Smell, the science and the poetry

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 08:13 pm
I have apparently inherited a very diminished sense of smell. I can occasionally smell some things (cooked carrots, for example) but had a class room (comparative anatomy) when I stayed stuck while a mercaptan emptied the place, and I finally followed.

On the other hand, I'm known as engaged with food and I swear I love flavors.

I think I know the general thinking, but is there anything new in science about smelling?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,611 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 08:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm pretty night blind, 45 minutes to adapt in contrast to most people's timing, and have had lousy peripheral vision forever (but I didn't know I was different until the night we got stuck in the mojave desert and I said I couldn't see the stars). I have very diminished sense of smell, probably via my father who couldn't smell either. I got along fine earlier when swifter, but now am a wary person.

On the other hand, I am visually keen re interest. Beauty can make me cry.

We don't drape our disabilities here on a2k, probably defensively or not to be whining, but sometimes loss is interesting.

I know many have great losses. And maybe poetry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 10:00 pm
Looking it all up, not a thing I like to do, I see that I don't understand new modes for testing dark adaptation.
Did the participants wear electrodes on their eyes? Whatever, the Jules Stein place was ok with me back then.

Or you could ask diane, who is often surprised by my problems walking in a garage, even after all these years.
0 Replies