to come back a few days later and talk to him. I told them if they didn't leave I'd shoot them.
farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 07:54 pm
@chai2,
Good thing you were in Florida. If you shot them in Pa, the paperwork would really screw up your weekend.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 08:28 pm
In my twenties, I lived alone in west LA, and someone came to my place and whomped on the door near midnight. I didn't answer. Turned out to be an acquaintance. Much about nothing. No way I'd just answer.

At our first gallery studio, about four blocks from the home of distribution in a key area, banging on door late at night. Same nada, it turned out to be a friend of my to be husband. In turn, his family had lived through a south LA home invasion (described here on a2k on other posts). Turned out the friend was bombed. Don't do that.

Anyway, I did answer twice since I've been here in New Mexico. One turned out to be my neighbor screaming, as her house was on fire and mine was threatened. I finally answered. It was around 4 a.m.

The second was probably a person living for a bit up the street, needing money to get her son out of jail. I sympathize, but no can do even if I wanted to.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 09:04 pm
It is if they're a Scientologist
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 10:13 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Someone said he shot and ate doves. I want to inquire whether he is a Christian, because in Christianity, the dove is the incarnation of Holy Spirit. But I worry that I may offend him by asking his faith because some English materials introduce the idea that inquiring other people's faith is a taboo in the United States.
If it is a taboo, how to know other people's faith without offending them?

It's not at all taboo to politely ask an American what their faith might be. Now if your purpose is to thrown his Christian faith in the face of the dove hunter, that would be rude.
0 Replies