Black Mold On Stucco Ceiling-Is Furniture Safe?

Elisea

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 06:05 pm
I am finally getting to pick up my parent's furniture; I bought a house with a living room-yeah! I planned to travel about 600 miles, round trip to pick up the furniture this coming weekend. I found out a few days ago that the room where the furniture has been stored had black mold growing in the ceiling. Does black mold "fall" or does it grow "in place." Would the furniture be safe to move into my home even though you cannot see the mold visibly? Should I try to clean the furniture; or, is it too unsafe? I would like the furniture but safety is more important. Any advice would be helpful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,411 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 06:27 pm
@Elisea,
I'm no expert, but I suspect you can just clean it. Maybe wear a mask while doing so if you're concerned about inhaling any mold.
Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 07:03 pm
@jespah,
To Elisea:

If the ceiling has back mold, then I'd make a good guess that the moisture in wherever it was stored also created mold and embedded itself into the upholstery.

There is lots of missing info here such as the composition of the furniture upholstery. Attempting to clean mold off of cloth upholstery (even highly durable Herculon) material s going to change the color. Leather, - might be even harder to cause a good solution. Micro-fiber will not respond well to such cleaning attempts .

I can't tell you for certain a solution with any great expertise. I used to sell furniture...and many people used stain-preventers such a Scotchguard to attempt to prevent stains; however, once a stain like mold gets into material even professionals won't get good results.

I have heard that when it's on walls, people use dilute bleach that can help reduce or remove it from a wall. Ceiling mildew in a room or bathroom people often use sodium triphosphate.

Of course, whatever you use, you'd need a mask and have plenty of ventilation while you attempt this. Are you sure this is worth the trouble?

That's the extent of what I'm aware.
0 Replies

markbattles

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 10:05 pm
@Elisea,
I can't tell you for certain a solution with any great expertise. I used to sell furniture and many people used stain-preventers.
0 Replies