Getting data from Another website using Curl is legal or illegal

Fri 11 Apr, 2014 02:30 pm
I want to Know i am making one Directory of CPA, and I'm Getting CPA Company Information From other Websites.

I'm Using Curl and save in database. so is there any issues.

Thank you

maxdancona

Fri 11 Apr, 2014 02:32 pm
@danishpirani,
How can that be illegal? Curl is just another browser. If the information is publicly available, then it is publicly available.

danishpirani

Fri 11 Apr, 2014 02:34 pm
@maxdancona,
Thank you for Quick Reply. yes data is available for public.
0 Replies

Peter Frouman

Fri 11 Apr, 2014 03:19 pm
@danishpirani,
Based on your post, it seems you are doing more than just retrieving content from a web site: you are copying it into a database for a directory you apparently intend to publish. Depending on exactly what you are copying, this could create potential copyright issues so you should do more research and get professional legal advice to make sure you are not doing anything that may constitute copyright infringement.

If you are only aggregating and copying facts (which are not copyrightable) such as CPA company names and contact information, you'll probably be fine but there could be issues if you're copying and republishing anything more than that.

See also
Wikipedia: Feist v. Rural
Feist Publications, Inc., v. Rural Telephone Service Co., 499 U.S. 340 (1991)
0 Replies

foreclosureus1

Mon 28 Apr, 2014 12:53 am
@danishpirani,
I don't think there's much of a problem .. however its always better to talk to a lawyer.
0 Replies