RainSoft water softener problems

Pugama

Wed 5 May, 2004 08:43 am
I purchased one of these units several years ago for a price not worth the system. Does anyone know where to get parts and filters for these units? Going directly thru Rainsoft is a nightmare and their prices are ridiculous. Can anyone help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 70 • Views: 284,123 • Replies: 257
Topic Closed
No top replies

Pugama

Wed 26 May, 2004 01:09 pm
I'd just need the filters but I don't know the make of the unit as that was not furnished. Would serial numbers help? Or what info do you need?

Thanks for your reaponse.
buckeyekid

Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:30 pm
Rainsoft HELP!!!
We have been having problems from time to time since we bought our Rainsoft system 3 years ago. The low salt alarm never goes off and now we are having problems getting the thing to use salt. Ayone have any ideas?
riverwalk

Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:55 pm
Rainsoft System- we regret buying it
Horrible, horrible customer service. Techs dont show up to do work, system doesnt work as promised, and "service managers" refuse to rturn phone calls. We regret ever dealing with this "company" and I will NEVER have anything positive to say about them. If you are considering buying one of these systems, PLEASE reconsider. You will find many complaints, like mine, associated with Rainsoft. What a waste of our money. They ought to be shut down.
0 Replies

junior

Tue 26 Oct, 2004 06:52 pm
IM ALSO A VICTIM OF RAINSOFT WATER SOFTENER
PRODUCT. I PURCHASED THE UNIT FEW YEARS BACK AND THE MONEY I PAID IS NOT WORTH OF HOW THEY TREAT ME. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE. THAT COMPANY NEED TO SHUT DOWN BEFORE THEY CAN HAVE MORE VICTIMS.JM
0 Replies

escadachambourd

Thu 3 Feb, 2005 02:32 pm
Re: Rainsoft HELP!!!
I'm not sure if you ever got help with your system or not, but if it's not using salt then it sounds like your timer might need to be replaced. If it's less than five years old you SHOULD have some kind of warranty on the timer, but if you call the rainsoft dealer that sold it to you they can tell you for sure. They shouldn't charge you for the timer, but might for labor involved.
0 Replies

PureWater

Sat 12 Feb, 2005 10:09 pm
Rain Soft
If you are in the Florida area you can contact the Florida Attorney Generals office for complaints against Rain Soft. Rain Soft has an agreement with them to perform service or be fined.
Visit EDIT (Moderator): Link Removed to learn more about water treatment or about water facts. They have a lot of information and including one HUGE glossary.
dancingnancy

Sun 13 Feb, 2005 06:12 pm
Oh my -- I'm so glad I saw this. I have a friend to tell who'll be so relieved to know that others have had major issues with their Rainsoft customer service as well.
0 Replies

Waterguy

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 02:08 pm
Re: RainSoft water softener problems
Pugama wrote:
I purchased one of these units several years ago for a price not worth the system. Does anyone know where to get parts and filters for these units? Going directly thru Rainsoft is a nightmare and their prices are ridiculous. Can anyone help?

I am in the softner buisness and I can tell you that rainsoft though very expensive is the best on the market. If you need filters go to a local dist. They will not be called rainsoft but will sell its products. Never go directly to any body. Your lucky youve got that system they are the only ones with lifetime warranty
Waterguy

Mon 28 Feb, 2005 02:16 pm
If you dont reset the salt timer your machine beleves its out and stops working You people destroy good equipt. when you srart thinking you bought a piece of crap and dont look at it logically
Stop saying the system is busted HUMAN ERROR is the problem
dancingnancy

Tue 1 Mar, 2005 01:08 pm
Waterguy has a point. Sorry...
0 Replies

shadow745

Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:40 am
I Agree With Waterguy!!!
We have been using a Rainsoft softener (on city water) for over 8 years with very little maintenance needed. Anytime we called our local Rainsoft dealer (Carpenter's Water Treatment, Durham, N.C.) they responded immediately without question. We recently bought a new home that has well water. We knew there was an issue with the water, but bought it because of the decent price. I thought the softener would handle any problems here, but that wasn't the case. I called Carpenter's on a Saturday and told them I had a problem with iron and a low PH. The sales rep was here on SUNDAY (what other company would do that) and tested the water for us. He told me what the problem was and said he would have a chemical feed system installed on Monday if that's what we wanted. He explained two different systems and told me the pros and cons of each. Sure enough they arrived the next morning and installed it. Their water solutions and customer relations are fantastic. We're totally pleased and look forward to many years of service from our system. Later!
H2OGuy

Thu 31 Mar, 2005 04:12 pm
RainSoft Water Treatment Systems
I'm sorry to hear of you folks having problems with your system, but you've got to realize a couple of things.

1. There are competitors of RainSoft in the United States who actually pay people to come to sites like this and post stuff about RainSoft. I know this because I've spoke with people who have done it. Also, there are people who post these things while in fits of rages, then realize afterwards that they forgot to hit the appropriate button or something like that. The internet CAN be a great tool to research, but if you get ahold of one of these people, you could get mis-information. That goes with ANY research. If you saw it on the internet, it doesn't mean it's true.

2. The complaints I'm seeing are about individual dealerships, but nobody has even mentioned that RainSoft has about 400 offices in the United States and they are in 37 different countries. There are some dealerships that don't respond to things like they should. That doesn't mean they're all horrible and they all eat babies. Use some common sense here.

3. Do some complaint searches for other items you use daily. Try searching for America's favorite Department Store. Or do a search for some fast food restaurants. How about the cars you drive. Did anyone on here not do business with McDonalds, Walmart or Ford or Chevy because of a complaint they saw by someone who couldn't read the manual, or couldn't figure something out?

Point is, sure, RainSoft has some complaints out there. Which ones are valid and which ones are a result of someone just wanting to bash their competition online? RainSoft has millions of satisfied customers. Has anyone thought to contact them? Your local RainSoft dealership can provide you with people in your area who have the system and you can talk to them directly!

Don't be so quick to judge over 400 offices based on one or two bad dealers, or based on what someone did at 1am on the internet to mess with their competition.

You can probably spot the people who do this based on the amount of FLAMES this post gets... WATCH!
unhappyconsumer

Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:49 pm
Rainsoft water system problems
I am a Rainsoft/ Discovery Marketing Customer. Also known as a Consumer Sucker. I am not being paid to post this complaint. I wish I was but what is happening to me and my husband is real. My story is long and detailed. Which started with the purchase of a well needed water purification system. We have lived in our home for 15 years and are on well water. We have had other water softener systems. But this one seemed like it would be the one. Our water is tough to treat it has tannins, rust, iron, and odor. The salesmen assured no problem, the system could handle it all and has done so for other families in the same county. He could see by our water we were in desperate need. The salesmen stayed till after 10:00pm to show us all the water test and our savings if we purchased the system. The system was to be installed the next day. No one showed till late that night. We did not have water till after 10:00pm. Our problems began right away. We still had hard yellow water and the plumbing was leaking. Also we had an air purifier installed. It was attached to the duct work in the attic. The installer drilled a hole in the ceiling in the hallway and ran the wire down the wall to the outlet. Then glued the wire to the wall. I got on the phone right away and called the service number. They had the inspector call me back. He said he could not make out to our home till the following week. When the inspector came out (which was not the man I spoke to on the phone) she took pictures and set up a service call for the next day. She said that they would get everything straight and get the system up and running correctly. Our 3 day cancellation period was up and we did not have a running system. She said not to worry about the financial end because the finance company would not pay until they spoke with us. We had a no show the next day. We had to call to set another date. When they finally showed the situation got worse. The caused some pipes to break, which happened in the middle of the night. This burnt up the water pump and burnt up the electrical cord and outlet. We are lucky there was no fire! We got them out to fix the plumbing but it was at our expense to fix the pump and electrical. Still with hard yellow water and no drains. The water runs out into the yard when the system recycles. The finance company called us and I told them our problems. They contacted Rainsoft/ Discovery Marketing and was told the system was installed and working. We had no idea what was going on so the finance company paid.
That all happened in July 2004. We have had our system for almost 10 months and it still does not work. Service Techs come out between 2 and 4 times a month. They have been here as long as 15mins to 1.5 hours to service the system with the same results Hard Yellow Water with no drain. We have spoke with the president of the company and a handful of different managers. The system is not broke, and it is not because of improper maintenance. The system does not work. We did not agree to purchase a system that they would try to get to work for us. Discovery Marketing told us after they have added more resin, replaced the resin column, replaced the resin column with a larger one, replaced the carbon column, replaced the duct bill almost every month, and rewired the timers we need to add ash to the salt column to help the chlorine work better but doing so will make the water smell fishy. So they changed the location of the resin column and the carbon column. Now the carbon column is last and we still have Hard Yellow Water. They did come out last month and put in a French drain but that collapsed in 2 days and they have not repaired it yet.
After researching to find help we have found other complaints in our county as well as other counties all with Discovery Marketing about the system not working, over pricing and lousy service. As for the salesmen they tried to use us as a reference. It would of worked if it wasn't for my kids. On their way home from school one day last month their bus passed a house down the road from ours that had a Rainsoft truck installing a system. When they got home they said something to me. The next day I went over to talk to the people and told them all about my situation with Rainsoft/Discovery Marketing. They were very surprised because the salesman used our name to say we purchased a system last year and we loved it. Their water was hard and yellow too and their system was only three days old. No Human Error on their part. Well they were lucky they still had till midnight to cancel and did so.
This system was supposed to make our lives easier and financially it was supposed to pay for itself with the savings of not having to buy bottled water, soap, etc.
Instead will still have to use bottled water and we uses twice as much soap then before. The system cycles every night. 1 night 1hour and 2 nights 2 hours. It erodes the yard, uses more electricity, we now have to add chlorine and ash every week and four blocks of salt every month. And we get the joy of calling every week to complain and the luxury of waiting for the service tech. any time between 9:00am and 5:00pm if the work order went in and someone decides to show. We have asked Discovery Marketing to take the system back they said NO! they will send someone to fix it. I think after 10 months it not going to do anything different.
So we called a different Rainsoft number they said Discovery Marketing is only a distributor and our issues have nothing to do with them (Rainsoft). I wanted to now why Discovery Marketing represent themselves as Rainsoft when they answer their phones, its on their trucks, and service tech uniforms if they are not Rainsoft. The person we spoke with said that was a problem they have had with Discovery Marketing and they were working on it. And Discovery Marketing does not follow their forum and they have to make the decision to take back the system.
Rainsoft and Discovery Marketing are not the victims! They need to take responsibility. Consumers are who keep these people in business. They should care. So if I have to tell as many people as I can about my situation and they choose not to purchase the product. Then that is Rainsoft and Discovery Marketing's fault. As for what was said about McDonalds, if your were to purchase bad food they would offer you a new order if you choose or refund your money. If you shop at Wal-Mart they offer you an exchange or refund your money. As for Ford and Chev there are lemon laws to protect the consumers.
Not all consumers are idiots even though some companies treat us that way.
We are stuck with an industry that sells us a lot of crap. Pushed on us with lies and deceitful misleading advertisements. Our purchases are with hope that we are getting what the
Companies say we are paying for.
0 Replies

shadow745

Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:46 am
Rainsoft Problems!!!
I do have sympathy for you unhappyconsumer. Our issues with our well water are a thing of the past. For many years we lived in a small town and had city provided water. It was horrible (bad taste and smell, chlorine, etc.) . We decided to have a Rainsoft softener installed to cure the problem. We used it for 8 years with hardly any problems (cheap to fix). Of course we had to buy salt every few months, but after tasting the difference it was well worth it. We recently bought a new home (as mentioned previously) and the well water was wicked. We knew there was an issue with the water when we decided to purchase it and that may have been why it sat on the market for about 2 years. I worked in wastewater treatment for 10 years and know that pretty much any water on the face of the Earth can be treated and made potable. Even though our new "chem feed" system was $4,000 we did buy the house for $24,000 less than appraised value, so I think it's a good tradeoff. We have our new system installed along with our 8 year old softener and it all works great. Of course there is some maintenance that has to be done, but we have perfect water in return. Our cost (chemicals/salt) is going to cost around $30/month, but we were paying more than that for our city water before we moved. I'd also like to mention that our local Rainsoft dealer (Carpenter's/Durham,N.C.) is great to work with. They are always here on time, extremely friendly and get the job done with the highest quality of work in a reasonable amount of time. Our salesman guaranteed me our water would be perfect and regardless of what might be in the well water (iron, low PH, hardness, bacteria, etc.) this system will handle it. Seeing is believing! I'm totally impressed and that's a tough thing to do. I wish your experience could have been more like ours. Later!
0 Replies

TONYA

Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:37 am
PROBLEMS AND CONCERNS WITH RAINSOFT PRODUCTS AND EMPLOYEES
I BOUGHT THIS SYSTEM ABOUT 5 YRS AGO AND IT HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT A PROBLEM FOR ME I WAS NEVER SHOWED OR TOLD HOW IT WORKS IT WAS JUST DROPPED OFF I HAVE CALLED SEVERAL TIMES TO GET IT SERVICED AND I I WAS NEVER TOLD THERE WAS A CHARGE I KNEW THAT I DID HAVE A WARRANITY BUT FOR WHAT? I ASK THEY ARE STILL GONNA CHARGE YOU NOW THERE'S A ELECTRICAL PROBLEM WITH THE SYSTEM AND MY BREAKERS FOR MY HOUSE CUT OFF AND ON ALLL THE TIME THERE IS A BIG LEAK IN THE BULDING WHERE THE SYSTEM IS AND THERE ALOT OF THE CONNECTOR CORDS NEAR THIS LEAK I HAVE 4 SMALL CHILDREN THAT NEED TO BE ABLE TO GO TO THIS BULDING AND NOW THEY CAN'T IT IS WAY TO DANGEROUS MY LIGHT BILL HAS BEEN $600.00 EVERY MONTH DUE TO THIS VERY SAME PROBLEM I WOULD SUGGEST THAT ANYONE NEEDING A FILTER BUY ONE AT WALMART INSTEAD OF BUYING FROM HERE YOU WILL GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND WILL NOT BE CHARGED OF SOME FAKE FEES THAT AREN;T TOLD UP FRONT PLUS THE WATER TASTES WORSE NOW THEN WHEN I BOUGHT THE SYSTEM I PAID OVER $6000 FOR THIS AND DON'T RECCOMEND ANYONE TO BUY THIS SYSTEM PLEASE ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE PIC OF THE SYSTEM AND THE SHAPE THAT IT IS IN I CAN EMAIL THOSE PIC SAVE YOURSELF TIME AND MONEY
0 Replies

fernandiaz

Thu 21 Apr, 2005 01:56 pm
Rainsoft Service
Hi I am (or was) a Rainsoft customer.
I purchase my water softener less than a year ago.
The equipment was not providing the service expected by the 8th month of use.
We called and the service tech told us that the problem was that we were not using their salt.
We order the salt and the equipment was not working properly, the quality of the water was terrible.
We called and they wanted 100.00 to checke what we asked them to do in the first call.
After arguing with customerservice they sent a tech and he determine that there was a timmer defective.
I said cool, do you have with you?
And he answered that was in back order.
This was 6 weeks ago. He also reply that they will charge a service charge of 100.00,but the part was under warranty.
" warranty" ha.
The sad thing is that I can not get the part from any other place.
Rainsoft SUCKS.
An I will provide this information to anyone that I hear that is in the process of purchasing a filtration system.
Fernando
0 Replies

TONYA

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:24 pm
CAN WE TAKE LEGAL ACTIONS?
I HAVE READ ALL OF THE CONCERNS AND PROBLEMS WITH THIS EQUIPMENT AND THERE WORKERS NOW MY QUESTION WOULD BE CAN WE DO SOMETHING TO STOP THEM FROM SCAMMIMG OTHER PEOPLE AT THE PRESENT TIME I INTEND TO RESEARCH AND FIND OUT MORE INFO ON WHAT WE ALL CAN DO TO KEEP FROM GETTING SUCKED UP IN THERE LITTLE SCAM THEY HAVE GOING ON IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS PLZ FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME I INTEND TO KEEP SEARCHING UNTIL THIS IS PUT TO A STOP THIS IS VERY UNFAIR TO INNOCENT PEOPLE TO GET INVOLVED WITH SUCH PEOPLE WHEN ALL WE WANTED WAS GOOD CLEAN WATER $6000.00 IS NOT A EASY AMOUNT TO COME UP WITH FOR ANYONE AND TO HAVE PAID THIS AND NO SUCCESS WITH THE PRODUCT
mfg324

Sat 7 May, 2005 12:29 am
I agree with Waterguy... I think it's easy for people to jump on a site such as this and thrash the reputation of a company. My experience with Rainsoft has been quite different actually. I believe that it unfortunately depends on which "particular dealership" you are dealing with, considering that they obviously are not owned and operated by the same person. Each is separately owned, so each basically lives by their own integrity. I have owned an AQRODC Rainsoft system for a couple of years now and have had nothing but excellent service and support from my local dealership. Rainsoft does provide a life-time warranty, which in my opinion is excellent. Sure filters are going to be expensive.... but that's the price you pay to be healthy I guess....they're expensive everywhere....And it sure beats the hell out of having to buy and lug around a trunk full of gallons of water..lol...It is always possible to contact another dealership if you are currently having problems with your local.....Give them a break...MG
bigmamma

Mon 16 May, 2005 01:40 pm
Potential Rainsoft Buyer
I was visited by a Rainsoft salesman on Saturday and was supposed to have my water softener installed yesterday. However, as it was a Sunday I asked them to come back today. It is very expensive, but I was impressed by the presentation and they seem to know what they are talking about. I have since done some research of my own and found out that the salt water softeners are not as good as the water softeners that do NOT use salt. Does anyone have any comments or advice about non-salt softeners?