Do you think stepping on bugs is wrong - why or why not?

Thrylix

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 08:37 am
I'm 22 years old, had to go to a picnic today. I got up to throw something in the garbage and at the garbage can noticed a horde of ants bustling around a little ant mound. I was sort of bored so I started idly dragging my foot over them. After demolishing their little home, I walked back to the blanket.

When I sat back down I tilted my foot on its side to show my friend who sort of snickered when we saw that a ton of ants were stuck to some mud/grass on my running shoe and half alive. As I was doing this another kid, who I believe may be hindu, called me a "white bully" and "inhumane" because I step on bugs. I told him to bend down and kiss my stinking feet. I know, not nice heh.

Now, I've been stepping on bugs my whole life. I know some people respect all life and even believe in reincarnation. But If I'm stepping on this kid's uncle bob or grandma jane, is that really such a bad thing? I guess my thoughts would be eh, better luck next time. There was probably a reason they ended up as tiny ants on the bottom of my sneaker.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 10,204 • Replies: 80

jespah

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 09:57 am
@Thrylix,
It's not the reincarnation angle that really matters, it's the fact that you were pettily cruel for your own amusement.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 10:01 am
@Thrylix,
You killed something because you were bored?

That's just nasty.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 10:01 am
You're 22 years old, and you're calling yourself and someone else in your story kids?

That, and based on every other thing you wrote, makes me think you accidently typed a 2 for the first digit of your age, instead of a 1.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 10:07 am
@Thrylix,
Thrylix wrote:

I'm 22 years old, had to go to a picnic today. I got up to throw something in the garbage and at the garbage can noticed a horde of ants bustling around a little ant mound. I was sort of bored so I started idly dragging my foot over them. After demolishing their little home, I walked back to the blanket.

When I sat back down I tilted my foot on its side to show my friend who sort of snickered when we saw that a ton of ants were stuck to some mud/grass on my running shoe and half alive. As I was doing this another kid, who I believe may be hindu, called me a "white bully" and "inhumane" because I step on bugs. I told him to bend down and kiss my stinking feet. I know, not nice heh.

Now, I've been stepping on bugs my whole life. I know some people respect all life and even believe in reincarnation. But If I'm stepping on this kid's uncle bob or grandma jane, is that really such a bad thing? I guess my thoughts would be eh, better luck next time. There was probably a reason they ended up as tiny ants on the bottom of my sneaker.

Doing it intentionally reveals aspects of your character that are not appealing. Because why would you stop at ants? If you do it accidentally it is completely different because there was no intention. The fact that you purposely meant to cause them harm is the problem. Never mind the reincarnation stuff. The fact is where do you draw the line?

If you are willing to do that with ants, what are you not willing to do that if you have the power or ability? This is what makes you an asshole. I know you just see them as unimportant insects but that is the whole point. Superiority complex at it's finest. You think you should be allowed to do that because you are in a position to be able to. That makes you a pathetic person.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 11:44 am
@Thrylix,
When I find it necessary I first intone, "Sorry fella"

When I see the tv ad with father and son delighted when the latter snags one, I wonder if it even enters eithers' mind to then immediately bang him against the handy rock

The fish of course
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 12:29 pm
@Thrylix,
If you were my son, I'd be disappointed, embarrassed and really pissed I had raised a flaming asshole bully. Plus you seem fairly pleased with your witty retort to the child you offended, "kiss your stinking feet, heh".

You may have confused this forum with some nitwit social network where inbreds stop by and brag about their staggering lack of intellect and consideration of other people. Here's a news flash for you, you won't remain 22 forever. Even if you can't mature past the age of 12, by the time you are 32 or 42 there will be another crop of 12 to 22 year olds who will think they know everything and love to think they are outrageously shocking. By that time, you will look like an old man to the 22 year old assholes, because they can't imagine ever growing up. You won't be shocked because life will have exposed you to a ton of unfair, boorish incidents, you will just shake your head in disgust. You are not clever or shocking, you are a cliche of stupid youth. The good news is, life won't let you get away with this forever, eventually you will grow up.
0 Replies

Thixian

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 12:29 pm
@Thrylix,
If he thinks it's wrong to step on bugs, that's his prerogative. You obviously think it's OK, and that's your prerogative, so he has no right to say you're inhumane, and it's certainly uncalled for to call you a "white bully."

See, it's not really black and white though. When it comes to right and wrong it just depends on how much value one places on something. If someone cuts down a tree most people won't take notice, while some will chain themselves to it. As long as humans can think for themselves they will never agree on a moral compass. Some don't have a moral compass. Most agree that intervention is sometimes necessary, but intervening for a few ants is excessive, and name calling certainly won't change anything either.

"Do you think stepping on bugs is wrong - why or why not?"

If I see an ant wandering around by itself and happen to squish it for no reason at all, I do feel an ounce of guilt because it was so small, harmless, and defenseless by itself. On the other hand I might not feel much guilt for treating an entire yard for bugs simply because I don't want them there anymore. I used to try and burn them with a magnifying glass, which was very difficult. Those little bastards run fast. What I did do that I feel bad about now, is pour salt on snails, or chuck them at the ground to crack 'em. I'm a little undecided on the morality of that one. They're just snails, but I definitely wouldn't do it again, although the salting effect is still a bit fascinating. I wouldn't be appalled to see a kid doing it, but if it was my own I would suggest that it might be suffering.

"But If I'm stepping on this kid's uncle bob or grandma jane, is that really such a bad thing?"

Lol...no. I'm open to reincarnation, but I don't really think bugs are included, and if they are, well, that's a bugs life.

chai2

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 12:56 pm
@Thixian,
Thrylix and Thixian.

Yeah, sure. Just so happen to be first time posters, huh?

Who's going to chime in next, Thxias?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 01:20 pm
@Thixian,
You and your alter ego are crass bores. Self indulgent, smug, self congratulating, assholes with a crap load of excuses for your self indulgent behaviour and quick to point out why it rude for other to remark when you behave in a intentionally offensive manner.

You can rationalize your behaviour, but you can't force people to respect you. When people hold you in low regard, they may not tell you, but they won't be helpful to you. Enjoy your argument now, these things have a way of coming back to bite you in the butt.
Thixian

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 02:36 pm
@glitterbag,
Aren't you a ray of sunshine? I don't know what I said to offend you. I'm sorry that I'm a first time poster and that the username I chose starts with "th." Chai 2 made an untrue suggestion and now you want to join in? This question was top on the list. It's still on the first page. I don't really know what your problem with me is. When I said I used to do those things, I was referring to my childhood, and I feel bad about it now. I'm pretty sure ants and snails don't feel pain though. I was just looking for a new forum, but I think I'll pass on this one. I don't know why I should try to prove to you that I don't know anything about the OP. There's not much I can say for proof anyway...I'm a 26 year old female...Thixian is from Star Wars. I used to date a Star Wars geek, and always thought Thixian sounded cool. You have a great day. Enjoy being better than everyone else.
chai2

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 05:06 pm
@Thixian,
Via con carne Thixian, and may the farce be with you.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 06:18 pm
Where oh where is Xerxes?

Me, I will step on a bug sometimes:

the crickets who camp behind my stove and refrigerator. They are hard to catch with a small bottle if you are me. I mostly ignore them.

the cockroaches who show up less and less each year, so far. Gone if I see them.

A black widow spider. We had them in LA in my childhood (lost a ring down some steps, no one wanted to go there and it was an antique ruby, that is all now under a several story apartment building). Had them when remodeling, I got less scared, but not by all that much. A black widow in my kitchen here in New Mexico in my indian bells by the back door, nesting. I went to clean the bells and had a black widow in my sink. No way I'd capture it in a jar. Gone, and it took me a while, sponge hitting.

But mostly I'm ok with letting stuff live.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 06:37 pm
@Thixian,
Thixian wrote:

Aren't you a ray of sunshine? I don't know what I said to offend you. I'm sorry that I'm a first time poster and that the username I chose starts with "th." Chai 2 made an untrue suggestion and now you want to join in? This question was top on the list. It's still on the first page. I don't really know what your problem with me is. When I said I used to do those things, I was referring to my childhood, and I feel bad about it now. I'm pretty sure ants and snails don't feel pain though. I was just looking for a new forum, but I think I'll pass on this one. I don't know why I should try to prove to you that I don't know anything about the OP. There's not much I can say for proof anyway...I'm a 26 year old female...Thixian is from Star Wars. I used to date a Star Wars geek, and always thought Thixian sounded cool. You have a great day. Enjoy being better than everyone else.

Nice try, you must think we're younger and less clever than you. You claim you tried to burn ants with a magnifying glass, but you were just a kid. So now I'm supposed to feel chastened? Awwww, that's so cute you think you're that smart.

I am having a great day, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to enjoy being better than you. Sorry you don't like it here, but you're not a good fit. So, you have a good day as well, miss or mister pissy pants
glitterbag

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 06:39 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Via con carne Thixian, and may the farce be with you.

Oh that's funny, you made me laugh
0 Replies

Thixian

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 09:23 pm
@glitterbag,
What is your problem? Do you always talk to people this way? I'm not claiming to be smarter than or more clever than you. You're the one acting like a complete jerk and I'm miss pissy pants?

Quote:
You claim you tried to burn ants with a magnifying glass, but you were just a kid.

What do you even mean? Are you saying that a kid wouldn't be able to do this, or are you saying that I'm justifying it because I was a kid? That's what kids do. How am I trying to chastise you, and why do you feel the need to belittle me and tell me that you're better than me?

glitterbag

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 09:44 pm
@Thixian,
Don't give it anymore thought, I can't waste anymore time on kids burning ants, and since they think the ants don't feel pain, wonder why the ants move so quickly. Sigh.

I've got some eggs to dye before easter for the kids, no time left to think about killing insects to alleviate boredom.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 09:51 pm
@Thixian,
Welcome to A2K Thixian.

I look forward to seeing you participating around the boards.
Thixian

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 10:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Lol. Thanks. I feel so very welcome already. There do seem to be a lot of interesting people and topics though, and my shooting the **** on the internet time is limited, so we'll see. Smile
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 10:29 pm
@Thixian,
It can be as serious or light-hearted as you want it to be here.

Lots of interesting corners to poke around in.
0 Replies