English language question

soa

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 05:36 pm
This may seem trivial but its actually pertaining to law so the understanding of it is quite heavy. I will be simplifying my example using their punctuation for discussion.

(A) "Fruit" means any of the following, provided that subsection (A)(2) of this section applies only to companies harvesting in 2012 or thereafter:
(A)(1)...
(A)(2)...

Would the above mean ONLY if (A)(2) harvests done in 2012 or later would qualify as "fruit"? Meaning anything in (A)(1) must also be harvested according to (A)(2) in 2012 or later... [My understanding] OR

Would it mean "fruit" is anything defined later in this section AND subsection (A)(2) must be harvested in 2012 or later?

Or what do you think?
Thanks for your time and thoughts!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 5,522 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 12:52 am
@soa,
"Fruit" is anything defined later in this section AND ("provided" modifies "any") subsection (A)(2) must be harvested in 2012 or later.

Any of these is allowed in a cake provided that (d) only applies to cakes baked after Jan 1st 2014

(a) Eggs
(b) Flour
(c) Sugar
(d) Monosodium glutamate
(e) Cocoa powder

Monosodium glutamate was forbidden in cakes before the date mentioned, but allowed after.

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 08:28 am
@soa,
soa wrote:

This may seem trivial but its actually pertaining to law so the understanding of it is quite heavy. I will be simplifying my example using their punctuation for discussion.

(A) "Fruit" means any of the following, provided that subsection (A)(2) of this section applies only to companies harvesting in 2012 or thereafter:
(A)(1)...
(A)(2)...

Would the above mean ONLY if (A)(2) harvests done in 2012 or later would qualify as "fruit"? Meaning anything in (A)(1) must also be harvested according to (A)(2) in 2012 or later... [My understanding] OR

Would it mean "fruit" is anything defined later in this section AND subsection (A)(2) must be harvested in 2012 or later?

It means that anything that falls within one of the definitions is "fruit," but that, if that thing was harvested before 2012, it would need to fall under one of the definitions other than (A)(2) in order to qualify as "fruit."
0 Replies